Pages: 4 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Vicster
Vicster
662 posts

Re: Wow! What a week!
Jun 19, 2006, 17:59
Dee

That is some road trip you've just done....

How long did it take you?

Did you sleep at all?

You should post a weblog for us all to drool over

Vx
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Re: Wow!
Jun 19, 2006, 19:28
Please don't shoot me.

No-one's going to shoot you Vicster but wow, I'm almost envious that you have an unexplored Avebury waiting for you.

From which direction are you going to approach Avebury when you do eventually go? I'm not trying to influence you but if it were me on my first visit I'd come in from Marlborough, stopping off at the Sanctuary for your first view of Silbury. Stop off again, just down the road, at the West Kennet lay-by and climb the hill up to the long barrow (from where you'll get another spectacular view of Silbury).

If you want to walk into Avebury you could park in the little Silbury lay-by and either follow the footpath along the Winterbourne or climb Waden Hill from where you'll get another spectacular view of Silbury. Then finally, down the far side of Waden Hill, walking into Avebury along the Avenue.

Sorry, got a bit carried away there. Enjoy - however you go there :-)
goffik
goffik
3926 posts

Jun 19, 2006, 20:00
Heh! That wasn't me - was travelling light, so the big papery TMA was WAY off mybaggage allowance! ;o)

Was truly looking forward to meeting you - if only we weren't all so shy... :oP

G x
Moth
Moth
5236 posts

Jun 19, 2006, 23:54
I'm with LS! Deffo enter by walking along the Avenue!!!!

love

Moth
Vicster
Vicster
662 posts

Jun 20, 2006, 08:14
Ooh, don't apologise, thanks for the advice. We tend to go north on our trips out, up into Cumbria and Scotland, although each year I say "this year I'll definitely go..." and never quite make it.

Maybe 2006 will be the one!
Vicster
Vicster
662 posts

Jun 20, 2006, 17:42
dee
1955 posts

Jun 23, 2006, 12:07
The trip was 9 days long and some visits were fleeting, we tried to stay at each place for at least two hours to soak up the vibe. When we got back to Wiltshire we all said that we could turn round and do it all again!! I could try and do a web blog thang but im crap on computers!! I will try, i promise. Couldnt say which was my fave place but the most interesing site was the Serpent mound in Argyll......... Goffik mate, sorry i didnt reply sooner but ive been away from the pc, Yeah , Gerald was nice....Its a shame he hasnt received more recognition for his finds. Busty is well cool, he's an ariel photograper but i refuse to fly with him coz i HATE flying!! Ive missed some amazing trips cos of this...... Im deffo gonna come to the picnic in August....see yous all there, BIG UP DA HH!!!
goffik
goffik
3926 posts

Jun 23, 2006, 13:00
No worries, ma maaan! :o)

So you knew Busty from before? I've seen him on telly - thought I recognised him but wasn't till he said that it clicked..! Yes - VERY interesting - I'd be interested to hear more!

I hope Gerald gets more recognition, too. At least he's started to round these parts, anyway! Good for him, I reckon! :o)

Nice bunch of people all round. Be good to see ya at the picnic!

What's this 'ere "Serpent mound" of which you speak?

G x
dee
1955 posts

Jun 23, 2006, 13:50
I'll get Busty to come to the picnic.... Serpent mound is near Loch Nell, Oban. It is mentioned in E.O Gordons book - Prehistoric London, written 1914, and also in Strontoiller bit in M.A. Cope didnt visit tho. It is also mentioned in this site under Loch Nell, but the person who wrote it didnt get the right place , if they had they would have shit themselves!! This mound is unique. A large head with chambered tomb at its crown and stone eyes, then the back curves round in an S shape with half buried stones acting as vertibrae. This site is ruiness, and there is nowhere to park (Busty was freakin out!!) so i visited first to confirm it was the mound (we had been looking in the wrong place thanks to mr copes rather loose OS ref in MA!!) I got maria to come and confirm it was indeed the serpent mound, couldnt stay long but i will never forget it, i would love to return and spend some time there. It is on private land so you have to be careful.....google the serpent mound, oban and you can read all about it!!!
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Jun 23, 2006, 13:54
Seeing as it's not xmas I'll be very cynical and describe the serpent mound as an esker that has a chambered cairn at one end.
Pages: 4 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index