The Modern Antiquarian Forum »
Wow! What a week!

Pages: 4 – [ 1 2 3 4 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
dee
1955 posts

Wow! What a week!
Jun 19, 2006, 11:16
Just got back from a megalithic road trip of mega proportions! The moonrise on Sunday ar Callanish was beautiful. couldnt quite believe i was there! Met up with Goffik, what a nice guy...big up da goff!! Checked out the Serpent mound near Oban (more on that later) then headed off to Kilmartin....the peace and vibe of that place is something else. Next we went to the Hully hill monument which was interesting...then to Roughting Linn and Duddo 5 stones which were breathtaking...then finally to Cumbria for a quick fix from L:ong Meg, followed by Castlerigg and Swinside (wow) then back to the south and a visit to Avebury to finish off...... im stoned on the stones of this fabulous land......!! Back at work now but i cannot be phased......not yet anyway!!!
goffik
goffik
3926 posts

Re: Wow! What a week!
Jun 19, 2006, 14:40
Woo! Glad you enjoyed Kilmartin! Hard not to, though, isn't it? Amazing place - just GOTS to get us back there soon...

Was good to meet you, too! Another name to a face for my "I-Spy book of TMA contributors"! ;o)

Was a nice evening - shame it was so short. Partly my fault for not realising just how dang far we were based from the Doune Braes Hotel! Gerald's nice, innee? As were the others (gah! I'm terrible for names! Busty Taylor was one I remember though... interesting chap! Not an easy name to forget either..!)

Have to do it all over again. Hopefully see you in August for the Megameet Picnic thingy!

G x
Vicster
Vicster
662 posts

Jun 19, 2006, 15:00
How come you all got to see each other and I met NO-ONE from this forum? It was something I said, wasn't it....:-(
goffik
goffik
3926 posts

Jun 19, 2006, 15:12
> It was something I said, wasn't it...

Nah - it was something you DIDN'T say - ie "Yes! I'll join you lot in the Doune Breas Hotel at 8:30pm on Monday night"! ;o)

I think you must have already been on the road by the time Gerald posted the meeting time... What a shame! However... I could have sworn I saw a spark of recognition in someone's eyes on my way back down to the car park around 1:30am or so... :o)

Next time (hopefully BEFORE the next moon skim!) we'll make proper arrangements..! You coming down to Avebury at the beginning of August for the picnic?

G x
BigSweetie
BigSweetie
806 posts

Jun 19, 2006, 15:24
> How come you all got to see each other and I met NO-ONE from this forum? It was something I said, wasn't it....:-(

well I saw Mr & Mrs Goffik because I was staying with them! :)

I came looking for you in the Ceilidh Place on Tuesday night, but didn't spot any short redheads with booming Northern accents ;)

Cheers
Andy
follow that cow
follow that cow
277 posts

Jun 19, 2006, 16:07
I stayed at the Doune Braes Sat and Sun and met lots of different folks but non of them were TMA users, or at least that what I assumed..

...pity, as it would have been nice to have met up with you guys!!

:-(
goffik
goffik
3926 posts

Jun 19, 2006, 16:09
Ach! We're all rubbish, aren't we? ;o)

I completely forgot there were so many of us in the same place at the same time, to be honest.. Got a bit caught up in the occasion! Next time... Be good to meet you all!

G x
Vicster
Vicster
662 posts

Jun 19, 2006, 17:51
Yay, that was me!!!! I was walking back up and saw you and just after you'd gone by I thought "hang on...." but didn't really want to go round shouting "Goff?" to complete strangers...as you can appreciate!

I had the whisky bottle open and ready too....
Vicster
Vicster
662 posts

Jun 19, 2006, 17:53
I did see someone with the "book" though, and was going to say hello but then got rudely interrupted by a hippy falling on top of me....:-0
Vicster
Vicster
662 posts

Jun 19, 2006, 17:57

Am off to Ireland in August to spend some time in Co Meath and environs, so won't be able to. I have to admit something here and I am ashamed to say it...gulp....here goes.......please don't judge me.....I've never been to Avebury.

Please don't shoot me.
Pages: 4 – [ 1 2 3 4 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index