Megameet Picnic

Pages: 17 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Re: Megameet Picnic
Jan 12, 2006, 12:25
Chuckle... someone put me up to it - blame him ;-)

Seriously, if we do manage a Megameet it won't be the same without you. Sure to be someone taking photos though so expect those to appear on your computer at some point :-)
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Jan 12, 2006, 12:30
Yeah Gof, looking forward to meeting you too - either at Cal' or Avebury. Agree with Pete G and PeterH though that solstice time is probably best avoided.
goffik
goffik
3926 posts

Jan 12, 2006, 13:15
> Agree with Pete G and PeterH though that solstice time is probably best avoided.

Absolutely! I'm sure there's plenty of other less hectic places to be... all these fairweather revellers - where were they all for the winter one, eh? ;o)

Wonder who else we'll see at Callanish the week we'll be there?

G x
Jane
Jane
3024 posts

well when then?
Jan 12, 2006, 14:31
So when then? I suggested 24 June. Lots of others have said 'nooo!' but without offering alternatives. I still suggest 24 June. At the Uffington White Horse. Big free car park. Hardly any solstice revellers. Good ice cream van. Nice pubs nearby.

But if everybody insists on Avebury then please suggests dates.
J
x
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Re: well when then?
Jan 12, 2006, 15:00
How's about the first or second Saturday in August? The solstice folks will have gone by then.

I kinda prefer Avebury because there is just so much to see there (and in the surrounding area) and that could be a big plus for people who haven't been to Avebury very much (or not at all).

For those who might be interested, we could do some mini trips to see the sarsens under the Alton Priors and Pewsey churches, as well as look at the Winterbourne Bassett circle and the Winterbourne Monkton 'goddess' again.

And then there's the Valley of Dreams - the perfect place for a picnic but impossible for parking.
Jane
Jane
3024 posts

dates
Jan 12, 2006, 15:04
That would be Saturday 5 August or Saturday 12 August.

Moth and I can't come on Saturday 12 as we'll be at the Cropredy Festival.
BigSweetie
BigSweetie
806 posts

Jan 12, 2006, 15:33
> Wonder who else we'll see at Callanish the week we'll be there?

I might tag along with a tent...................

although I'm not sure I want to see Callanish for the first time when it's so busy

Cheers
Andy
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Jan 12, 2006, 15:39
>> although I'm not sure I want to see Callanish for the first time when it's so busy

ya big softie! I must say I feel the same. I have a plan though - which will never happen because I'm so busy doing other stuff - I might go in April and then go back when everyone else is there :-)
moss
moss
2897 posts

Jan 12, 2006, 15:56
we could do some mini trips to see the sarsens under the Alton Priors and Pewsey churches, as well as look at the Winterbourne Bassett circle and the Winterbourne Monkton 'goddess' again.

Ogbourne St. Andrew church has a bronze age barrow in the churchyard as well, you will have to put together an itinerary maybe....
goffik
goffik
3926 posts

Jan 12, 2006, 17:24
You're quite right, m'dear - I hate it when people do that - sorry!

I think August is a wee bit too far away for my liking, so will look at when I'm free between then and now... Hark at me! See when I'm free - what am I like? There's about 30 weekends between now and then! OK - Any weekend apart from June 10th-11th and July 8th-9th are good with me (from memory!)

There. :o)

G x
Pages: 17 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index