Serious Conservation 2
This topic is locked

Pages: 19 – [ Previous | 16 7 8 9 10 11 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
nigelswift
8112 posts

Re: In Praise of Indecision
Nov 07, 2003, 08:07
You seem to have made it your mission to pick on my use of words.
Is it 'cos I'm from de Black Country???
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Ow bin ya?
Nov 07, 2003, 09:05
Bostin' Ayit!

Being a resident of Lye (when last living in the UK) and being born in Kingswinford I can hardly pick on you for being from the Black Country can I? :-)

However, my great uncles, who worked down Round Oak and in the chain factories, would have thrown you out of the Black Country for using poncey words :-)
Earthstepper
Earthstepper
353 posts

Re: What, precisely, are we talking about?
Nov 07, 2003, 09:07
Ok Nigel I do respect your view and I am the last person in the world to want a bureaucracy. I fought the buggers throughout my entire working life. In my view you do need a small team to make decisions and get things done. You will need to be aware of legal issues at some point. If you want it to be "fun" rather than effective, then the whole debate has been a waste of time. I thought that we were trying to get some clout and try to make a difference. No hard feelings, but I now realise that we see things very differently so I am out of this.

Best of luck with whatever you run with.
nigelswift
8112 posts

Nov 07, 2003, 09:26
Berlimey, I only said I wanted fun not hassle. Does that make me a subversive?

How does what I want or not want impact on what you do?

As I said at an early stage I have no special clout, just an opinion, same as you so how am I a threat?

I would have thought that at our combined age we could have grown out of silly tantrums by now.
AtomicMutton
AtomicMutton
104 posts

Re: A Ha
Nov 07, 2003, 09:53
No, it's impossible isn't a reasoned argument.

The consistency of recorded observations worldwide demonstrates a common effect or situation. That's all there is to it really. And the late Gerald Hawkin's mathematical extrusions. I also have pretty good knowledge of student groups and 'voluntary conservation'. The numbers of people needed to create structures on these scales are far too obvious for the locals. The experience of these pages shows how difficult it must be for a group to come up with a design, even. Much less execute it perfectly and silently.

So the Thornborough crop circle that appeared on the Summer Solstice must have relevance. Even if only as a Yantra. To dismiss electro-kinesis (say) out of hand, without consideration, is to cut off part of the world - become deaf.
BrigantesNation
1733 posts

Threadjumping!
Nov 07, 2003, 10:00
The ultimate subversion?

;o)
nigelswift
8112 posts

Re: A Ha
Nov 07, 2003, 10:28
Actually, I think they're ALL baloney, But that's just an opinion based on all the ones I've ever seen. So maybe ET made some I haven't seen.

The student thing is a bit of a red herring. They're mostly done by pros. See their website, circlemakers. Very clever, but mostly surprisingly low tech methods. I have done a small one, not as good as theres but they're well practiced. The mysterious break halfway up is easy to do. The equally mysterious deformed nodes form naturally after they're broken. |The scuffle in the middle also comes naturally. As Steve says, none are unbisected by tramlines- what are the chances of that? The cropcircle room in the Barge Inn is full of transatlantic dopes looking at a picture of a straw plasma ball or some such (it's a fieldmouse's nest), the digital face at Chilbolton that is so beyong the capacity of yokels to produce is next to the radio telescope there, a fact which the oodles of croppy sites making oodles of money never fail to not mention. There are always a few which "defy explanation" but they keep getting replaced as they are explained. Commercial considerations demand it. Tell you what, next year, if I'm up to it, I'll make an inexplicable one to the East of WKLB, and if it can't be explained I'll start believing.
Earthstepper
Earthstepper
353 posts

Nov 07, 2003, 10:49
What?? Who said anything about threats? What tantrums? Dunno what you're on about mate. I'm off to Avebury now. Hope you have a name when I return, but I'm still staying out of it. Not a tantrum - just don't think we are going in the same direction. Cheers
jimit
jimit
1053 posts

Another fourpenn'orth!
Nov 07, 2003, 13:49
Slowly losing the will to live trawling through the threads.......
However HA gets my vote. How about "Protecting the future of the past" as the strap line? Just a touch of the Millitant about it perhaps?
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Re: Another fourpenn'orth!
Nov 07, 2003, 15:10
I like 'protecting' better than 'preserving', because it doesn't sound like you're pickling them :-)
Pages: 19 – [ Previous | 16 7 8 9 10 11 | Next ] This topic is locked

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index