This topic is locked

Pages: 19 – [ Previous | 15 6 7 8 9 10 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Steve Gray
Steve Gray
931 posts

Re: HA!
Nov 07, 2003, 00:10
I suggested SAS way back in the first thread.
Steve Gray
Steve Gray
931 posts

Re: A Ha
Nov 07, 2003, 00:20
What I said was:

It's possible that the area you refer to could be a region of bird damage extending the boundary of a student-created crop circle. Certainly the bulk of the photographs are consistent with the use of planks, ropes and rollers.

I take it as a compliment that you choose to mis-construe my remarks rather than provide a sound and reasoned argument aginst them. ;oP
baza
baza
1308 posts

Re: HA!
Nov 07, 2003, 00:47
I suppose it all depends on what type of image those who'll be doing the work will want to portray.

I'd prefer to be seen as to be going in on my knees, begging....firstly.

As in SOS.

However, if that didn't produce results....then it'll have to be machine guns and grenades.

SAS.
Moth
Moth
5236 posts

Right, ya buggers!!!
Nov 07, 2003, 02:23
I've been offline all evening with dodgy ethernet cards & missing drivers. In the morning I'm off to the pudfest... I mean to study some serious archeological shit withe The Scottish Megaraks. I'm not back til Monday evening & will likely be offline til then.

I want you to play nicely. No clunking nigel. Don't get TOOOO serious ES. Don't let em grind you down Jane babe. Hob, 4W, Kammer & everyone else, keep on keepin on.

I'll expect a nice name that everyone's happy with, and a pithy, punchy strapline to be waiting for me on my return to sassenach territories!!!

love

Moth
nigelswift
8112 posts

In Praise of Indecision
Nov 07, 2003, 02:48
Just wanted to put in an enthusiastic word of praise for useless and inconsequential ramblings. Choosing a name and strapline was always going to take a long time but it's worth persisting. I suspect this acorn will grow big as there's a yawning gap in the market for a popular conservation movement so what we decide does matter, and the name etc will flavour the whole structure and philosophy of the thing in future, so a week of babbling won't hurt if we get it right in the end and settling for just anything for the sake of progressing would be a shame.
The trouble is, unlike with Stonehengineers, there may not be an ideal solution waiting to emerge. But to progress things, can I suggest we first settle the absolutely essential key words that must go in the title, rather than an actual title, assuming a length of 2 - 4 words?
My vote is this: Heritage and Action.
(Any other words, in my opinion, can go in the strapline and we can discuss it later).
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Re: In Praise of Indecision
Nov 07, 2003, 06:45
I agree with all that except the superfluous use of the phrase 'gap in the market' ... yeuch! ... 'there's room in people's hearts and minds'

:-)
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Re: That sounds sensible.
Nov 07, 2003, 06:55
Indeed it is. I mentioned (gulp) a committee earlier on to oversee decisions. It is the only way to organise such a group.

The other option is that nigelswift says, "Right! I'm forming a group called XZY and it will deal with ABC. Who wants to join?"

I could then start a group called the Real XYZ and start a 'we can protect it better than you can' slanging match.

Ok. Ignore the last little bit, but the first two form your only sensible options without having a meeting in a hall (yes, or a pub)

I would support any name &c. agreed to by a group of five or so of you good people.

Following that you need to take a short census of the skills of the folks who are willing to help so that you can use the resources at your disposal to the full. There are a plethora of graphic artists, artists and web designers here.

Then you need a sympathetic lawyer or two!!!

but first a 'committee' ....
BrigantesNation
1733 posts

Ritual Ruination Rumblers
Nov 07, 2003, 07:15
You trash em - we get slightly annoyed and ask you not to do it again.

Or is that EH?
Steve Gray
Steve Gray
931 posts

Re: In Praise of Indecision
Nov 07, 2003, 07:46
So why not call it the "Popular Conservation Movement"? ;o)
nigelswift
8112 posts

What, precisely, are we talking about?
Nov 07, 2003, 08:03
There are 2 visions for this:

(A.) The organization as a centralised entity
...great for minimising the risk that loose cannons might ruin our reputation but also necessitating a high degree of sustained enthusiasm from people willing to run it, and carrying a chance we could get bureaucratic/inefficient and liable to tensions between rulers and ruled.

(B) The organization as I originally had in mind (without thinking about it too much admittedly) - a modest attempt to set up a community based facility, under a single banner to enable people singly or in groups to publicise and run their own campaigns, putting in as much or as little time and effort as they wished. User friendly and efficient, but with a high risk of being discredited.

We have to choose something between those two parameters.

My preference is for my original idea, but tightened up by means of control mainly through the pre-published rules. That's not as safe as having a committee vetting everything but still, "keep to them or bugger off" ought to be enough for most purposes. After all, we mustn't forget we're only talking about selected conservationists here, not delinquents. I know we'll need a bit of admin here and there but I'd seen it essentially as a platform - in fact The Heritage Action Platform isn't a bad title.

When ES talked of "legal, secretarial, fund raising and publicity" functions and an "Executive of 3 - 5 people" I realised that what he, and others - perhaps a majority - has picked up wasn't a laid back useful federation but a go-getting fighting machine with a formal structure. I can see that resources like that would be good for big ongoing fights like Thornborough, but for the other sorts of activities, small scale hassling of NT and EH they'd be an irrelevant burden. I don't need no secretarial or legal help to write letters and I certainly don't want to run my stuff past an Executive. It's not that I'm arrogant, it's just that it wouldn't be fun. So what I'm saying is -beware bureaucracy, it DOES make things less pleasant, and if you must have some don't let it encroach on the small entrepreneur.
Pages: 19 – [ Previous | 15 6 7 8 9 10 | Next ] This topic is locked

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index