9577 posts

Re: Soundtracks To Our Lives w/e 2/2/03
Feb 02, 2003, 22:25
Fairly quiet week in the cat pod...

Gong - Shamal. Jazz prog fusion stuff

Hallucinogen - The Lone De-ranger. Top psy trance utter madness

Ian O' Brien - The History of Things to Come. Eclectic range of sounds n tunes

Pink Faires - Kings of Oblivion. Rock!

The Bowling Green - One Pound Note. Ace mix of far out drum n bass and electronica

King Crimson - Thrak. Still enjoying this

Amused By Genitals - Don't Punch My Arse McFuck!

Suns Of Arqa - Solar Activity 1979-2001 Best of from top festy dancey crustoids.

have a nice week
ratcni01
ratcni01
916 posts

Feb 03, 2003, 12:02
Last week I listed some sounds that I'd been lent without having listened to them - to get me in step I'm going to list them again and any others I can think of I listened too

massive attack - blue lines
Excellent can't think why I haven't listened to this lot before - well I can actually but I won't go into that now

kruder dorfmeister - the k&d sessions
Liked this - tuneful dance type thingy

massive attack - protection
Great but not as good as blue lines

deltron - 3030
Too hip-hoppy for me at the moment but will keep for when I'm in the mood for that kinda thing

nightmares on wax - carboot soul
Surprised by this the music was .. well musical, looking at the cover I had expected chesse and quavereryness

bought myself spiritualised - let it come down in a fancy kind of moulding case thingy, first impression was in the car and though good sound seemed a bit too mushed together - could easily be my car stereo though

bit of black sabbath - esp snowblind in preparation for he mad ride home on the thursday night last week out through north london and up the m1 to hemel - two and a half hours to get home - at least i made it unlike some poor peeps on other northbound routes out of the city

teeps mad coil - compilations, very electronic very very very wierd, positively sinister but fun to listen too given them a coupla goes and will give them a few more. thanks telepathine for sharing yer madness!!

from the library:
gomez - bring it on, liked this guitars'n everthing

couple of mary black albums to try her out as it were, saw her sing on some telly show and liked the voice, very mellow and relaxing bit too clannad sometimes tho - was she in clannad?

some terrible steeleye span retrospective thing - major disappointment, bluarhgh

woody gutherie - finally got round to lstening a bit to this, ever since that billy bragg telly thing wanted to listen a bit more to this guy 'cos i likes billy and that period of american history is quite interesting too - john steinbeck, grapes of wrath or is it of mice and men. Love the guitar idea with "this machine kills fascists" on it as well
cHARLIE
cHARLIE
2607 posts

Feb 03, 2003, 13:27
Massive attack....blue LiNES....! aLWAYS BRINGS ME BACK To ma early daze'sin Bristol. <greattimesfermepersonally> this album is very close to my heart cus it was of its time blablabla getting ald blablabla.

The La's: Fecken scousers...this city just produces some of the best MYstIC song writters !
iLuV tHis ALBuM!

*sOme old 45's 7 Jack in Black* KiNDLY SENT TO me by *hOWDEn* A strange 1 off comp of this mans past record collection of obscure early 80's/70's/40's? stuff <shudder>...on here ranging from *campervan Beethoven* take the skinheads bowling...(which i have never heard b4but I luv!), scars, the human league, Modern english, the key tones version of white xmas makes me weep every time!
Fanks Howden yer a paL!
yarLian*
Lord Lucan
Lord Lucan
2702 posts

Feb 03, 2003, 14:14
I often donÕt do the weekly Sountracks thread. Because ofÉ
a) Terminal laziness
b) A lot of stuff I listen to is pretty much similar from one week to the next.
c) The fact that I donÕt get round to thinking about it until Monday morning means IÕm not in the best frame of mind to remember everything I listened to.
Anyway, IÕll make an exception this week and list a few of the things that stick out from what IÕve been listening toÉ

Soft Cell Ð This Last Night In Sodom
After digging this out and listening to it tripping a couple of weeks ago, my mind has been totally blown by it and IÕve not been able to get its screaming rage out of my head since. Anyone who thinks Soft Cell were all carefully constructed pop should listen to this nasty album. ItÕs even got screaming guitars all over it. ÔSlave To ThisÕ is a stream-of-consciousness amphetamine-fuelled nervous breakdown.

The Residents Ð The Commercial Album
My Residents collection is almost complete now, and I canÕt believe I took so long to get hold of this gem. The sheer number of songs on this album means IÕm still getting off on the brand-new-shag-ness factor, but I can tell already itÕll be a regularly played thing.

Negativland Ð Sex Dirt
A bit disappointing. Negativland can usually do no wrong, but this seems curiously prissy and directionless considering itÕs supposed to be a Negativland-ising of the sex issue. Not up to their usual standard, though still has moments.

Acid Mothers Temple Ð Magical Power From Mars (vol 1)
Very nice meditative thing from the Oriental furry freaks. Absolutely mental holographic 3D cartoon Roger Dean style cover art. Just one 20 min track of reverb-ed raga chanting and burbling synth. Very pretty and very drug-fucked.

Pole Ð Pole 2
After reading various people recommending them here I plumped for this, and really like it. Good to hear electronica stretching out to embrace a bit of dub. Curiously short album. But thatÕs my bag at the moment. I feel a lot of CDs these days are filling up their 70+ minutes because they can. The brevity of this, the AMT CD and the following one have made a refreshing change. Oh, and itÕs nice to hear some tape hiss on a CD again!

Thighpaulsandra Ð Some Head EP
Picked up for the bargain price of £3 second hand. Nice long-form burbling and honking that I need to listen to a few more times to totally immerse myself. Like it so far though.

The Pixies Ð Doolittle
I love the way the guitar solo at the end of Number 13 Baby goes in and out of time with the rest of the music. Clever swine this lot.

Fela Kuti Ð Shakara/FelaÕs London Scene
Everyone at work seems to be able to get into this OK, which is great coz it means I donÕt have to listen to Mozart and Air all day now. Nice bit of Afro funkiness to fight winter blues.

And digging through a dusty bag of cassettes I found a mixed tape I made years ago and had forgotten about. ItÕs two 45 min long constantly shimmering mixes of Eno (played forward and backwards), Thomas Koner, Bill Laswell, John Hassell, Tchaikovsky played backwards, Robert Fripp, The Ecstasy of Saint Theresa and various others I canÕt pinpoint now, generally three things playing at once, each occasionally rising above the rest. Love it and have now burnt it onto a couple of CDRs for nocturnal drifting. Glad I had that rummage!
anthonyqkiernan
anthonyqkiernan
7087 posts

Feb 03, 2003, 14:37
Noah House Of Dread - Heart
CD-R dropped through the letterbox. I know nothing about reggae, and would have said it wasn't for me. This stuff is amazing. Also, bonus of Primitive Painters by felt, Venceremos, by Working Week and fabby Bollywood version of Song To The Siren all included

Brian Eno - Warm Jets/Tiger Mountain/Airports/Another Green World
Inspired by chat here and the R2 documentary.

Feotus - Hole/Sink/Thaw/Calamity Crush/Wash
Inspired by the Eno records, honest.

Jonathon Richman - It's Time For...
Had a song in my head and rediscovered a fave from younger days *sigh*

And of course Radio AQK, my random playing iPod.
Boogie Wrench - Gasoline
Kick Over The Statues - Redskins
Jump Back Honey, Jump Back - Gene Vincent
Lard Ass - Coyotemen
Torpedo - Julian Cope
elderford
482 posts

Re: Catherine Wheel/Byrne
Feb 03, 2003, 15:13
got it only a few weeks back, i'm not too sure how well it works without the dancing.

awkward listening, but you can imagine people dancing to it in interesting ways.
a23
a23
1004 posts

Feb 03, 2003, 22:34
this week it's been

more porcupine tree stuff - stupid dream/yellow hedgerow dreamscape and in absentia - still not sure about that last one though it is a slow grower. Like joolio i'm keen to see em again next month

yardbirds - roger the engineer (- not sure if that's his name or an instruction) - got the classic happenings 10 years time ago on it, plus a mono + stereo mix of the album and a few other goodies.

camel - snowgoose - haven't heard this in ages - remember it off the radio in the early/mid 70's - melodic and peaceful

beatles - abbey road - got hold of it recently, never heard most of it before. heard worse

j a ceaser - Kokkyou Junreika - (thanx, Holy) - this is a real belter of an album - i'd heard Jasumon before but never really got into it...this on the other hand is fantastic - in bits like Far East Family Band, but more choral. All i know about this dude is that he was big in jap circles in the 70's then got kinda reinvented in the mid/late 90's doing syoundtrax for films (inc manga ones). This is generally reckoned to be his best work, worth seeking out

Bob Marley - catch a fire...stir it oop..ohyeah

rallizes - bits + bobs
242 posts

Feb 04, 2003, 01:20
I think next week I'll have to write them down as I never completely remember. I'll have a go though:

David Bowie - Earthling. Dismissed as Bowie jumping on the drum and bass bandwagon, but it is far too intelligently put together for this.

Bob Dylan - Freewheeling Bob Dylan

Ozric Tentacles - weird cities. Yeah not bad. People tell me that they are ripping off bands like Hawkwind and Gong, so I got ratcni01 to send me some stuff

Hawkwind - Epoch Eclipse, Sonic Attack. I've tried to get into them but found they lyrics too prog rock like and don't really like the voice. Thanks anyway.

Gong - Live Floating Anarchy 1979. Now this I could get into. Really rather good. I could have sworn that Robert Wyatt was involved on this album, but I don't think he was. Sounds like him. All part of the canterbury scene, I suppose, and Dave Allen used to be in Soft Machine apparently.

Monk and Canatella - Care in the Community. Spot on trip hop nervous breakdown music. Amusing samples.

Mr Bungle - Disco Volante. A mixed bag but definitely has its moments.

Brian Eno - Here come the warm jets. Pretty good but not as good as the next few of his albums, imo.

Struggling to remember anymore, though there definitely was more. Oh well
ron
ron
706 posts

Feb 04, 2003, 02:18
sorry for the let down stoked dude... if'n u need a knoife, i've plenty to spare... pulled'em outta my back, i have... uknow...

anyways... still doing the jim morrison american prayer thingy mostly... it's basicly a full album of his poetry and rantings set to doors music, but it's so far out even multiple listens will boggle the mind...

eh up... ron gets new vehical w/6 cd deck.... oooowwwerr...

disc 1: staircase - firstfloor - simply incredible grooves... in the optic of my eye

disc 2: brmc - black rebel motorcycle club - hippest new rock in ages... great crusin music...

disc 3: scorpions - crazy world - yep, even crazier than when they recorded this over 10 years ago... hit hi-lite "winds of change" for the fall of the wall...

disc 4: motely crue - motely crue - only album recorded without vince neil lead singer, and by far the best... from the first track forward u remember the other reason the women love tommy lee ;) mick and nikki are rawk!

disc 5: brain donar - brain donar - hmmmm... can't decide... maybe i'll replace with peggy or 'best of black sabbath'...

disc 6: kid rock - devil without a cause... man... i just can't get over how much i like the kids attitude... total pimp kickin bitch...

x
direwolf
92 posts

Feb 04, 2003, 23:46
Since I bought a new turntable I've been mixing lots of old favs with the new stuff lately....
Jethro Tull - Living in the Past
Pink Floyd - Ummagumma (still believe it's the best post-Syd lp)
Ramones- Rocket to Russia
Clash - Super Black Market Clash
How We Rock - Various (Hellacopters, Hives, Peepshows, Turbonegro etc.)
Liars -Threw Us All in a Trench and Stuck a Monument on Top (Best new cd I've picked up in a while)
Nirvana - Bleach
Aphrodite's Child - 666 (Basic story from the book of Revalations set to groovy prog-rock... very cool!)
Pages: 5 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index