cancer boy
cancer boy
977 posts

Re: listening to music
Jan 21, 2003, 17:32
>i agree that if u have a long list that u listen
>to each week then u are not listening to any
>of them properly

I normally have quite a short list, but that's because I generally don't put the ones from the previous weeks on, and only put the ones that I've particularly enjoyed that week in. Also, there's lots of CDs that I like to listen to once a week, or once a month or once a year, or maybe just one track off them once every century. I have a pretty good memory for music so I don't normally listen intensively to any particular album, most things stick after a couple of plays.

Except the Faust Tapes.

And it's a curse in the case of the Roger Miller CD someone lent me a while back which I think I'll need a lobotomy to get out of my head. "England swings like a pendulum do, bobbies on bicycles two by two..."
Norbert Camembert
7 posts

Jan 21, 2003, 23:50
Hello 23 i just wanted to say there was no offense intended by the Clause 23 skit - it was only ever meant to be a joke sorry if it was not interpreted that way.
Congratulations on fueling a lively discussion on Unsung.
Norbert
242 posts

Jan 22, 2003, 00:03
that's cool Norbert, I might be a touch sensitive, but felt that you were leaving the boot in with your skit on what I thought was a fairly innocuous comment of mine that got slightly misinterpreted. Try not to make fun of me on a regular basis, every now and then is ample. Good name by the way.
Pagan Dawn
Pagan Dawn
65 posts

Ok guys...
Jan 22, 2003, 11:07
May i be the first Laydee to come in on this topic ?
Let me just say,BLODDY BEHAVE WILL YA !!
Listening to music "properly !!??"
Who set the rules in this game then ??
Do we all have to sit in a white-out room with no distractions to "hear to music"?-Fink not !!(my mind would start wandering in there straight away !)
I cant remember the last time i had the chance to "listen properly"(eg headphones on,quiet room,nobugger else on earth breathing bad vibes in my aura).
Ive got little time to spare being a mother of 2,one home all day,one at school,then working at night when they're in bed,blah blah blah..
I listen to music(or not as the case may be),while washing up,cooking,hoovering(volume on 11 obviously),at work on the PA system,at the shopping mall,in lifts,in other peoples cars,on the bus(other peoples walkmans!),radio on at teatime,on the telly.at the school concert,kids singing "world shut yer mouth"and "whatever" when i sing in the kitchen...etc..
So im guilty as charged i suppose.

I Pagan Dawn, do not listen to music properly.
May i have my arse smacked at the first opportunity.
Thank you.
youknowwho 8o)
Pagan Dawn
Pagan Dawn
65 posts

ps..
Jan 22, 2003, 11:12
Bloody loosen up will ya !!!!!!!!!
lurve you lot,but you do get on me tits sometimes !!
Pagan Dawn xx8o)
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8769 posts

Re: ps..
Jan 22, 2003, 11:24
what even me??? I disagreed in no uncertain terms to this "listening properly" malarky. Load of pseuds poo if you ask me.
moey
moey
770 posts

Re: ps..
Jan 22, 2003, 11:28
The main thing is PD, you get something out of it, however you hear it.

So do I, and I'm sure, deep down so does everybody else.

Moey

PS Well done for being the first female to wade into the mire of Testosterone. Well said that Woman!
moey
moey
770 posts

Jan 22, 2003, 11:32
Well, despite being told to lighten up by Pagan Dawn, here's one I prepared earlier......

A couple of alternate viewpoints to studiously concentrating on the inner being of the music

Satie wanted to create music that could "mingle with the sound of knives and forks at dinner"

Eno talks of being bed ridden after an accident and listening to a faulty stereo at a very low volume "This presented what was for me a new way of hearing music - as part of the ambience of the environment just as the colour of light and the sounds of rain were parts of that ambience" He then suggests listening to his "Discrete Music" at "comparatively low volumes, even to the extent that it frequently falls below the threshold of audibility"

The Sleeve notes for Eno's "Thursday Afternoon" CD (NP) go on further: Eno's intention with these pieces it that thye should function as tapestries; large-scale, non-intrusive atmospheres which lend a consistent mood to the environments in which they are heard."

Eno's ambient pieces are not normally listened to in the same way as, say, Hawkwind or Motorhead, which, to me, confirms, that, there is not one right and other wrong ways to listen to music - There is more than one way to skin a cat (as my old English teacher used to tell me)
Pages: 8 – [ Previous | 13 4 5 6 7 8 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index