listening to music

Pages: 8 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Telepathine
371 posts

Re: listening to music
Jan 20, 2003, 23:37
Hahahahaha, your a funny guy!!!

Can't work out if you're just a wind up merchant, or genuinely expect everyone to experience things the way you do.
Hey, different doesn't mean wrong, it's just different, and as Mooney and others have said, it's whatever works for you. To have such a superior and condesending approach to a question you asked is a bit lame to say the least. Just accept that we're all different, with different tastes, and a differing approach to music and by cextension, life. Some of us admittedly come at music from a slightly more 'emotive' angle, and don't need the 'analytical' head to explain why it works for us. To paraphrase Mooney again, Sometimes you dig stuff, just cos' you do, no need to justify it.

You gonna go away for another 6 month's? that'd be a shame, but on return, don't expect us all to have 'evolved' to your obviously superior plane of being. Hell, we're just 'human' after all.
Shrimp
Shrimp
1118 posts

Jan 20, 2003, 23:55
u can read what u like into whatever i say when and whenever i say it u dont have to read it or respond and i dont have to be here or there or any place to do it or u either

im not superior to anyone and u are not either we are all equal and all entitled to our opion and debate

that is the nature of hh and long may it continue

all i say in a nutshell is that i wish for passion about music here not endless lists and ive said that now ever since it started

if u dont wish it to be or believe that it is full of passion then fine however it doesnt seem that way to me by way of lots of recent threads and so be it
moey
moey
770 posts

Jan 21, 2003, 00:24
Have to say I have enjoyed this thread. The points have all been well made, and are heartfelt. Many different views, but then there would be as music is such a personal thing, it connects with people on so many different levels.

There have been a few points I would strongly disagree with, but probably because they are sweeping statements e.g. Mr Squid says....... " i agree that if u have a long list that u listen to each week then u are not listening to any of them properly" So, not listening to ANY of them properly are we? Mmmmm have to disagree with that one, I could have 40 albums on my list, listen to 39 of them once each and the other one play thirty times - surely that would qualify as listening to that one "properly" But, that's probably me being pedantic again.

I DO have a good hifi - set up properly too. I also listen to the majority of my late night or very early morning music on good quality headphones, so the music BEGS for my attantion - and I give it.

My Soundtracks usually comprise of about 70% old favourites that I am very familiar with, the rest being either new purchases, things people have sent me, or those albums that have sat on the shelf and not given the attention they deserve (or I didn't "get" them first time round.) The ratio changes. Some weeks there is more new stuff, some weeks I don't post, as I feel I have nothing to add, maybe I have been playing a very similar selection to the previous week, getting more aquainted with the new stuff.

I kind of agree with Squid's point about vocals just being another part of the music. I have to hold my hand up and say that I don't concentrate on the actual words - so yes, I concede, I probably don't listen in a way you would class as "properly" but I do pay close attention to the SOUND and texture of the words. In my own little world this gives me an advantage over many people (for lack of a better phrase) My theory is that, when some of you are getting old saying "That's not music, you can't even hear the words" I won't give a toss because (largely) the words don't matter to me.

The great thing about "Soundtracks" (S.T.O.O.L.- I like it, "This week I've been listening to a crock of old shit" hehehe) is that is makes people think about music which has to be a good thing doesn't it. I read all the posts, and often they inspire me to play - or even buy - things on other people's lists. I know I won't fancy listening to everything everybody lists. I have a fair Idea I won't be exploring most of Joolio's lists, but he writes well, has a passion for the music and he's a mate -which I hope I can also count some of you other HHers as too.

So there you have it, disagree, or agree as you choose, just continue to enjoy music, and let everyone else know how great it is. Let it instill a passion in you, but don't get too hurt if people don't buy into your ideals.

Norbert might have a point there you know......

Moey xxxxx NP: David Sylvian - Secrets Of the Beehive - and listening "properly"

"Battle Ye Not With Monsters....."
moey
moey
770 posts

Something to ponder.....
Jan 21, 2003, 00:28
Correct me if I am wrong, but at time of writing, with 33 replies to the thread, all the respondents are male.

Are we really that anally retentive?

Yes, probably

Moey
242 posts

Jan 21, 2003, 01:21
Suppose I'd better put my pennies worth in as I kind of inadvertantly started all this. I said 2 things in the original stool thread - one that I'm amazed at how much people listen to in a week and they can't be listening properly to that much. All I was trying to do is relate my own personal experiences which involved listening to rather less than most. I suppose I don't listen to more than an hour a day, but it seems that other people listen to up to 4hrs a day, so obviously they're gonna get through more stuff. Fair enough. But hey I'm just as passionate about music as the next man, and certainly didn't appreciate Norbert Camembert's thread which tried to make out that I was adolf heickman or someone (clause 23).
The other thing I said was that a large record collection was a false economy. What I mean is that after a while (I reckon about 250 which mine passed about a year ago) you end up buying or getting more stuff than you can listen to and you neglect stuff. This grates with me and every so often I call a buying halt and try and catch up with neglected items. This never lasts for long as the passion for new and unheard of music overtakes and the problem just gets worse. I was just wondering whether people felt the same.

I was probably also a bit pissed off that noone was responding to my record collection posting, saying that soundtracks already did the job. But what I wanted was a more definitive and ultimate list of what people rate rather than happen to be listening to at the time. Obviously the two can overlap, but still. I wanted more. I am truly very sorry. I know now that I was being greedy and foolish. Time's a healer so they say. Those last 4 sentences were me playing at jokes in case there is any more misinterpretation
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Re: listening at all?
Jan 21, 2003, 01:34
Oh please Shrimp. You know as well as I do this is by far from the first time your tone has been seen as somewhat condescending ,and then you come back with how it's your passion and people are just intrepreting you in the wrong way. In other words its always them, never you. It's almost a fixture of HH and has certainly been since I can remember on here.
Jeez mate, people aren't "getting it" the way you see it and so you go into noble, thoughtful exile while the grubby peasants rampage all over Unsung. Well it bugs me here from time to time too but I'm sticking with it 'cos I think it's worth it and I think there's still loads to learn and to share.

I absolutely believe in your passion for your music.
But don't play the wounded aesthete when some one points out with a fair degree of justification that you do, from time to time, come over as something of a snob. If you really, absolutely can't see that then you have a degree of bloody mindedness thats almost admirable.

I mean, you posted something, you got some people thinking and got responses. And trust me, you got a lot better than some have round here lately. So just have a think before you seclude yourself in your Hi-Fivory Tower and disappear up some kind of sonic orifice, safe in the knowledge that you are doing it 'right'. Or whatever.
ron
ron
706 posts

Re: Something to ponder.....
Jan 21, 2003, 01:53
not to be pendant or even anal retentive ur choice... but i believe that it was sir shrimp that made the statements that u attributed to mr squid... maybe our resident marine biologist can clairify weither or not a squid is in the crustation family... anyone seen dizzy izzy lately, or has she done come of of her bike (again) and holed up conveillesing in some nordic hospice...

x
anthonyqkiernan
anthonyqkiernan
7087 posts

Other thread...
Jan 21, 2003, 09:28
Thought I would post this here to save you getting excited at a reply to your other thread ;D

Basically, I have tried to reply to it several times and just find it too difficult. I can't summarise my record collection that easily. But, I am still trying.

On ways of listening to music: I love listening to The Ace of Spades top volume with lungs full of poppers and a belly full of wine. Haven't done it for a while mind. Maybe something to think of for the weekend.
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8769 posts

Jan 21, 2003, 10:31
To cut a long story short, bollocks to that shrimp mate.

Listening to music is simple. you put it on, it goes in your ears. it then either tickles the brain/moves the feet or it doesn't.

wb fellow sea creature

Squiddo
moey
moey
770 posts

Apologies to our aquatic pals
Jan 21, 2003, 12:37
Doh!
Pages: 8 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index