Pages: 8 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Shrimp
Shrimp
1118 posts

listening to music
Jan 20, 2003, 19:59
hi peeps!!

23 raises a very valid point about listening to music and it deserves a thread of its own

i agree that if u have a long list that u listen to each week then u are not listening to any of them properly

my way which has been developed and honed over a number of years is as follows however im not saying that it is correct it just satisfies my requirements

to listen to something u need to focus directly to it and give it your attention that could mean that u put it on repeat play till u get it or u dont or whatever u like it could also mean that u play a few on a daily basis and keep them rotating for at least a week or a month or whatever u could also take an artist and appraise the works that u have over a period

u need to remember with it all that just because one album from a particular artist is good or great or crap does not mean that another or the next will also be

most soundtracks to our lives lists are just lists of what has been in your player and form a soundtrack to you life just as printed on the can and not what u are actually listening to - congrats to joolio for instigating and keeping it going

the problem with my method is that i have not the time anymore to appraise something properly as my collection is too wide and vast

to that end what everyone says here is a very useful and valuable source however there are some sources more valuable than others

cope provides a great source too however u have to delve beneath the surface to find some of them there are normally 3 or so per month to look out for and most are worthwhile

the current les rallizes - blind baby is one in question

cherish

ps im back listening!!!!
Beebon
1375 posts

Re: listening to music
Jan 20, 2003, 20:10
Yup i agree

Though if you DO listen to a lot in one week, dont mean to say u aint been listening to it so that u "hear" it... it maybe somehting that has already sunk in in the past.... all music u listen to doesnt have to be new to ur ears. Loadsa albums i've known inside out yet i return to very often which really do it for me (VU & Nico, Tago Mago, Phallus Dei.... hwatever).

In fact... i've kinda forgotten what i'm getting at hehehe
as per usual ;)

hope u start posting more often again dude. it's becomming rare that anyone discusses any current AOTM.... unlike old times..

ah well :p

steve
Shrimp
Shrimp
1118 posts

Jan 20, 2003, 20:15
good point mighty bee of the bon - something u are familiar with has to come out at certain times so as to check where u are and also to reappraise it based on fresh outlooks
grufty jim
grufty jim
1978 posts

Jan 20, 2003, 20:21
Can't say as i agree with you guys. One of the amazing things about music - for me - is it's immediacy. So i'm a little confused by what's meant when Shrimp says
>
> if u have a long list that u listen to each week
> then u are not listening to any of them properly
>
That line seem to be suggesting that there's a "proper" way to listen to music (something i don't really get in the first place), and moreover that the proper way involves weeks, perhaps months of careful appraisal...

Some music sticks with you, follows you through the years and gets played often. Other stuff you take out and dust off every couple of years and get amazed all over again at how good it is. And then there's the music that you hear a few times one summer and never play again - but makes you go all goosebumpy when you hear it on the radio 7 years later.

There's throwaway pop that makes you feel good for the three minutes you hear it on the radio, and there's those albums that wrap you up warm and shepherd you through nights of hopelessness. There's protest songs whose lyrics inspire your soul to action, and deep dubby bass tracks that do the same for your body.

All of these are listened to "differently". There's no proper way to listen to music. So long as it stirs your emotions, or your loins... or makes you think, or just puts a smile on your face then you're listening to it right.

i think.
Shrimp
Shrimp
1118 posts

Jan 20, 2003, 20:27
again u may be right however u do not say what your method is mr grufty one

do u just listen once and wow it hits u and that is that or something else

as for lyrics they are not useful in appraisal as they are just an addional sound

as for bass then u have to have that in giant proportions and that is why the amt univers zen fails to cut it in its majority however there are some nice phases
Shrimp
Shrimp
1118 posts

Jan 20, 2003, 20:29
apologies u did say how u listened i just forgot to read!!
Telepathine
371 posts

Jan 20, 2003, 20:44
I'm afraid I'm with grufty on this one. How you listen to music is as subjective as the music you like to listen to (you know that old saying 'one man's...')

Personally, if i like something, then i tend to play it to death, till i really can't listen to it anymore, then go back to it at a later date, to 'have another shufty'.
Though if something doesn't grab me by the nads after the first few listenings, it'll go on the back burner till maybe I'm in a different mood or cercumstance, and I'll give it a try, though I'm not gonna put myself through hours of what i would consider pap, just to say that i've listened to it properly. Life's to short, and there's far to much other stuff out there that 'might' grab me by the gumbas to waste time 'persiveering' with something i don't enjoy.

Many of the records people have been posting are fairly old, which may suggest that they have had em' a fair while, so are quite familiar with the records anyhow. To go back and play em' a few times in a week is hardly a crime, as they are still obviously getting off' on the tunes.

I know the Wire magazine is big on this whole 'Deep Listening' idea, but as grufty says, if a lightweight throw-away popsong floats your boat, then who are we to say that it's wrong.

As i said before, it's all subjective...whatever floats your boat.
Shrimp
Shrimp
1118 posts

Jan 20, 2003, 20:55
so u play it to death till u cannot stand it no more yes u come back to it u say and yes i can go there too and if so the music doesnt stand up to scrutiny

music that is any good for me is that music that never gets discarded it might get lost or mislaid for a while but if it is any good u will always come back to it so it will never get to the stage of not standing it no more
Shrimp
Shrimp
1118 posts

Jan 20, 2003, 21:00
as for stuff that doesnt get u after a few plays do u just discard it or do u delve deeper to find out why
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Jan 20, 2003, 21:05
Wb Shrimp!

Well Im for and against really (Libran you see)
I do get and empathise with your notion of listening to music. I can see that side for sure; the experience and so on.
But it seems to be overtly dogmatic and ultimately limiting in the context of whatever you may be listening to. It almost feels like the end result of your 'process' would ultimately to listen to one record only for ever.

But I ultimately I am with Grufy and Telepathine; There is no one 'proper way' . It's not for nothing that there is a phrase such as 'mood music'. With all the will in the world it's highly unlikely I'm gonna listen to AC/DC the same way I'm going to listen to John Coltrane.

For a start the actual context in which I listen to music veers from is so variable it would be folly to attempt to synthesise a listening process for myself in order to "get it". That presupposes that there is only one correct response to a certain tune anyway. It would also require me to almost formalise the way I listen to and play music and, dude, that seems too clinical to me and analytical to me. I want all the range of emotions and responses I can muster with all sorts of stuff that floats my boat.

I might be washing the dishes, getting ready to go out, with people, on my own, happy, sad and so on. And as is very common I might be just listening.
The "Soundtrack of our lives" thread is so aptly named 'cos thats exactly what it seems that music is doing for a lot of people on here. And in those lives are all sorts of situations, mood and moments that music is linked to.

From tapping one's toe to a tune on the radio whilst doing a crossword, to an indepth full on 'being inside the music' type experience, there's a whole range of experiences to be had; and more importantly, all of them are valid. So it seems a shame to limit oneself to a "way".

Whatever, though, glad you have your 'ears' back so to speak.
Pages: 8 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index