Question on original 1969 pressing of Alexander Skip Spence's "Oar"

13 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
phallus dei
583 posts

Edited Mar 31, 2023, 20:35
Re: Question on original 1969 pressing of Alexander Skip Spence's "Oar"
Mar 31, 2023, 20:31
Also want to chime in to say that the 3CD "AndOarAgain" is definitely worth it IF you are a big fan of the original album. Similar to the Syd Barret "Crazy Diamond" boxset, each alternate take brings forth a new impression of the "real" song. Plus, there is a wealth of new material which, while not on par with the songs on Oar, is certainly on par with the bonus material that has come out on the various Oar reissues. I'm listening to the set right now, and am starting to wonder if perhaps "Oar" is the real pinnacle of American psychedelia (I usually give that spot to Yahowha 13's Penetration: An Aquarian Symphony.)

On a contrary note, I'd like to assert that the 1991 Sony Music Special Products Version is the best version of Oar. No doubt, my bias is due to this being the version I heard first. But it's got longer versions of "Diana" and "Lawrence of Euphoria", and an alternate mix of "Grey/Afro" which I prefer. Once you get steeped into the Oar mythos, you will want to check out this 1991 version, as well.

Unsung Forum Index