Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

Edited Mar 29, 2023, 16:53
Re: Question on original 1969 pressing of Alexander Skip Spence's "Oar"
Mar 29, 2023, 16:45
The Seth Man wrote:
Popel Vooje wrote:
What an album indeed! I first heard the Sony CD in the early-mid 90s and it sounded so predictive of some of the lo-fi indie-folk music of the time (e.g. Palace Brothers, Smog, Beck's acoustic stuff) it felt hard to believe it was recorded twenty-five years before.

I upgraded to the Sundazed CD after he died as I wanted to hear the original mix (which I do feel is superior in many respects, not least the phasing on "Grey/Afro").

Two further questions I'd like to ask are : 1) Is it worth upgrading again to the 3-disc version? and 2) Seeing as we're discussing psychedelic singer-songwriters whose lives were tragically derailed by mental illness, have you heard the Maitreya Kali albums?

Popel Vooje,

1) The first disc is the Sundazed CD (which you already have) but there are two more discs of material that total 2 hours of previously unissued material. Some of it is just vocals and drums, there's seven versions of "Diana", but there are 11 previously unreleased songs. Some might be finished songs and only sound like fragments

The Maitreya Kali album INCA (1972) is interesting. Besides always confusing it with the Mystic Shiva album for years (orange cover rare psych collectible), it was recently recommended to me by a British musician who was also a fan of Dino Valente's solo album. There's some stand out tracks where it's just him alone ("Revelation," "Color Fantasy," "Silk And Ivory," "I'm Walkin' Solo,") that almost (and I mean almost) recall Arthur Lee if he was recorded singing with acoustic accompaniment with a massive amount of reverb.

Hi Seth Man. Thanks for the info re. AndOarAgain. Am considering getting it but think I might give it a listen on Spotify first (if it's on there, at least). My opinion of "Inca" is that it's a true acid-fried masterpiece that deserves to be ranked alongside "The Madcap Laughs" and "Oar", and is in fact more cohesive in some regards than either, even if it is a hodge-podge of old recordings Craig Smith made with the Penny Arkade before his breakdown and solo stuff from afterwards. His other album "Apache" is a little more ... well, patchy (yeah I know, I'll get me coat) but is available as a very reasonably priced two-fer with "Inca" from the Ugly Things webstore owned by Mike Stax (co-compiler of the "Nuggets" box sets).

Guess it's my responsibility to take up the baton and review it on here, then.

Unsung Forum Index