Question on original 1969 pressing of Alexander Skip Spence's "Oar"

13 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Joe Kenney
Joe Kenney
169 posts

Re: Question on original 1969 pressing of Alexander Skip Spence's "Oar"
Mar 28, 2023, 15:53
Hey Popel, I have heard that Kali album, I downloaded it years ago, but forgot about it, so thanks for the reminder. I remember it having a bit of an Oar vibe, but as we all know, Oar is such a unique thing.

Thought you all might be interested in this: In his review of Spirit's "Spirit of '76" in the August 14, 1975 issue of Rolling Stone, reviewer Bud Scoppa wrote, "From its conception to its sonics, 'Spirit of '76' is this year's eccentric's eccentric record, and Randy California (last heard from as 'Kapt. Kopter' on an unusual Epic album) can take his rightful place alongside Syd Barrett and Alexander (Skip) Spence in the outer limits of rock & roll."

I like "Spirit of '76" a lot myself (it's another one with a fine review here on Unsung), but I have to admit I never thought of it like "Oar" until coming across that review in the Rolling Stone CD-ROM a few years ago. In fact, I would've been more prone to think of that "Kapt. Kopter" album more along the lines of Oar, at least in how it's such the product of a scattered mind.

One LP I would place somewhere in the orbit of "Oar" would be the self-titled LP by Relatively Clean Rivers, a rural-psych private press from 1976. I'm sure the majority of you on here are familiar with it. Copies go for thousands of dollars and all represses are bootlegs because the guy behind it, who now lives on a goat farm, only considers that first pressing the authentic pressing. However someone got a copy of an original press, cleaned it up, and coverted for FLAC for everyone to enjoy for free: https://upvhq.blogspot.com/2021/06/relatively-clean-rivers-st-1976.html

Unsung Forum Index