Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Howburn Digger
Howburn Digger
986 posts

Edited Jun 17, 2023, 19:29
Re: Teardrop Explodes box set
Jun 17, 2023, 19:26
Captain Starlet wrote:
Just playing mine now, on glorious record version. Really nice set, and good to listen to the Zoo version of Sleeping Gas, which I don't think I've heard before, or forgotten about.

The track's inclusion as part of the Club Zoo CD holds much frustration for me. I am sure this is the case for many of us who have followed faithfully for getting on for half a century.

The Club Zoo version of Sleeping Gas was originally on the B-side of the Tiny Children 12". Purchased by me as a fan 40 years ago.

Then the same live version of "Sleeping Gas" appeared on the 1st HDCD version of the CD re-issue of Kilimanjaro in 2000 as one of the "Extra Tracks From The Japanese Mini Album Kirimanjalo" with its lyrics translated [Swiss Translation] by Heidi 'Kangaroo' Daunspoort. It was nice to see it get a CD release nearly quarter of a century ago.

"Buy both and feel diseased..."

Then the same live version of "Sleeping Gas" appeared on 'Bates Motel' disc of the 3xCD deluxe box version of "Kilimanjaro" in July 2010. The pattern really emerged...

"Re-issue, re-package, re-package... re-evaluate the songs. Double pack with a photograph..."

Then the same live version of "Sleeping Gas" appeared on the 2xCD deluxe version of "Wilder" in 2013. Suspicions confirmed...

"Extra track and a tacky badge..."

The fact it has been slid into this massive box is of no surprise (to me) as we all knew that the live Club Zoo shows were recorded well and tapes had been stacked in the vaults for four decades. Frustrating for us that we were not going to be delivered a standalone Club Zoo live CD (or a 2xCD set as there is plenty of excellent material to draw from). We were gonna have to dip much deeper into our wallets...

Being dragged back to the shops for another wallet dipping in order to puchase much material I already have purchased so many times over... for some 'new' items... is a frustrating process. I appreciate the book and essay look really great. A loving and carefully put together box as it is, these are hard times & I simply feel I cannot go there, much as I'd love to spend the school hols this Summer waking to all of it.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index