Topic View: Flat | Threaded
moggieboy
moggieboy
29 posts

Re: Teardrop Explodes box set
Dec 20, 2022, 20:50
Here's a C&P from Mojo:

2023 THE ESSENTIAL PREVIEW REISSUES

Flashback! With Teardrop Explodes box Culture Bunker.

AS WELL AS self-releasing new music – most recently, England Expectorates – Julian Cope is keen to curate his legacy via such output as his Cope’s Notes CD/book hybrids and Cold War Psychedelia, an archive trawl of his post-punk vehicle The Teardrop Explodes. With his cooperation, the band get the box set treatment next spring with seven-album set Culture Bunker 1978-82. Released on Universal, it sees two discs of singles A- and B-sides joined by no less than five albums of unreleased material.

Original Teardrops PR Mick Houghton has spent years distilling the idea. His and Cope’s pooled cassette archives yielded early and late live recordings, believed-lost studio sessions and other fascinating shards of revelatory, acid-marinated inspiration. Part of the plan, says Houghton, is to illuminate just how dynamic the band were outside their regular recorded form. “The Teardrops would never allow themselves to be tied down,” he says. “If you go that far out on a limb you’re bound to fall sometimes, but when they did, it was always with as much gusto as when they were triumphant. You get the best of both those worlds on Culture Bunker.”

He cites a March 1979 set at Manchester’s Band On The Wall (the band’s fifth show, “it has the same vibe as the Velvets’ Live At Max’s Kansas City,” says Houghton), demos for an aborted third LP (“Julian actually sounds like he’s into it, months before the rot set in”) and selections from the band’s four-week Club Zoo residency in Liverpool in ’81. Other finds include a February 1981 Portastudio instrumental of what would later become Cope’s solo debut hit World Shut Your Mouth, a dubby solo Cope version of Teardrops debut Camera Camera from 1984, and an excerpt of Flipped Out On LSD, an unreleased 1982 single by offshoot synth duo La Place De La Concorde. “Some cassettes were too warped, sadly,” says Houghton, “so we’ll probably never get to hear Love Me Mama Luton [by Teardrops alter-ego Whopper].”

No matter. With noises being made relating to Cope’s must-read 1994 Teardrops memoir Head On being released digitally, it’s time to tune in again. “I didn’t miss a single Club Zoo night, even the two matinees where literally it was just me, one man and his dog,” says Houghton, who also contributes super-entertaining sleevenotes. “I was living on speed for about a month so I remembered the shows being brilliant. And listening to the tapes again, I was right.”

Cover here: https://ibb.co/yhkqfmW

High hopes for it now...
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index