disgraceful gouging of Cope fans

28 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Andfurthermoreagain
Andfurthermoreagain
696 posts

Re: disgraceful gouging of Cope fans
Feb 23, 2017, 10:00
Thing is, I understand the 'collectible' nature of certain artists (eg Beatles, Elvis, Stones), in that their 'rare' records/memorabilia are attractive not only to fans but to the collectors market and historians as a whole, but Cope?

I would reckon the value of collectible records as follows;

1. Large worldwide importance/appeal of artist (including connection to later important artists, eg. Episode Six singles are collectible to Deep Purple fans)

2. Scarcity of the item

3. Historical significance of item (eg, a Beatles acetate/demo)

Now, the only thing that really comes into play for Cope, is arguably point 2.
The Teardrop Explodes and Cope's solo work have had moments of popular appeal and both are certainly influential in their own right, however I would class Cope as being a (for want of a much better word) cult artist with his own dedicated fan base.
Yes, some of those Head Heritage, Lord Yatesbury, Brain Donor release are scarce and limited but they are only really sought after by COPE FANS. I would not expect they have any importance to general collectors of rare records or memorabilia.*
So it does annoy me when you see Cope records hiked up to silly prices on eBay because essentially, its just a cynical exercise in fleecing die-hard fans who want the rarer stuff.

*One exception possibly being Krautrocksampler as this has been widely acknowledged as a significant and collectible item.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index