Unsung Forum »
disgraceful gouging of Cope fans

Pages: 3 – [ 1 2 3 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Glam Descendant
1539 posts

disgraceful gouging of Cope fans
Feb 23, 2017, 05:29
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Julian-Cope-SPACKHOUSE-TOTTU-CD-EP-131-LY-/252769661682?hash=item3ada3ef2f2:g:PTAAAOSw5cNYlyba
Glam Descendant
1539 posts

Re: disgraceful gouging of Cope fans
Feb 23, 2017, 05:30
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Julian-Cope-BRITS-ABROAD-CD-EP-131-LY5-Last-Tango-in-Paris/252769661684?_trksid=p2047675.c100623.m-1&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D41396%26meid%3D5b9f39da5cce4b2a86b701a0e446e8fe%26pid%3D100623%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D252769661682
Kid Calamity
9045 posts

Feb 23, 2017, 09:30
WakeyCats seems to have a lot of recent Cope CDs.
Andfurthermoreagain
Andfurthermoreagain
696 posts

Feb 23, 2017, 10:00
Thing is, I understand the 'collectible' nature of certain artists (eg Beatles, Elvis, Stones), in that their 'rare' records/memorabilia are attractive not only to fans but to the collectors market and historians as a whole, but Cope?

I would reckon the value of collectible records as follows;

1. Large worldwide importance/appeal of artist (including connection to later important artists, eg. Episode Six singles are collectible to Deep Purple fans)

2. Scarcity of the item

3. Historical significance of item (eg, a Beatles acetate/demo)

Now, the only thing that really comes into play for Cope, is arguably point 2.
The Teardrop Explodes and Cope's solo work have had moments of popular appeal and both are certainly influential in their own right, however I would class Cope as being a (for want of a much better word) cult artist with his own dedicated fan base.
Yes, some of those Head Heritage, Lord Yatesbury, Brain Donor release are scarce and limited but they are only really sought after by COPE FANS. I would not expect they have any importance to general collectors of rare records or memorabilia.*
So it does annoy me when you see Cope records hiked up to silly prices on eBay because essentially, its just a cynical exercise in fleecing die-hard fans who want the rarer stuff.

*One exception possibly being Krautrocksampler as this has been widely acknowledged as a significant and collectible item.
tk421
121 posts

Feb 23, 2017, 10:06
Initially, I thought that the rise in downloadable music would make this a non-issue. Why would you buy something that takes up space when when you can download it instead?

It doesn't seem to have worked that way. We all want the tangible artefact and, even if there isn't mass demand for object X, we will still pay over the odds to have it.
Andfurthermoreagain
Andfurthermoreagain
696 posts

Feb 23, 2017, 10:20
tk421 wrote:
Initially, I thought that the rise in downloadable music would make this a non-issue. Why would you buy something that takes up space when when you can download it instead?

It doesn't seem to have worked that way. We all want the tangible artefact and, even if there isn't mass demand for object X, we will still pay over the odds to have it.

I think most Cope fans would be happy with the digital version to hear the music as a priority, but speaking personally, Cope releases are generally more than just the music due to the usual aspect of interesting packaging, sleevenotes, poems etc.
For example, I have the digital version (downloaded from HH) of Too Freud, but would still like at some point to have the actual CD. I kinda resent paying over the odds though, despite my desire to own these items, as I kinda feel like someone's going "Cope fans'll pay silly money for this because they REALLY WANT IT".
I've read so many posts on this forum where actual Cope fans are swapping or offering up spare copies, picking up gig-only releases on behalf of another member, so certainly the inner fan community is much more altruistic than the 3rd party sellers.
tippy wooder
85 posts

Edited Feb 23, 2017, 11:08
Feb 23, 2017, 10:46
I actually contacted this seller, asking whether he would take a fee for MP3s (I don't want the Spackhouse Tottu and Brits Abroad CDs, just the tracks). I know that's not strictly legit, but how else can we get hold of them when the CDs are so limited, shows aren't always accessible for one reason or another, and E-Bay prices like this are so prohibitive. His reply was, basically, "no way".
Mark1971
Mark1971
252 posts

Feb 23, 2017, 12:28
That sort of thing is crap isn't it. It's basically nicking off the artist as much as illegal downloading is. The cash doesn't end up in the artists pocket, but a 3rd party who' selling it.

I have no idea what that particular CD / CDR sold for, but I'm guessing JC won't make as much profit as the guy selling it! Nowhere near.

Not that that makes it intrinsically wrong on it's own. It's depriving fans of getting it at a realistic price, and in it's own way increasing the rarity! If the gougers are buying them up!

On the other hand, I've seen artists doing limited runs of things who must realise that they could have sold twice or three times as many and it would still have been limited!

Anyway, here's hoping they just sit on eBay/Amazon/Discogs at that price & don't shift!
blahblahblah123
17 posts

Feb 23, 2017, 15:54
Same seller is also selling the Juan Fluorescent poem booklet for £25 - I still haven't managed to find a copy of that (does anybody have a spare by any chance - pretty please?)
Jeez
98 posts

Feb 23, 2017, 19:23
For me these people are the same evil capitalist MF types as ticket touts (who probably in their mind-sewers think they're providing 'a service'. Whenever I find out about a gig, the tickets have already sold out, bought up by touts and are being sold for triple the price on resale sites. It's the same thing.
It's just capitalism in action, and there's not much anyone can do to stop it.

For a clever gouger it would even make financial sense to pay for a gig ticket of an artist they hated just to acquire the limited merchandise to sell on, since they know there will always be fans who didn't go to the gigs who will want to get the merch.
These people have no love for the artist, just money.

In my time I've bought a couple of desperately wanted cds off EBay and paid well over the odds. (Too Jung and Discover Odin for example). I had to have them, and I'm glad I did but it's still leaves a bad taste. I'm also a Bowie fan, and the hike in prices of his records since he pegged it is just so frustrating.

For some people this sort of gouging exploitation is how they live.
Pages: 3 – [ 1 2 3 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index