Feb 23, 2017, 19:30
You're spot on there. Nice post.
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2614 posts

Edited Feb 23, 2017, 23:19
Re: disgraceful gouging of Cope fans
Feb 23, 2017, 23:12
Wise words all. The best thing that Julian (or whoever it is who handles his material) could do is to make these rarities available online for all as mp3s/high-res files or whatever. That way, not only would his greatest fans get the chance to hear his art, but those lucky enough to own it in a tangible format would have the pleasure of watching their CDs/LPs/whatever rise in value, not that any genuine fans would sell in the first place. Embargo touts - no exceptions.

However fine the product (and I don't know whether it is or not, but would love to hear it anyway), anyone who pays £50 a throw for discs like this needs their head examining. Mind you, I think the same of people who buy concert tickets from 'get me in' type sites. It's put me off ever attempting to buy a ticket to see anyone. Shit, I'm lucky enough to have a load of good records and a decent hifi to play them on. If bandits think they can take the piss by charging me daft moolah for further musical thrills, they can fuck right off.
Captain Starlet
Captain Starlet
1110 posts

Feb 24, 2017, 09:34
Sadly happens all the time, been after Floored Genius 4 and Jehovahcoat Demos but when they do get online they're about £40+
Moth
Moth
5236 posts

Feb 24, 2017, 12:35
If you ask me, it's far simpler - they're worth what anyone is willing to pay....

:o(

love

Moth
Citizensmurf
Citizensmurf
1704 posts

Feb 24, 2017, 15:42
Moth wrote:
If you ask me, it's far simpler - they're worth what anyone is willing to pay....

:o(

love

Moth

This is true. However, people are led into thinking these items are "must have" and "never going to see again" so they don't blink at the price these scalpers set them at. If only people would offer some restraint and deny the scalpers their prices by not buying from them, the market would normalize. I often wonder how many of these eBay sales are from people wanting to re-sell them, not actual fans.
Jeez
98 posts

Edited Feb 25, 2017, 10:58
Feb 25, 2017, 10:57
"Moth wrote:
If you ask me, it's far simpler - they're worth what anyone is willing to pay...."

This is the same philosophy that has led to it being improssible for working people to buy a house in London. I don't agree with it at all - there has to be some element of morality in human action.
You could apply the same argument to cancer drugs that although people are desperate to get them they can't afford them. I'm not saying Julian's records have the same value as cancer drugs, but it's just wrong to think and behave this way IMO.
Are we a civilised species or just basic animalistic grabbers with no other thought or standards of behaviour?
Glam Descendant
1539 posts

Feb 26, 2017, 00:44
Thank you.
Howburn Digger
Howburn Digger
986 posts

Edited Feb 26, 2017, 16:57
Feb 26, 2017, 16:49
Fans will pay what they will pay. The CDs in question were laid out on a merchandising table in Edinburgh recently for £5 - £10 a pop. The delightful young merchandiser flogged me a Juan Fluorescent book for £4. The tickets for the night for my Mrs and me were £54. I spent about £12 in petrol and two hours driving to get to the gig. A bottle of cider and a pint was £8.
If this eBay seller wants to try to flog these niche wee CDEPs for vastly inflated prices - good luck to them. That's gonna be a hard way to make a living.
I can understand fans who will part with such sums when they were unable to get to the gigs to buy the items (no sales for most of the 131 spin-off CDs through the HH Merchandiser - deliberately so). However having heard pretty much all of the 131 stuff, aside from a few tracks they don't really merit repeated listens and are pretty much for the completists, intriguing little beautifully conceived and designed CDs that they are.
Moth
Moth
5236 posts

Feb 27, 2017, 07:55
I didn't say it was right!!!! It's horrible & I hate it as much as anyone, I was just saying it's that simple....

love

Moth
Jeez
98 posts

Feb 27, 2017, 14:52
Sometimes I feel very sad
I guess I just wasn't made for these times
Wilson/Asher.

Oh well - maybe I'll get reincarnated in a Utopia next time!
Pages: 3 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index