My missus would wholeheartedly agree :)

Obviously a woman of good taste
garerama
garerama
1118 posts

Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 24 September 2016 CE
Sep 26, 2016, 18:45
Monganaut wrote:
I love reading your weekly selections, we share quite similar tastes musically, and generally you mentioned sometihng that tweaks that 'haven't heard that in a while, must dig it out' nerve. Nice one ! (This week it was AMT, David Sylvian and Japan by the way :)

Thanks. Likewise Monganaut. Yup going through a revisiting Japan and exploring more Sylvian phase at the moment and hearing things with Japan that I missed before. Great site this I always find something I have been listening to this week someone else is listening to. Guess I'm into so many "genres" and can go through periods of homing into or exploring more of particular stuff. There never seems to be enough to listen to!
garerama
garerama
1118 posts

Sep 26, 2016, 18:56
Monganaut wrote:
Only a few this week, heads not in the game musically speaking.

Coil - Ape Of Naples/....Ambulance.../ Moons Milk V 2/ Moons Milk (Bonus)
Not listened to Coil in too long. Really enjoyed these after so long, esp. the Moons Milk Bonus disc (Copal, Coppice Meat, Upel) and the 'And The Ambulance Died In His Arms', one of the more laid back live outings from ATP 2003. Johns on fine form banter wise, and the use of Hurdy Gurdy takes many tracks into new and wonderful territory's. Maaaan, I miss these cats!
Amb - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1QJTOyyZK4&list=PLY2_kRyCkpVFIS6firKlSlVjjODECcerE
Moons Milk Bonus (Full)- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNtWVlOkedE

They are re-issueing Ape Of Naples (and The New Backwards) on 7th October. Be good to get a proper copy of AON - damn fine album and like a lot of Coil has been difficult/ expensive to get copies other than via downloads etc ... Hopefully we'll be getting more (non-limited edition) Coil stuff soon.

Monganaut wrote:

Bauhaus - Bela
Still probably my fav' post punk 12". It's such an audacious statement of intent for a debut release, and after only 6 or so weeks being together. I'm told it's a one take thang, dunno how true that is, but there are a few fuck ups within, so possible. Was also my introduction to the idea of 'Dub'. I'd not really come across it before this, Sure Peel played the odd dub track, but it was Bela that turned me onto the possibilities of how spartan/ stripped back/ effects laden music could be so exciting. Went on to be a big dub fan, but took me a while to prick up the courage to venture into my local raster hang out dub emporium. Bela - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKRJfIPiJGY

Synchronicity - was listening to "Mask" and reminiscing when I first heard them in the early eighties when I opened your thread.
keith a
9574 posts

Edited Sep 26, 2016, 22:12
Sep 26, 2016, 22:11
mingtp wrote:
keith a wrote:
Electri_city - Elektronische Musik aus Düsseldorf Vols 1&2 – V/A

Been eyeing this, what's it like Keith?

Only played it the once so far, but very good. Some things I knew well and some I had never heard before. I bought it on vinyl - vol 2 has vol 1 with it so a very nice double LP effectively

Edit: Great cover too!!

https://i0.wp.com/groenland.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/217-310-electri_city-vol-ii.jpg?ssl=1
Monganaut
Monganaut
2382 posts

Edited Sep 27, 2016, 18:56
Sep 27, 2016, 18:55
garerama wrote:
They are re-issueing Ape Of Naples (and The New Backwards) on 7th October. Be good to get a proper copy of AON - damn fine album and like a lot of Coil has been difficult/ expensive to get copies other than via downloads etc ... Hopefully we'll be getting more (non-limited edition) Coil stuff soon.

Yeah saw that. Wish they'd re-release the really limited releases (the bonus CD's fer instance) that stuff is just outta my league as far as price goes. There were a few DL's of the harder to get albums a coupla years back, but would be nice to have an actual copy of them.
garerama
garerama
1118 posts

Sep 27, 2016, 20:09
Monganaut wrote:
garerama wrote:

Yeah saw that. Wish they'd re-release the really limited releases (the bonus CD's fer instance) that stuff is just outta my league as far as price goes. There were a few DL's of the harder to get albums a coupla years back, but would be nice to have an actual copy of them.

I was lucky enough to get some of the earlier albums at the time but missing a lot of their stuff mid 90s onwards. Yep totally agree they should be releasing more as the prices are crazy. I'm sure there were legit downloads recently but like yourself I prefer actual copies. Internet Archive website have a large amount of stuff in the meantime ... http://dangerousminds.net/comments/how_to_destroy_angels_for_free_coil
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6218 posts

Sep 27, 2016, 20:16
Will check that out, thanks for the recommend.

I really, really like Grasscut, the last album is one of my favourite of the last decade. I think it's the combination of lyrics that take some work to fully hear and intricate use of strings and samples of dialogue. But not to everyone's taste I'm certain. To be honest I was hooked from the first album's reference to the Iron Age :)
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6218 posts

Sep 27, 2016, 20:26
Fatalist wrote:

The Sea Nymphs – On The Dry Land

Cabaret Voltaire – The Voice Of America. Thought I better give ‘em another go ;-) Liked this more, particularly the opening track, but my attention wandered as it progressed.

Looking forward to hearing the Sea Nymphs one.

Been listening to Cabs a lot this last month or so, but mainly focussing on the Virgin albums that I never listened to much before. In fact The Crackdown (1983) has been on repeat since Sunday night.

I think the early stuff is their best, they do work very well in short bursts. The first EP and "Nag Nag Nag" single are terrific, menacing dispatches from some urban dystopia. Their best LP from the Rough Trade years may be Three Mantras (which is two instrumental tracks). They missed Chris Watson when he left, the hiss and found sound of albums like Voice of America adds a definite edge to the proceedings that is lacking from the cleaner Virgin albums, even more so on the Parlophone albums at the end of the 80s.
Pages: 5 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index