Forgotten Gems

Pages: 3 – [ 1 2 3 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Kid Calamity
9044 posts

Forgotten Gems
Oct 14, 2015, 09:50
DEVO: Are We Not Men?

Just got this on CD. My vinyl copy has sat on the shelf, unplayed, for decades.

Fuuuu... I'd forgotten just how utterly brilliant this was. What an album!!
billding68
billding68
1016 posts

Re: Forgotten Gems
Oct 14, 2015, 10:56
Duty now for the future is also great!Hell, Freedom of choice aint no slouch either! it does slowly go south from there but I agree Are we not men is a gem.
Robot Emperor
Robot Emperor
762 posts

Oct 14, 2015, 11:16
For me its things released in the last 15 years or so that fall into the black hole of my ageing memory. I'd have listened to them a couple of times (maybe even 5 or 6) when I bought them and then stuck them in to alphabetical anonymity. Doesn't happen so much now due to me putting them on to the computer and then on to my seemingly limitless phone.

So... (some I have stumbled across again recently)

Comets On Fire - Blue Cathedral.
Espers - s/t.
Ikara Colt - Chat and Business.
Liars - They threw us in a trench... (actually all the Liars albums fall off my radar periodically).
Ladytron - The Witching Hour
Madvillain - Madvillainy
Ohia - Magnolia Electric Company.

2002 - 2005 seems to be the worst affected, whilst the world was still adjusting to digital music files (ok, whilst I was still adjusting).

Oh, and everything Supergrass did. Always comes as a surprise when I listen to any of their albums how good they are.
spencer
spencer
3070 posts

Oct 14, 2015, 12:00
1) Steve Miller Band - Recall The Beginning.......A Journey From Eden. Because of what was the second side of the vinyl there is no pedestal high enough for this. Quite profound. There is an Unsung review...... 2) Paul Kantner and Jefferson Starship - Blows Against The Empire.. in a way, a 'sarabande for the sixties' that at the same time looks forward to infinity. Grace Slick deserves her own place on the credits. Way, way, more than a singer. Lights off. Absorb. Travel....... 3) Fairport Convention - History of .. documenting the bands first five years. What they achieved in this time remains stupendous ....... 4) Holger Czukay - Movies .. seems ageless, very rarely mentioned on SOOL other than by moi ....... 5) Spirit - Future Games .. Squid, Ian and I bow down. But. As absorbing now as on its release. The Unsung review's on the money. Ahead of its time. A trip, start to finish....... 6) Bunny Wailer - Dub Disco Vol 1. Blackheart Man's dub variant. Lovely cloudy music by stellar players. The snap, crackle, pop of the original JA vinyl adds to the experience. Inhale deeply and...relax
Maldoror
Maldoror
720 posts

Oct 14, 2015, 12:51
The Shroud Of... - Minimal Man
stray
stray
2057 posts

Edited Oct 14, 2015, 13:23
Oct 14, 2015, 13:19
Vulva - From the cockpit. Pointlessly offensive title aside this is still a classic Rephlex release. One that I've had a couple of periods of completely forgetting and then rediscovering.

The Ex - Starters Alternators. Although I regularly play their more recent releases (and the albums with Tom Cora), this is one that I've been playing a lot again. I do think of it as a Fugazi tribute album though. Oh, and Steve Albini produced it, so it's proper.

Oval - Systemisch. Because it's easy to forget what real glitch music sounds like.

Singers & Players - War of Words. Remembered due to re-release. The best of the Singers & Players releases I reckon.
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Oct 15, 2015, 15:07
The Superior Viaduct 2cd of the Hardcore material is pretty great. It comes from before they got a recording contract. Well worth checking out.
machineryelf
3681 posts

Oct 15, 2015, 16:37
Tempest Bosah - Squid and Stray collab from back in the day which I had completely forgotten about, looking for something else on an old disc[Boris - Vein if your interested] and ended up listening to this instead, very good indeed
1001realapes
1001realapes
2386 posts

Oct 15, 2015, 17:56
Kid Calamity wrote:
DEVO: Are We Not Men?

Just got this on CD. My vinyl copy has sat on the shelf, unplayed, for decades.

Fuuuu... I'd forgotten just how utterly brilliant this was. What an album!!

Loved it at the time , my fave Devo
these days is Hardcore
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8761 posts

Oct 15, 2015, 22:28
machineryelf wrote:
Tempest Bosah - Squid and Stray collab from back in the day which I had completely forgotten about, looking for something else on an old disc[Boris - Vein if your interested] and ended up listening to this instead, very good indeed

Blimey - I'm not sure I've even got that now!
Pages: 3 – [ 1 2 3 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index