Pages: 3 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
machineryelf
3681 posts

Re: Forgotten Gems
Oct 16, 2015, 07:45
Squid Tempest wrote:
machineryelf wrote:
Tempest Bosah - Squid and Stray collab from back in the day which I had completely forgotten about, looking for something else on an old disc[Boris - Vein if your interested] and ended up listening to this instead, very good indeed

Blimey - I'm not sure I've even got that now!

really is a forgotten gem then
stray
stray
2057 posts

Oct 16, 2015, 08:36
machineryelf wrote:
Squid Tempest wrote:
machineryelf wrote:
Tempest Bosah - Squid and Stray collab from back in the day which I had completely forgotten about, looking for something else on an old disc[Boris - Vein if your interested] and ended up listening to this instead, very good indeed

Blimey - I'm not sure I've even got that now!

really is a forgotten gem then

Ha, yep. I don't even know what archive to dig out to find that in.
Captain Starlet
Captain Starlet
1110 posts

Oct 16, 2015, 12:12
Prince Sign O The Times for me. Was listening to a doc on 6Music on Prince and forgot how bloody good it is.

Song wise, Pink Fairies- Do It, on the same radio station, last time I heard that was under some chemical influence many many years ago.
billding68
billding68
1016 posts

Oct 16, 2015, 14:28
X, Los Angeles ,wild gift,under the big black sun,more fun in the new world.

don't know the reach of these four albums outside of southern California but all four produced (and played on) by Ray Manzarek of the doors brilliantly. X at the time outdid just about every punk band around in terms of lyrics,power, and musicianship.All four albums GEMS in my book.
Gnomon
Gnomon
1121 posts

Oct 16, 2015, 14:34
Robot Emperor wrote:
For me its things released in the last 15 years or so that fall into the black hole of my ageing memory. I'd have listened to them a couple of times (maybe even 5 or 6) when I bought them and then stuck them in to alphabetical anonymity.

It's the same for me, particularly with some of Julian's later releases which I've taken to playing again recently.
Gnomon
Gnomon
1121 posts

Oct 16, 2015, 14:37
Kid Calamity wrote:
DEVO: Are We Not Men?

Just got this on CD. My vinyl copy has sat on the shelf, unplayed, for decades.

Fuuuu... I'd forgotten just how utterly brilliant this was. What an album!!

Very weird album at the time. Can't remember if they led me to Pere Ubu's 'Datapanik' or the other way round. Used to have a live DEVO bootleg which I played to death. Must have leant it to someone back in the day...
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Oct 16, 2015, 21:38
Quint Time Wounds all Heels
proggy folky lp by ex-Ut Sally Young. I think I may have bought this from the band's gig I saw in Dublin in '98. Not sure how well known it was even when it was current.
THink its great though

Savage Republic Jamahiriya
very atmospheric middle eastern sounding krautrock influenced drone rock by Los Angeles band from '88.

Conqueroo From The Vulcan Gas co, especially since I kept getting tracks from it on my walkman today.

Crime & The City Solution Room of Lights
2 ex-Birthday Party types meet an early influence and come out with a Doorsy jazzy blues lp.

THin White Rope IN The Spanish Cave and several others
nice twin guitar grind based in country and blues with enigmatic lyricism that has to be looked at to be totally deciphered.

Moodists 2 Fisted Art great overview of their recorded work.
Melbourne band that relocated to London. reminiscent of Echo & tHe Bunymen, Doors, Northern Soul bassslines and corrosive guitars, at least while Mick Turner was onboard.

probably a few other bits and pieces.

Stevo
caldervalium
caldervalium
516 posts

Oct 16, 2015, 21:56
Steve Miro and The Eyes - Rude Intrusions
The Mothmen - Pay Attention

Two classic and bizarrely obscure albums from the late '70s Mancunian indie/underground scene, both would consistently hold a place in my personal all-time top 20 albums, if I was a list-y kind of person.

Also, the first 4 Pearls Before Swine albums.
1001realapes
1001realapes
2388 posts

Edited Oct 18, 2015, 23:07
Oct 18, 2015, 23:06
Blue Phantom - Distortions

Limbus 3

Limbus 4
carol27
747 posts

Oct 20, 2015, 19:43
Captain Starlet wrote:
Prince Sign O The Times for me. Was listening to a doc on 6Music on Prince and forgot how bloody good it is.

Song wise, Pink Fairies- Do It, on the same radio station, last time I heard that was under some chemical influence many many years ago.

Ooh, most of Prince for me , though I don't really " forget" him ever.
I'm reminded of Devo however & my fav is Duty Now For The Future. Top well good.
Pages: 3 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index