carol27
747 posts

Edited Sep 27, 2015, 18:07
Re: Country & Western Challenge
Sep 27, 2015, 18:00
I'm sorry but I must insist on, single tracks only :-
Jimmy C Newman - Daddy's In His Pirouge
Hank Williams Jnr - Family Tradition
John Anderson - Black Sheep (a work of genius - albeit a mite sexist)
Lefty Frizell - I'm Gonna Hire a Wino & You're the Reason God Made Oklahoma
Waylon Jennings - Are You Sure Hank Done It This Way.
Rodney Crowell - Stars on the Water
I don't really care about the C & W politics, or the PC ness. These are splendid songs & why I do appreciate some C & W :)
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Sep 27, 2015, 18:25
John Anderson , reminds of this country rock ? goodie .
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQH_Zf-Eh2Q

Junior is always entertaining with plenty laughs .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_wLVCLPx0M
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DaEzT5MusFs

Some of Shania’s , and many others mates , being indulgent , more is more .
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oeJHnkUKg_M
Astralcat
Astralcat
742 posts

Sep 28, 2015, 07:46
Fair comment. Will do.

This thread had got me thinking to the obvious roots in other genres eg trad. folk etc. Any suggestions re Bluegrass/Banjo sounds etc ?
Astralcat
Astralcat
742 posts

Sep 28, 2015, 08:07
Problem with 'Americana' is it's neither one thing nor the other is it ? Sort of Edinburgh Woolen Mill Lumberjack Shirtzac, like The Trust Fund Wurzels.
zphage
zphage
3378 posts

Sep 28, 2015, 14:46
Much of what has been recommended is classic and good, but may not do the trick if you have an aversion.

Bloodshot Records is a great alt country label.

Neko Case is a great singer with country roots.

Hightone Records was a great label through the 90s with lots of hard country, with a real nice 5cd sampler box.

Bakersfield sound: Tommy Collins(originator), Wynn Stewart, Buck Owens, Dwight Yoakam is a modern Bakersfield and the gold standard of modern country. Also check out his and Steve Earle's 80s debut. Also three very good comps: Town South of Bakersfield.

Sugarhill Records(yes there are two such named labels)is a modern citadel of true believers, there is a great 4cd sampler.

Marty Stuart mixes country, rockabilly, bluegrass, gospel, etc.,like a man on a mission.

Also the whole cowpunk scene: Blood the on Saddle, Beat Farmers, Rank and File, etc.,

Billy Joe Shaver 70s thru current work is world weary and driven which is missing from his outlaw brethen.

Charlie Rich started rockabilly and r&b thru the 50s and 60s and settled into country in the 70s.

Jerry Lee Lewis' country work thru the 60s and 70s is all recommended with tons of rockabilly swagger.

Jim Reeves has smooth warm crooning style that many find very welcoming and accessible.

If you are gonna do Hank williams I would recommend 'Alone With His Guitar' stripped down versions.
Astralcat
Astralcat
742 posts

Sep 29, 2015, 08:14
Thanks Zphage. Lots of good info to check but I'll have to skip Jim Reeves as I spent many a childhood hour in the back of of the car being tortured by my Dad's 8 track cartridge of Jim Reeves.

'Bimbo' - The horror. The horror.
billding68
billding68
1016 posts

Edited Sep 29, 2015, 17:40
Sep 29, 2015, 17:40
Personally when I listen to country I go straight for the late 60's early 70's stuff! Don't care for the latter music its much to slick and even Auto Tuned at this point. Earlier than the 60's while still good tends to go more bluegrass/folk which is fine but I'll take the 70's over the top hair/outfits not to mention the music!

Slim Whitman (the king of country)
Conway Twitty
Boxcar Willie
Dolly Parton
Glen Campbell
George Jones
the staler brothers
jimmy dean
Loretta lynn
You really cant go wrong with any of these if this is the type of country youre after! Slim Whitman has had just as much impact on shaping who I am as far as my musical tastes as any "pop or rock" musician and I highly recommend you check him out. (even though Lawrence will disagree! LOL)
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Sep 29, 2015, 17:48
I think honkytonk is more 40s 50s and gave birth to a lotof the more lasting classics.

Hillbilly boogie sounds like a less amped r'n'r about 10 years early and is really great.
Western Swing is late 40s and pretty great.

For a while country was like a white equivalent to the blues, the same songs sung by people of which ever ethnic background would turn up in either the country or race charts. There was a lot of crossover of material and influence.

& the more churchy old timey stuff is a different thing too.

THere is lots of great stuff from those years and it only really became schmaltzy in the late 50s and 60s I think, possibly a little earlier since low common denominator stuff tends to sell widely.

I used to love the bar Son Of Redneck behind Selfridges on Oxford st in the mid 80s. Used to play a loto f40s and 50s country,. Is there anything like taht still happening in London I wonder.

Stevo
ron
ron
706 posts

Oct 01, 2015, 14:41
ron wrote:
to me that is "folk hipster"...

not that that is a bad thing... it is good music... I've just got a different perspective on what is "Country" and what is "Western". On the East side of the Mississippi River "Western" no longer exists... it's simply "Country"... yet once you cross the River, the flavour changes dramatically to "Western"...

the Rock also is distinctly different as well... for instance I always thot this was Since you've been gone yet when I re-based eastward and I heard this I bee like... "that ain't rite..." but... as i've discovered in my multiple cross country trips this year, there are subtle differences in the middle that become more profound as you get to either coast...

no offense intended... my oldest is the poster child for "hipster" and he takes my comments with good humour and mostly has pretty harsh comebacks... so...
Kid Calamity
9048 posts

Country & Western Challenged
Oct 01, 2015, 15:38
Of all the musical genres, sub genres, styles and things that barely fit anywhere, that I listen to and generally get, Country & Western really does, by and large defeat me when trying to appreciate it.

I like a lot of early Johnny Cash, if that counts, though. There really is, IMO, a lot of embarrassing poo amongst even that, though.
Pages: 6 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index