Pages: 6 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Re: Country & Western Challenge
Sep 26, 2015, 15:03
Popel Vooje wrote:

I'd also add Patsy Cline and Loretta Lynn, Michael Nesmith's early albums with the First National Band,

I just discovered yesterday that the first 5 ( I think) lps by these are together as an original Album Classics set. Has bonus tracks on a couple of the lps.
I had one set that wasa 2fer of the 1st 2 lps by them

Popel Vooje wrote:

and - if your definition of country is broad enough to encompass bluegrass - the Stanley Brothers and early Flatt & Scruggs and the Dillards (not to mention the two superb albums Foug Dillard made with Gene Clark).

didn't mention bluegrass or old timey stuff like the carter Family but there is quite a bit of good stuff there. I did think of the brothers bands like the Stanleys and the Louvins after posting. i have a great razor & Tie set by the Louvins.
Proper is also a great label for old c&w. the 4cds for £14 and the introduction to 1cds are great.
JUst remembering i didn't mention Hank Snow earlier though he's great. As is Moon Mullican who I havea proper 2cd set by too.
Been meaning to get the Sons of The Pioneers set since Bob Nolan is such a great poetical lyricist.
JSP also have some stuff i think.

Popel Vooje wrote:
Nancy Sinatra and Lee Hazlewood occasionally made some decent stabs in a C&W direction (such as their covers of "Jackson" and "My Elusive Dreams"), as did Glen Campbell, but the bulk of their material probably couldn' t be defined as country.

I think Hazlewood works in country based music naturally. & most of the well knwn tracks by the duo are at least partially based in the genre. Though they have weird trappings like backwards guitars and stuff all over the place.

Stevo
1001realapes
1001realapes
2389 posts

Edited Sep 26, 2015, 15:10
Sep 26, 2015, 15:05
The Bear Family comps
Dim Lights , Thick Smoke & Hillbilly Music
are quite good , they run 1945-1970 , wonderful
hardcover booklets

https://www.bear-family.com/cat/index/sCategory/92820
MantraMouth
112 posts

Sep 26, 2015, 15:23
I can't say I love the genre but I agree with a lot of these posts, the old stuff is where the treasures can be found. I would also reccomended John Prine, it's folky but definetly country based. If you're including bluegrass there is Old and in the Way as well as Leon Russell and the New Grass Revival.
ron
ron
706 posts

Sep 26, 2015, 16:19
x
x
x
Lubin
Lubin
509 posts

Edited Sep 26, 2015, 16:40
Sep 26, 2015, 16:34
Astralcat wrote:
OK. The one genre that largely defeats me in appreciation value. Rock moments with a C & W element I'm fine with eg. CSN/Y, Manassas, (not the fucking Eagles ! NO WAY), Byrds, Waterboys etc, but what should I check out to really see if I can get it once and for all. I tried Gram Parsons once and didn't dig , but I felt like that about The Incredible String Band once who I know adore. I know the usual recommendations are Johnny Cash (liked some I've heard, not all by any means), so what would any HHeads with this particular inclination suggest for me to check out and suss this conundrum once and for all ?

Apart from the obvious there are some great act out there.

Gillian Welch
Dave Rawlings , also Gillian's guitarist
Ryan Bingham , Bristol in October
Jason Isbell
Jeffrey Foucault , I'm playing him a lot at the moment especially this song.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=giYXOK_wJ3o

Ben Glover who is Irish
Slaid Cleaves
The latest stuff from Emmylou Harris with Rodney Crowell is good
Steve Earle I'm also seeing him in Bristol at the beginning of October
And two Australians who are rated in Nashville Shane Nicholson and Kasey Chambers , solo or together.
ron
ron
706 posts

Sep 26, 2015, 16:40
to me that is "folk hipster"...
Pursued By Trees
Pursued By Trees
1135 posts

Sep 26, 2015, 20:54
I'm with Stevo on the Outlaw stuff, Cash, Jennings and Nelson especially ... maybe a bit of Merle Haggard too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMqJYNb5JrY

Wonder how much trouble I'd be in for mentioning Chet Atkins on Unsung ... there's a lot of trash certainly, ah but when it's good ...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0IOBVTdHZiw
carol27
747 posts

Sep 26, 2015, 21:15
The NME once did a brilliant compilation called Neon West,on cassette ( yes tape!), which I loved. It had Dolly Parton ( A Gamble Either Way) Hank Williams Jnr (Family Traditions),Guy Clarke (Home Grown Tomatoes), John Anderson (Black Sheep), Lefty Frizzell (I'm Gonna Hire a Wino),The Judds (John Deere Tractor) & Waylon Jennings ( Are You Sure Hank Done it This Way) & more! Can't think of the other tracks but it's ace & I'm very sad that I no longer have it cos it got played to death.
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Sep 26, 2015, 21:49
I was just thinking of adding Merle Haggard who I couldn't remember earlier, then a track from a live set by him popped up on myu walkman while I was out.

Chet Atkins is a great guitarist. I think Steve Howe even claims some influence from him. But Chet was also the architect of the Nashiville countrypolitan sound so is a little on the evil side innit?

Oh yeah thinking of great guitarists, haven't mentioned Buck Owens and his guitar foil Don Rich who is truly great.

Stevo
Sin Agog
Sin Agog
2253 posts

Sep 26, 2015, 23:26
caldervalium wrote:
For a slightly left-field treat, check out the 'Rubber Room' compilation by Porter Wagoner. Death, disaster, infidelity, betrayal, and on the title track (memorably covered by Alex Chilton) a questionable take on insanity. Great fun.

Love that comp. He had some of the best production at that period of his career- you almost feel like someone slipped some opiates into your tea whilst listening. Those echoey vocals, and timpani drums, and reverb, unexpected time signature changes and odd backing singers... Dewd was definitely on[to] something.

I think popol mentioned The Dillards earlier? They did one of my top 5 live albums of all time, Live!!! Almost!!! Their between-song banter is so good they make Robyn Hitchcock look like a monosyllabic grunting NME poster boy. Funny motherfunkers. Their production got pretty adventurous later on when they delved into the more progressive end of bluegrass (see also: John Hartford - Aereo-Plain, Muleskinner, Osborne Brothers, Béla Fleck).

He's more on the folky end of the country spectrum, but I'm listening to some Michael Hurley right now, and he really is one of my favourite songwriters on the planet. Like a tad more chilled and together Holy Modal Rounders. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouoQ1DIVi2Q
Pages: 6 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index