Yes! A big fat emphatic YES at that.

(And No I'm not wild on GUIP either!)
5-Track
5-Track
193 posts

Edited Sep 15, 2015, 03:39
Re: "Lulu" - Lou Reed & Metallica
Sep 15, 2015, 03:37
I thought it was great, tho far from enjoyable.

What I loved:
The guitar tones, some of the songwriting, some of the riffs, the way the overall vibe changes from disc one to disc two, Lou's "singing", that it was all done live in a room, that Metallica did it at all. Loud it is pulverizing & visceral.

What I didn't like:
Hetfield's backup vocals. Also the creepy-ass way the lyrics made me feel. But that's true of lots of Lou's best work.

The whole thing is streamable here:
http://loureedmetallica.com/lulu.php

As Lou's swan song I think it's a brilliant fuck you. I also really loved his meditation album Hudson River Wind Meditations and his improv album Metal Machine Trio. Can't get enough of that guy's mind, & it seemed to me that in his last decade he got free enough to do some amazing things—check out on youtube his improvs with Zorn, Milford Graves, others.

A Metallica-fan friend's response (who knew nothing really of Lou prior)—
"I think he woke up one morning & said to himself, 'y'know what? fuck metallica!' & thus motivated set out to make this record."
billding68
billding68
1016 posts

Sep 15, 2015, 04:46
my last bit on this album..It seems as though Mr Reed and metallica purposely made the worst album they possibly could though it would have been better if they would have shortened it to just one song and did a split single with David Hasselhoff that would have been a steaming slab of shit Lulu is crap for all the right reasons but if they had the vision to do the split single perhaps it would have been remembered rather than fading into obscurity.
5-Track
5-Track
193 posts

Sep 15, 2015, 04:51
billding68 wrote:
my last bit on this album..It seems as though Mr Reed and metallica purposely made the worst album they possibly could though it would have been better if they would have shortened it to just one song and did a split single with David Hasselhoff that would have been a steaming slab of shit Lulu is crap for all the right reasons but if they had the vision to do the split single perhaps it would have been remembered rather than fading into obscurity.

I've heard a lot of people say essentially the same thing...

I really don't get how this album strikes such a harsh nerve with so many folks!!!

but that in itself is impressive.
mr sulcus
mr sulcus
399 posts

Sep 15, 2015, 09:38
Hudson River Wind Meditations is outstanding. Quite like Cope's "Odin" I think. Not heard the Metal Machine Trio discs (I think they did a couple of things), and kick myself for not making the effort to see them when they toured.
uncompliantics
1 posts

Edited Sep 23, 2015, 05:11
Sep 23, 2015, 05:10
ok, i have to jump in here and say that the last track of this album ("Junior Dad") is really something. kills me every time i hear it. unfortunately, a lot of people probably never made it that far.
Pages: 3 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index