25 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Toni Torino
2299 posts

Re: Teardrop Explodes on Toppermost
Sep 03, 2015, 09:37
IanB wrote:
Popel Vooje wrote:
Yes, it'a true he still had occasional pockets of support (like Dave Rimmer interviewing him just after "Sunshine Playroom" and claiming that the TX records were "bloody good" right up to the end), but they were in the minority. Apart from the Janice Long show don't remember "Sunshine playroom" getting much airplay at the time, but then I never listened to Capital Radio.

You two have amazing memories for historical detail. I was a fan through Wilder and then lapsed until I started seeing a fair bit of Mick Houghton through my job circa 1986/7 around the time of "The Man" and he was really passionate in banging the drum for Cope as a misunderstood genius. That's what got me interested again otherwise it could have been another five years before I caught up with him as a solo artist. I can't listen to Peggy anymore because of the self-consciously baggy production. The earlier solo albums are much more of a satisfying listen .... with the benefit of considerable hindsight of course.

Heh heh, Teardrops were the first thing I became in any way obsessive about. I really wanted them to be mega-successful. Another thing, I saw them at Hamersmith Odean in June-ish 1981 and again at the Palais (sigh...) February 1982. I don't recall any screaming girls at either show. In fact we saw a couple of uber-cool sixth-formers from our school at the first gig and got on nodding terms with the lad and blushing "hellos" with the girl thereafter.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index