Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8768 posts

Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 29 August 2015 CE
Aug 31, 2015, 19:17
thesweetcheat wrote:
machineryelf wrote:
Three Johns - Volume

Just ordered this, looking forward to it very much.

I just got my copy today. Hoorah! :)
Gravel
12 posts

Aug 31, 2015, 19:35
Father John Misty - I love you, honeybear
The Isley Brothers - givin it back
Moon Duo- circles
Moon Duo- shadow of the sun
Goat - world music
Young Marble Giants - colossal youth
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8768 posts

Aug 31, 2015, 20:45
Gravel wrote:
Father John Misty - I love you, honeybear
The Isley Brothers - givin it back
Moon Duo- circles
Moon Duo- shadow of the sun
Goat - world music
Young Marble Giants - colossal youth

Ooh - YMG, I used to love them. Might have to dig that out.
Fatalist
Fatalist
1123 posts

Edited Aug 31, 2015, 22:13
Aug 31, 2015, 22:08
Been away, so very little this week…

Uncle Acid – The Night Creeper. Very solid. The spooky mellowness of epic closer ‘Slow Death’ is particularly good.

I've been dipping into various tracks from the cross-over years between psych and prog, including:

Electric Banana – ‘Eagle’s Son’. Super piece of proto-prog from Pretty Things’ alter ego: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YDNVyjIkP0

T2 – ‘No More White Horses’. The great lost band of the early prog era. This track never fails to blow me away: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yg1i6Y-ybTw

SRC – ‘Across the Land of Light’. There’s very few American bands from the early 70s that you’d really term ‘prog’, but I reckon the third album from SRC is in with a shout: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJ5npWt3iKY

Frumpy – ‘Good Winds’. Everybody raves about krautrock these days, but this is what German music fans were actually listening to in the early 70s (check the awesome vocs from Inga Rumpf): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ee7e5G60lbk

Listen With Father:

Just back from a very wet camping trip with daughter 1 – playing an 80s singles comp in the car, loads of fantastic pop, including ‘Party Fears Two’ by the Associates. Daughter not only notes that the singer reminds her of David Bowie, but also says “like on ‘Boys Keep Swinging’”, which of course was the Associates first single. My heart swelled with pride… ;-0
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Aug 31, 2015, 22:20
machineryelf wrote:
IanB wrote:

Allmans - Eat A Peach (deluxe)
Virgin Prunes - If I Die, I Die
Maurizio Barbetti, Rossella Spinosa - John Cage; Morton Feldman: In A Silent Way

Only found out about the eat a Peach Deluxe recently, will be going on the list along withthe Cage/Feldman

good call on The Prunes, they seem to have been written out of the history of the 80s , too goth for the hipsters, too hipster for the goths, wonderful band

True. Wasted Youth fell into the same category. I only saw the Prunes once opening for Pere Ubu at PNL (I think Squid was at that one too). I was on acid having a tricky time and they absolutely terrified me. This would be late 1980 or early 1981. The records never quite lived up to that night but this is a particularly good album I think.
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Aug 31, 2015, 22:23
machineryelf wrote:
Man - Maximum Darkness is my fave Man release

nice to have the Blown Out on vinyl as well, been a long time since it was ordered, sounds even better in the flesh

Glad I am not alone in my love of Maximum Darkness. It all sounds so wonderfully present like you are actually on stage with them. That period through Welsh Connection and the farewell tour is my favourite Man era. In John McKenzie they found their Ken Gradney to Terry Williams' Richie Hayward.
laresident
laresident
861 posts

Sep 01, 2015, 03:14
I would be quite chuffed. My daughter, now fourteen, although subjected to a broad choice of car music since an early age and a perfect captive in the LA traffic, sadly shows no interest in any gendre.
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Sep 02, 2015, 15:45
Sep 02, 2015, 15:36
Squid Tempest wrote:
Man - Maximum Darkness
Loving Man at the moment. Wasn't familiar with this before. I particularly like Bananas and the extra track version of C'Mon. Ace!

The bonus tracks are not from the same show but actually taken from the Keystone shows in 1976 with a slightly different line up (return of Phil Ryan and a brand new bassist). There is an entire Keystone show appended to the reissue of Welsh Connection and is well worth the price of admission. Terry Williams is especially brilliant on that one. Which is saying something. The whole thing has a menace not present on All's Well That Ends Well with its more relaxed, party vibe. So, if you love Maximum Darkness and want to hear that kind of thing done live with a more exciting bass player, then it's a must-have. And you get to actually hear what is absent on Maximum Darkness - the triple guitar front line with John Cippolina, if only on the last four songs.
machineryelf
3681 posts

Sep 02, 2015, 18:29
Ta, nice to know, probably about time I renewed Maximum Darkness and that will make a nice addition
machineryelf
3681 posts

Edited Sep 02, 2015, 18:35
Sep 02, 2015, 18:33
Prunes on acid, that would be hard to beat. I saw them in 85 in some alldayer with a rake of lousy neopsychedelic bands ,they stood out a country mile.Someone had obviously dosed a large number of the crowd with bad acid and a lot of people spent the day raving and drooling in the corners, I suspect the Prunes caused a fair few nightmares that day

edit I suppose the question needs to be asked , You're going to see Pere Ubu with support from the Virgin Prunes, who decided that this experience was going to be improved with acid?
Pages: 5 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index