Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 23 May 2015 CE
May 24, 2015, 22:34
Fairport Convention - Liege & Lief

Spirogyra - Bells, Boots & Shambles

Performance - OST

Del Shannon - Home & Away
Del Shannon - Drop Down & Get Me

Genesis - Selling England By The Pound

Popol Vuh - Sei Still, Wisse ICH BIN (had only played this once before and it hadn't really done much for me. Gave it another go, and was wondering why Florian Fricke had decided to do something so dirgey. Then as it got towards the end of the first side I hit the speed button to see if I preferred it at 45RPM. And suddenly it sounded like Popol Vuh rather than a poor man's Sunn O)))! Looked at the sleeve and it does say '45RPM Stereo'. Very odd. It's now up there with the classics, especially as it is pretty much a collaboration with members of Amon Düül II and Klaus Schulze, with a bloody great choir on top! Bits of it turned up again in the following...)
Popol Vuh - Fitzcarraldo OST (Popol Vuh mixed in with field recordings and flashbacks to Caruso. An odd mix, but a great movie).

Pink Floyd - Piper At The Gates Of Dawn
Pink Floyd - A Saucerful Of Secrets

Simple Minds - Empires & Dance
Simple Minds - Sons & Fascination
Simple Minds - Sister Feelings Call
Simple Minds - New Gold Dream (this is where Simple Minds just got better with each release. I generally find them less interesting from this point onwards, although they still had there moments).

Can - Future Days (Perhaps influenced by Cope's negative review of this album, it took me a long time to really appreciate it, but I love it now).

OMD - Sugar Tax

Amon Düül II - Tanz Der Lemminge (Such an odd, unfocused LP this, but it makes for an occasionally rewarding listen).

The Monkees - The Birds, The Bees & The Monkees
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index