Aglaia - Absolutely Deep

High Wolf - Animal Totem

High Wolf - Ascension

High Wolf - Atlas Nation

High Wolf - Freedom or Death

High Wolf - Gabon

V.A. - Heavy Nuggets Vol. 2

The Charlatans - Between 10th And 11th

Thousand Yard Stare - weatherwatching e.p.

Brian Eno - New Space Music (Neroli bonus disc)

Captain Beyond - st

Montrose - st

Roxy Music - For Your Pleasure

Roxy Music - Country Life

Roxy Music - Avalon

Jethro Tull - Minstrel in the Gallery

Magazine - Peel Session 24-07-78

Stephen Micus - The Music of Stones

The Incredible String Band - Be Glad for the Song has No Ending

Ozric Tentacles - Technicians of the Sacred (disc 1)

Sun Ra - Lanquidity
Terryto
28 posts

Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 23 May 2015 CE
May 24, 2015, 15:00
AR Kane - I
Nico - Desertshore
Human Switchboard compilation
Low - C'mon
Low - Drums and Guns
Fugazi - End Hits
Ultra Vivid Scene - 1st LP
Richard Hell - Blank Generation
Pastels/Tenniscoats - Two Sunsets
jb lamptoast-morsley
jb lamptoast-morsley
2447 posts

May 24, 2015, 15:12
Tried out Faith No More's Sol Invictus a few times. Got some good songs on it, my fav being motherfucker. But is it better than that other great motherfucker derivation, like a motherfucker? That's another question

Pharoah Overlord - The battle of the Axehammer (live). A new discovery of mine. Om have a lot to answer for.Maybe. Good stuff as it goes

Stockholm Monsters - Alma Mater Plus. Needs more listens, but not against the idea

Cranium Pie - Mechanisms Part 2. Heard a bit of this on the way home from a folk triple bill in Truro (Lau, Spiros and Siobhan Wilson)and was blown away by what I heard!

Godshaker compilation

John Martyn - Solid Air, Glorious Fool

Phil Manzenera - Diamond Head
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2611 posts

May 24, 2015, 16:45
Kenny Wheeler 'Songs for Quintet'
Paul Weller 'Saturns Pattern'
Gong 'I See You'
Renaissance 'Renaissance'
Nick Lowe 'At My Age'
Kiss 'Dressed To Kill'
Pink Floyd 'Obscured By Clouds'
Keith Jarrett 'Belonging'
Globe Unity Orchestra 'Intergalactic Blow'
Jean Jacques Burnel 'Euroman Cometh'
Wishbone Ash 'Elegant Stealth'
Sandy Denny 'Like An Old Fashioned Waltz'
Dvorak Symphony no.4 (Czech PO/Vaclav Neumann)
Fatalist
Fatalist
1123 posts

Edited May 25, 2015, 00:01
May 24, 2015, 21:31
New:

Urthona – Hearing Secret Harmonies. Thanks to CitizenSmurf for flagging this, anything describing itself as ‘heavy rural’ has to be worth a listen, and indeed it was. I don’t usually have too much time for improv/ambient/drone stuff, as there’s already more such releases on Bandcamp etc than there are stars in the galaxy, but this did have that special something – particular guitar tone, progressions etc

Mutoid Man – Bleeder. 80s/90s-inflected progish metal, some of which reminded me quite strongly of The Beyond: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbUbJNuJmLc, who were excellent, but nobody bought their records…

Landshapes – Heyoon. Another 80s/90s throwback, this time to Throwing Muses era 4AD – as such, it’s unsurprising they’re on Bella Union. Pretty cool, I may well have loved them 25 years ago: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Muno5h8WOWs

Liberez – All Tense Now Lax. Eek, experimental music ahoy, but again, harking back to an era when ‘experimental’ meant challenging, but not completely unlistenable. Scratchy strings Vs melodic piano, kind of arty industrial.

Ben Chatwin – The Sleeper Awakes. Soundtracky stuff, tasteful but not dull. Mogwai/Piano Magic fans will enjoy.

VA – Cherrystones: Critical Mass. Actual 80s stuff, of an obscure post-punk bent. Couple of tracks of particular interest – Rizzo (sounds as NY punk as you like, but actually ex-members of German group Jane): https://soundcloud.com/touchsensitiverecords/rizzo-i-dont-care and Chandra (super snotty vocal delivered by 12 year old, with hilarious/sinister lyrics): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HtP7sy8pWs

Archive:

Forest Swords – Engravings. Liked this a lot more on revisiting, first few tracks are especially excellent, like a dubby DJ Shadow, but the best is left til last: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7qbpFUabN0

Motorpsycho – The Death-Defying Unicorn. Also got more out of this on returning. Inevitably a bit sprawly, but there’s some fantastic Crimson-esque skronk in here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfXr8L-iA78

Black Sabbath – Sabotage / Technical Ecstasy / ‘Country Girl’. The transition from Sabotage to TE is fascinating in its own way, like a band suddenly and almost completely bottling it (though the signs were clearly there on the former). I’m pretty traditionalist in that Sabbath can only really be Sabbath with Ozzy, but ‘Country Girl’ with Dio does have a tremendous riff.

Radio 2 Prog prog with Tony Banks, who always reminds me of Prince Charles for some reason, coming over as he does like an aggrieved member of the Royal Family. Played a lot of ‘Supper’s Ready’ – still shit after all these years, and TB seems to conveniently forget that VDGG had already done a similarly interlinked song suite the previous year with ‘A Plague…’, which it goes without saying was also far superior.

Live:

Gwenno/Tender Prey – The Social, London. TP, who on album is essentially Laura Bryon, turned into a proper power trio live, and pretty rocking they were too. Gwenno did her Welsh space lady thing again, with added sarky commentary between songs. Have just discovered she used to be in the Pipettes, which meant nothing to me, but they apparently had a couple of minor hits a few years back.
garerama
garerama
1111 posts

May 24, 2015, 21:41
Black Sabbath - S/t

The Dave Brubeck Quartet - Time Out

Cocteau Twins - Treasure

John Coltrane - Giant Steps / Coltrane's Sound / Impressions / A Love Supreme / Ascension / Om / Expression

Miles Davies - A Kind of Blue / Sketches of Spain / Bitches Brew

Eric Dolphy - Outward Bound / Out There / Last Date

Joy Division - Unknown Pleasures

Astrud Gilerto - Jazz Masters 9

Incredible String Band - The Big Huge

Ustad Sultan Khan & Ustad Zakir Husain - Sur Taal

Charles Mingus - Pithecanthropus Erectus / The Clown / Mingus Ah Um / The Black saint & The Sinner Lady / Mingus x5

The Monkees - Missing Links 3 / Unsurpassed Masters 6

Michael Nyman - The Cook, The Thief, His Wife, Her Lover OST

Os Mutantes - Mutantes

Primal Scream - Screamadelica

Psychic TV - A Prayer For Derek Jarman

Alasdair Roberts - No Earthly Man

Pharoah Sanders - Jewels of Thought

Sequentia - Saints (Hildegard Von Bingen)

Sly & The Family Stone - Life / Stand

Bob Smith - The Visit

Throbbing Gristle - Heathen Earth

Trees -The Garden of Delawney / On The Shore

Trees Community - Christ Tree

Trembling Bells - Carbeth

The Unthanks - Bairns (Rachel Unthank & The Winterset) / Here's The Tender Coming

Van Der Graaf Generator - World Record

Jane Weaver - The SIiver Globe / The Amber Light

Wolf People - Steeple / Fain

Neil Young - Comes A Time

XTC - Go 2

Frank Zappa - Mothermania (Mothers of Invention) / Hot Rats

V/A
Beyond Saturn (Mojo)

Fairy Cakes For Tea

Psychedelic Brasil

Well ... All Right! (Mojo)

Wizards of Oz
keith a
9573 posts

May 24, 2015, 22:29
The Lexicon Of Love – ABC

Sometimes, Never – Akatombo

Push The Sky Away - Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds

To Where The Wild Things Are - Death & Vanilla

Enjoy The Silence (Mixes CDS) – Depeche Mode

The Soul Of The Hour – Gallon Drunk

Another Time Another Place – Bryan Ferry
Siren – Roxy Music
Flesh & Blood – Roxy Music
Avalon – Roxy Music

Let's Do It Again - Staple Singers

Greatest Hits – The Sweet

Everybody Wants To Shag... The Teardrop Explodes

Systems Of Romance – Ultravox

154 – Wire
S/T – Wire
flashbackcaruso
1056 posts

Edited May 24, 2015, 22:34
May 24, 2015, 22:34
Fairport Convention - Liege & Lief

Spirogyra - Bells, Boots & Shambles

Performance - OST

Del Shannon - Home & Away
Del Shannon - Drop Down & Get Me

Genesis - Selling England By The Pound

Popol Vuh - Sei Still, Wisse ICH BIN (had only played this once before and it hadn't really done much for me. Gave it another go, and was wondering why Florian Fricke had decided to do something so dirgey. Then as it got towards the end of the first side I hit the speed button to see if I preferred it at 45RPM. And suddenly it sounded like Popol Vuh rather than a poor man's Sunn O)))! Looked at the sleeve and it does say '45RPM Stereo'. Very odd. It's now up there with the classics, especially as it is pretty much a collaboration with members of Amon Düül II and Klaus Schulze, with a bloody great choir on top! Bits of it turned up again in the following...)
Popol Vuh - Fitzcarraldo OST (Popol Vuh mixed in with field recordings and flashbacks to Caruso. An odd mix, but a great movie).

Pink Floyd - Piper At The Gates Of Dawn
Pink Floyd - A Saucerful Of Secrets

Simple Minds - Empires & Dance
Simple Minds - Sons & Fascination
Simple Minds - Sister Feelings Call
Simple Minds - New Gold Dream (this is where Simple Minds just got better with each release. I generally find them less interesting from this point onwards, although they still had there moments).

Can - Future Days (Perhaps influenced by Cope's negative review of this album, it took me a long time to really appreciate it, but I love it now).

OMD - Sugar Tax

Amon Düül II - Tanz Der Lemminge (Such an odd, unfocused LP this, but it makes for an occasionally rewarding listen).

The Monkees - The Birds, The Bees & The Monkees
FifePsy
FifePsy
540 posts

May 24, 2015, 23:19
Been a while. Got password sorted:

Jim O'Rourke - Simple Songs

The Fall - Sub - Lingual Tablet

Pharoah Sanders - Jewels of Thought

Napalm Death - Apex Predator - Easy Meat

Grasscut - Everyone Was a Bird

Wishbone Ash - Live Dates

Kenny Wheeler - Gnu High

Steve Howe - Anthology

Don Cherry - Modern Art

Brian Lavelle - Prelapsarian

Robert Foster - The Evangelist

Can - Monster Movie, Tago Mago, Ege Bamyasi, Future Days

Ralph Towner - Solo Concert

Richard & Linda Thompson - I Want to See the Bright Lights Tonight
Monganaut
Monganaut
2375 posts

May 25, 2015, 04:11
Damn insomnia means I'm up at weird times of night at the mo, not done this for a while, so here goes....

The Liminanas - Down Undergroud - LP's 2009/2014
Super cheap album overview on 2 CD's or vinyl. Get everything but the most recent album by these superb French psych pop masters for the price of a single CD. Not a duff track on here. Had two albums already, but I couldn't buy the other two for the price of this release, outstanding!
If I feel a bit meh, these guys always cheer me up.
Longanisse - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGfWuR2Kf9U

Circle - Pharoah Overlord
Great slow-burn prog metal/post rock of a record from Finlands finest. Weird addition of digital horns and cheesy 80's keyboard stabs and noises give it an unfamiliar vibe for a Circle record, but it kinda works (well I think So).
Not heard the 'Pharoah Overlord - Circle' album yet, but on the strength of the Circle album, it should be a goody. Gig last week was best of the year so far, and don't expect it to be topped tbh (though looking forward to Mudhoney/Wolf People next week).
Lopetus (from my fav Circle record Alotus) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTBwoogZBO4 (this track has a guitar refrain in the backgroud that reminds me of some of those riffs from early Cope solo records).

The Holy Drug Couple - Moonlust
Was looking forward to this muchly after the storming last album 'Noctuary'. but on first spin, it's a bit of a let down. More keyboardy, lightweight, less drifty/Dark-sidey, sounds a bit like a bad MGMT album tbh. May have to lay off it for a few weeks till i'm in a different mind set.
If I Could Find You (Eternity) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVE19F70gMs

Nitzer Ebb - Belief
Probably my fav' 'Nitzer' album, the one I feel they stepped out of the shadow of D.A.F. and found their own voice/sound, influenced a little by dance culture of the time, and before the 'metal' guitar made an appearance and it all went a bit Ministry light. Running order of the first 5 tracks is impeccable.
Control I'm Here (album mix) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkV-K2z357w

Wire - Wire
Saw em' play Manchester a few weeks back, a weird, understated performance by the band, but enjoyable enough. Bought the CD at the gig but not played this till this week and enjoyed it immenseley. Not your typical Wire album (is there one?) it has quite a 'produced'sheen to it, but it's one that'll deffo get more plays than Object 47 or Red Barked Tree Did. Standout track for me is Harpooned....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEa__uIR-ts

Other stuff ...
Eno - Another Green World/ Tiger Mountain
Electrafixion - Burned
Hawkwind - excerpts from the 'This Is Your Captain' box. Singles CD is a blast.
Meat Beat Manifesto - Storm The Studio/ 99%
Ikara Colt - Basic Instruction EP
Neils Chldren - Change/Return/Success

Have a good week!
Pages: 3 – [ 1 2 3 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index