Topic View: Flat | Threaded
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6213 posts

Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 2 May 2015 CE
May 03, 2015, 20:07
Repeat plays this week for:

Frank Sinatra Songs For Swinging Lovers
Absolute classic Sinatra album, hardly a dud and some wonderful numbers (I've Got You Under My Skin is my favourite from it).

Come Fly With Me
A couple of years later, another great one. Essentially a concept travelogue album, via Paris, Mandalay, Brazil, etc concluding with the homecoming "It's Nice To Go Trav'ling" although the CD adds a few more, which kind of spoils the neatness of the idea.

Duke Ellington and John Coltrane - S/T
My quest to "get" jazz continues with this from the HMV bargain bin. I love Ellington's 1930s/40s sides, this is from 1962 and sees him working with the hottest talent of the day. Repeat plays and I'm beginning to see the light, but it takes more work than I might like. Same goes for:

The John Coltrane Quartette - Coltrane
Again, repeat plays make this enjoyable, but I'm not sure it'll ever really by my perfect listen. The version of "The Inchworm" is ace though.

The Durutti Column/Kevin Hewick/Blurt/The Royal Family and The Poor A Factory Quartet double LP. Early showcase of Factory acts.

John Foxx - DNA
Excellent all-instrumental album (and DVD) from 2010. Really good synth, reminiscent of Human League's "Dignity of Labour" EP or the more propulsive end of Jean-Michel Jarre's early stuff. With some warm ambient tracks for contrast.

Otherwise:

Mozart - Five Divertimentos
Schubert - Symphony No. 9 (The Great)
Mendelssohn - String Quartets
Elgar - String Quartet in E Minor; Piano Quintet in A Minor
Rodrigo - Concierto de Aranjuez

Duke Ellington - The Real ...
V/A - Beg Borrow or Steal

The The - Soul Mining
The The - Infected
The The - Mind Bomb

Blur - "Bang" EP