Charlie Watts Jim Keltner Project
Feist - Look At What The Light Did Now
PFM - Paper Charms-The Complete BBC Recordings 1974-1976
Todd Rundgren At The BBC 1972-1982
Santana III Legacy Edition
Nina Simone - Sings The Blues

Rolling Stones - 1976 UK Tour Documentary
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IgJQ5B-vPIg
Funny thing about watching this and the Rod show from the same year is that despite being pilloried at the time for selling out, Rod's far and away the more expressive singer (Jagger just drawls his way through the songs in a kind mockney Texan drawl). The recent live box set also attests to the fact that Rod was turning in performances far truer to the spirit of The Faces than the Stones were to their own heritage at that time. Drummers aside he had the more on-it band too. Harem pants not withstanding there is a lack of cynicism in the Rod show that I really like despite (or possibly even because of) the reggae Maggie May outro and the disco-fied Losing You. By comparison the Stones performances and the Jagger and Richards interviews are cringe worthy. The 75 concert film shows them already on the skids but still just about stands up because the material is so strong and Ronnie Wood is so great on it. Would surprise no one to learn that the band's drop off in performance levels between 73 and 76 was most likely down to drug use. Benefit of hindsight and all that but I can't believe I ever thought that Keith or Perrett or Thunders were cool in their hazy incoherence.

Unsung Forum Index