Wicked Lady - The Axeman Cometh

Wicked Lady - Psychotic Overkill

The Electric Banana - Blows Your Mind

Aglaia - Three Organic Experiences

Marsen Jules - Herbstlaub

Milla - The Divine Comedy

Mind Doctors - On The Threshold of Reality

Tomorrow - st

Florian Fricke / Popol Vuh - Kailash (disc 1)

Father John Misty - I Love You Honey Bear

Duke Elllington - The Centennial Collection (disc 1)
flashbackcaruso
1054 posts

Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 2 May 2015 CE
May 03, 2015, 11:45
Fairport Convention - Fairport Convention

Genesis - Trespass

Popol Vuh - Einsjäger und Siebenjäger

Michael Rother - Sterntaler

Can - Tago Mago
Can - Ege Bamyasi

Michael Chapman - Window

Cluster - Cluster
Cluster - Cluster 2

Pentangle - Cruel Sister

Friends – Fragile
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited May 04, 2015, 11:46
May 03, 2015, 12:01
Grateful Dead - So Many Roads
Blondie - Parallel Lines (Remastered)
Me'Shell Ndegeocello - Comet, Come To Me
The Faces - Final Concert Kilburn State Theatre
Rod Stewart - Olympia 24.12.76
The Faces - Swing in, The Faces live at The Marquee
Charlie Watts Jim Keltner Project
Feist - Look At What The Light Did Now
PFM - Paper Charms-The Complete BBC Recordings 1974-1976
Todd Rundgren At The BBC 1972-1982
Santana III Legacy Edition
Nina Simone - Sings The Blues

Rolling Stones - 1976 UK Tour Documentary
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IgJQ5B-vPIg
Funny thing about watching this and the Rod show from the same year is that despite being pilloried at the time for selling out, Rod's far and away the more expressive singer (Jagger just drawls his way through the songs in a kind mockney Texan drawl). The recent live box set also attests to the fact that Rod was turning in performances far truer to the spirit of The Faces than the Stones were to their own heritage at that time. Drummers aside he had the more on-it band too. Harem pants not withstanding there is a lack of cynicism in the Rod show that I really like despite (or possibly even because of) the reggae Maggie May outro and the disco-fied Losing You. By comparison the Stones performances and the Jagger and Richards interviews are cringe worthy. The 75 concert film shows them already on the skids but still just about stands up because the material is so strong and Ronnie Wood is so great on it. Would surprise no one to learn that the band's drop off in performance levels between 73 and 76 was most likely down to drug use. Benefit of hindsight and all that but I can't believe I ever thought that Keith or Perrett or Thunders were cool in their hazy incoherence.
jb lamptoast-morsley
jb lamptoast-morsley
2447 posts

May 03, 2015, 16:10
Amadou & Miriam - Dimanche a Bamako. A rather jolly affair

Mary Hampton, Diamond Family Archive and 30 pounds of Bone @ Falmouth Uni 25.4.15

Gnod - Infinity Machines. Don't how I've missed this lot - this being the first album I have heard. As good as people make out round these 'ere parts. Wasn't so keen on the White Hills one though

Paul Smith & Peter Brewis - Frozen by Sight. Reminiscent of Penguin Cafe Orchestra I thought. Quite enjoyable for it too

Rozi Plain session for Marc Riley. New album shaping up to be her best yet methinks

Sarah Lowes - Marc Riley sessions

Lilacs & Champagne - S/T
bauheed
bauheed
895 posts

Edited May 03, 2015, 19:34
May 03, 2015, 18:19
Hawkwind - Greasy Truckers Party; The 1999 Party (This is Your Captain Speaking Box)

Blown Out - Jet Black Hallucinations

Bobbie Gentry - Best of..

Gnod - Infinity Machines

Acoustika - A Letter to my Rose EP; Acoustika EP

Mull Historical Society - Us; Loss

Elvis Presley - Elv1s: 30 #1 Hits

Far East Family Band - The Cave Down to Earth; Nipponjin

Far Out - Nihonjin

Foodbrain - Social Gathering

The Mothers Of Invention - Freak Out

Emperor - Anthems To The Welkin At Dusk; In the Nightside Eclipse; Emperor EP; Reverence EP

Watain - Casus Luciferi

Burzum - Aske

Xarkrinur - Dark Rituals (Black Metal from Bangladesh!?, was it recommended by someone on here?, can't recall)

Darkthrone - The Frostland Tapes

Radio Fenriz Podcast No.1 - Available here if anyone is interested https://soundcloud.com/heavytassen/radio-fenriz-1

Om / Current 93 split - Inerrant Rays of Infallible Sun (Blackship Shrinebuilder )

David Bowie - Diamond Dogs; The Next Day (Bonus EP); Pin-Ups; Scary Monsters (and Super Creeps)

Tangerine Dream - Zeit

Neon Sardinia - S'akkabadòra-Hèmina

AC/DC - If You Want Blood You've Got It

Marduk - Fuck Me, Jesus

Acid Mothers Temple & The Melting Paraiso U.F.O. - Acid Motherly Love

Moebius & Plank - Rastakraut Pasta (1980) + Material (1981)

Nick Cave - The Boatman's Call; Let Love In

Wolves in the Throne Room - Celestial Lineage
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Edited May 03, 2015, 19:48
May 03, 2015, 19:46
White Hills - Walks for Motorists
Goat - Commune
Steve Hackett - Wolflight
Gong - Expresso II
Jethro Tull - This Was / Benefit
Hawkwind - Warrior on the Edge of Time
Beatrix Players - Words in Lemon Juice

And from the library,

Blues Pills - ST. Like this a lot. (Yet More) Retro blues/psyche rock from Sweden with a fab, female singer who sonically recalls the fab Inga Rumpf from Frumpy. The music isn't a million miles away from Frumpsville either, albeit with more modern riffage attached.

Johnny Marr - The Messenger. Solo album and nice it is too. Rockier in parts than some might expect with some great melodies as you might expect. He's a capable vocalist too, though it's weird that on the rockier stuff he sounds a bit like Ace Frehely! Strange that they're both lead guitarists gone solo of iconic (if extremely different!) four piece bands. Not heard the most recent album, but I like this.

Wilko Johnson/Roger Daltrey - Going Back Home. Musically, this is great, but it's, to my ears, hampered by Daltrey delivering more or less every song as if he's trying to squeeze out a huge, concrete turd. I know Daltrey has the rnb/mod credentials, but I wish Wilko had given Paul Rodgers or someone a call. I like it, but I wince a lot listening to it.

Have a nice week x
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6210 posts

May 03, 2015, 20:07
Repeat plays this week for:

Frank Sinatra Songs For Swinging Lovers
Absolute classic Sinatra album, hardly a dud and some wonderful numbers (I've Got You Under My Skin is my favourite from it).

Come Fly With Me
A couple of years later, another great one. Essentially a concept travelogue album, via Paris, Mandalay, Brazil, etc concluding with the homecoming "It's Nice To Go Trav'ling" although the CD adds a few more, which kind of spoils the neatness of the idea.

Duke Ellington and John Coltrane - S/T
My quest to "get" jazz continues with this from the HMV bargain bin. I love Ellington's 1930s/40s sides, this is from 1962 and sees him working with the hottest talent of the day. Repeat plays and I'm beginning to see the light, but it takes more work than I might like. Same goes for:

The John Coltrane Quartette - Coltrane
Again, repeat plays make this enjoyable, but I'm not sure it'll ever really by my perfect listen. The version of "The Inchworm" is ace though.

The Durutti Column/Kevin Hewick/Blurt/The Royal Family and The Poor A Factory Quartet double LP. Early showcase of Factory acts.

John Foxx - DNA
Excellent all-instrumental album (and DVD) from 2010. Really good synth, reminiscent of Human League's "Dignity of Labour" EP or the more propulsive end of Jean-Michel Jarre's early stuff. With some warm ambient tracks for contrast.

Otherwise:

Mozart - Five Divertimentos
Schubert - Symphony No. 9 (The Great)
Mendelssohn - String Quartets
Elgar - String Quartet in E Minor; Piano Quintet in A Minor
Rodrigo - Concierto de Aranjuez

Duke Ellington - The Real ...
V/A - Beg Borrow or Steal

The The - Soul Mining
The The - Infected
The The - Mind Bomb

Blur - "Bang" EP

Big Noble - First Light
garerama
garerama
1110 posts

Edited May 03, 2015, 22:34
May 03, 2015, 22:33
Amon Duul II - Tanz Der Lemmings / Hijack

The Ant Ceremony - 24 Hours

Broadcast - Future Canyon

Kate Bush - The Dreaming / Hounds of Love / The Sensual World / Director's Cut

Alice Coltrane - Ptah The El Daoud / Journey In Satchidanda / Transfiguration

John Coltrane - Live At Birdland / Crescent / A Love Supreme (deluxe 2 cd) / The John Coltrane Quartet Plays / Kulu Se Mama / Expression / Living Space

Miles Davis - Kind of Blue / Sketches of Spain / Bitches Brew

Goat - Live Ballroom Ritual

The Grateful Dead - Blues For Allah

Husker Du - Zen Arcade

Jethro Tulls - Songs From The Wood

Michael Nyman - The Cook, The Thief, His Wife, Her Lover (OST)

The Pretty Things - Emotions / Singles As & Bs

Psychic TV - Live In Astoria

Spacemen 3 - Playing With Fire (2 cd)

Spirogyra - Old Boot Wine / Bells, Boots & Shambles / Burning Bridges

Sun Ra - Space Is The Place

Tubeway Army - Replicas

The Unthanks - S/t

Vetiver - S/t / To Find Me Gone

Voice of Seven Woods - S/t

Wicker Man OST / Willow's Songs

Robert Wyatt - End of An Ear / EPs / Peel Sessions
Fatalist
Fatalist
1123 posts

May 03, 2015, 23:34
New:

Dommengang – Everybody’s Boogie. Another band from a US alt indie background having a go at rehabilitating 70s blues rock. Doesn’t completely come off, but has its moments: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUCPEzL1NqE

Automat – Plusminus. Germans. Dub + techno. As you’d imagine. Decent background music.

Van Der Graaf Generator – After The Flood. Marvellous. What we think of as prog rock is just a pale imitation of the blueprint that VDGG came up with circa 1970 before moving on – discuss.

Jackson Scott – Sunshine Redux. This may be better than I thought ;-) Tame Impala/Ty Segall fans should definitely investigate.

Random access:

Movietone – Day and Night. So, this was the album that The Drink (from last week) kept reminding me of, albeit a double speed version. Fragile post-rock/jazz from the same Bristol scene that begat (the overrated) Flying Saucer Attack and (verging on genius) Third Eye Foundation. Fans of Broadcast should most definitely cock an ear: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEBduIaMpb8

Steven Wilson – The Raven That Refused To Sing. The first half of this is actually pretty great in a history-of-prog-for-beginners way, but then it becomes a bit too tasteful for me, much like his Hand Cannot Erase from this year, which I’m afraid I gave up on after one listen.

My Bloody Valentine – EPs 88-91. Incredible how they went from spindly post-hardcore wannabes to avant classical behemoths over the course of the four EPs here. Brought back many memories. This really reminds me of Eno’s ‘Needles In The Camel’s Eye’ for some reason: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qC35UJSXlI

Video clip of the week:

ILL – ‘Cock In My Pocket’. Well, this certainly stuck in my head… https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYXR51MDlp8
Maldoror
Maldoror
720 posts

May 04, 2015, 05:32
In the Sign of Evil, Obsessed By Cruelty and Persecution Mania - Sodom

Stellar Regions - John Coltrane

Esoteric Warfare and Ordo Ad Chao - Mayhem

Aion of Drakon - Satvrnalia Temple

Arte dei Rumori - Lvigi Rvssolo

Saturn Sings - Mary Halvorson Quintet
Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic