Topic View: Flat | Threaded
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Apr 28, 2015, 10:20
Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 25 April 2015 CE
Apr 27, 2015, 18:07
Ahmad Zahir - Aye Nam Ghumat Taranae Man
This tune showed up in a key scene in Adam Curtis' "Bitter Lake". Lovely tune. Would like to explore further but there are simply too many records to go prospecting.

Boulez / Berlin Phil et al - Bartok Piano Concertos
Highly recommend the central slow movements of #2 and #3 to anyone who is unfamiliar with the composer or like me likes music that stands time still.

Steve Hackett - Wolflight
As Mooncat points out this is a record of fabulous excesses. He can't sing but I don't care.

Marillion - Early Stages: The Highlights
Love this stuff. In his pomp Fish was a great front man up there with Lynott and co. Worth the price of admission for the way he sings the word "lager" alone. You don't get that on a Genesis record!

Anna Netrebko: Rachmaninov "O ne rydai, mai Paolo"
Heard this on a promo video for Brussels' La Monnaie theatre. I must have played that clip thirty times on the spin. Just gorgeous.

Camel - Snow Goose (deluxe)
Speaking of people who can't sing. I got this for the two live BBC versions - one complete and one a medley of tunes from the album. I saw them on that tour at the New London Theatre without an orchestra or gubbins and the Snow Goose section was the least interesting part. Sounds much better that I remember in these recordings even if it basically consists of some Animals-esque Floyd vamps and Caravan off-cuts jammed together. The studio version is still pretty anodyne.

Kate Bush - Lionheart
Kate Bush - Never For Ever
Floyd - Is There Anybody Out There? - The Wall Live 1980-81
Fripp - Wine of Silence
Carlo Bergonzi - Italian Songs
von Karajan / Berlin Phil - Verdi: Overtures & Preludes
Blondie - Rapture (special disco mix)
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index