Kate Bush - Aerial
Kate Bush - Director's Cut

Witch Hazel - Landlocked
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6214 posts

Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 25 April 2015 CE
Apr 26, 2015, 13:11
Hardly any music listened to this week, been outdoors a lot.

But I have listened to Lonelady's new album Hinterland a lot. Really liking this, the overall sound recalls very early (81-82) New Order, nice echo on crisp beats, crystalline synth lines and propulsive guitar. In places it recalls ACR, Talking Heads and the spindly guitar of the Bauhaus of "Terror Couple Kill Colonel". Really good.

Otherwise:

The Lowland Hundred - Under Cambrian Skies
Perfect soundtrack to a week on the Ceredigion coast.
jb lamptoast-morsley
jb lamptoast-morsley
2447 posts

Apr 26, 2015, 15:18
Kula Shaker - Pigs Peasants and Astronauts

Jamiroquai - Return of the Space Cowboy

Damien Jurado - Ghost of David. Listened to a few DJ albums, but none have been as enjoyable as this one. Having a female vocalist and bits of piano help it along.

Kosmicheboy - Clockwerk. Great 'blockrocking' big beats.

Faith No More - Angel Dust. It would appear that I'm in a minority here as to not particularly rating it. It is not awful, but I have no strong attachment towards it.

Young Fathers - White men are black men too. Not bad on first listen

This is the Kit - Bashed out
riverman
riverman
845 posts

Apr 26, 2015, 19:57
(Relatively) new stuff:

Gnod - Infinity Machines: Just gets better and better with more listens. Magnificent.
Gnod - Gestalt: Lovely, live recorded drone.
Aufklarung - Zeit der Aufklarung: Mainly guitar and piano lo-fi recording in a Yorkshire church. Popul Vuh-like. Gorgeous. By coincidence it features AP Macarte also on the Gnod Gestalt cd.
Watch Repair - The Tidal Path: Mainly ambient acoustic guitar ramblings. Lovely and beautifully DIY packaged CD-R.
Inutili - Music to Watch the Clouds on a Sunny Day. Two lo-fi psych jams, recording quality on a par with Les Ralizes Denudes. Result.
The Necks - Atheneaum: Just lovely - yes there are three other live disks in the box set but can't get beyond this at the moment.

From the archives:

Pylar - Poderoso Se Alza en My. Ritual metal perhaps, trying to think of how to describe it? One of my favourite releases from a couple of years ago. Absolutely love it, but lots of weird chanting in Spanish so not sure I'd recommend it to everybody. But for fans of ritual, drone weirdness and Orthodox (this is an offshoot) it's a must. Listened to in celebration of news of the follow up and Orthodox playing in London (not seen them live yet).
Bong - Mana Yood Sushai: Again another listen at news of a new album in late May.
Julian Cope - Revolutionary Suicide. Listened to in response to the generally negative thread about his recent work. As it happened, it was the anniversary of the Armenian Genocide too. I find it interesting that the best comments I've read about this track were from an Armenian film maker. I can totally understand why people may not like Cope's recent work (a 15 minute repetitive dirge about an atrocity is not likely to be everyone's cup of tea) but to suggest somehow his heart isn't in it is absurd.

Can't think of anything else...
machineryelf
3681 posts

Edited Apr 26, 2015, 20:19
Apr 26, 2015, 20:07
Wire live in Hebden Bridge Friday night passing through so decided to see Wire.good choice amazingly good live picked up a copy of the latest cd which sounds completely different but equally good also got a copy of the Scottish Play which I haven't had a chance to listen to yet

Marc Almond live in Manchester Saturday night another great night out. His new songs sound like some of his best. The show featured a fine selection of new and old with the right level of obvious to obscure and he is in fine voice.Pink Fairies tonight in Newcastle I'm a busy bee

Listening to
Young Fathers Dead & Black Men Too
Wishbone Ash Live Dates I & II
Tim Buckley greatest hits
Spear of Destiny 131
New Model Army Between Iron & Wine live
Japan Live
White Hills Walks With Motorists
Cult Love
V/A Columbia Records story of the blues
Cranium Pie Mechanisms 2
Kate Bush live Hammersmith & 50 Words For Snow
Kid Calamity
9045 posts

Apr 26, 2015, 20:29
Colleen: 'Captain Of None' - A contender for the best album of the year. Already. Title track: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBBDQapsts0

Holly Herndon: 'Home' Here's an example http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_3mCDJ_iWc

School Of Seven Bells: Alpinisms

Secret Machines: 'Now Here Is Nowhere'

Black Tempest: 'Darkness...' The black hit of space.

T.REX: 'The Slider' Evergreen.

VA: Mojo cover mounted CD 'Physical Graffiti Redrawn. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hANyQxJFaF0#t=51
the version of Kashmir by Songhoy Blues is truly something to behold.

Kruder & Dorfmeister: The K&D Sessions

The Neil Cowley Trio; 'Displaced'
garerama
garerama
1111 posts

Edited Apr 26, 2015, 20:55
Apr 26, 2015, 20:54
Acid Mothers Temple - Starless & Bible Black Sabbath

The Beatles - Anthology 3

Black Nerdo - The Psych Funk of ...

Bonnie "Prince" Billy - Is It The Sea?

Tim Buckley - Peel Sessions

John Coltrane - Live At Birdland / Spiritual (live)

Miles Davis - Kind of Blue

The Doors - Strange Days / Waiting For The Sun

Edward's Hand - S/t / Stranded

The Electric Prunes - I Had Too Much To Dream Last Night

The End - Introspection

The Grateful Dead - S/t (debut)

Improved Sound Ltd - S/t

Kaleidoscope/ Fairfield Parlour - From Home To Home / Please Listen To The Pictures

Timothy Leary - Turn On, Tune In, Drop Out / Beyond Life

Malachi - Holy Music

Peanut Butter Conspiracy - The Peanut Butter Conspiracy Is Spreading / The Great Conspiracy / Children Of All Ages

Pearls Before Swine - These Things Too / Use of Ashes

Pere Ubu - Dub Housing

The Petards - Petarto

Roger Rodier - Upon Relveater

Rolling Stones - Unsurpassed Masters Vol 2

Pharoah Sanders - Jewels of Thought / Anthology

Smoke Fairies - Through The Low Light & Trees

Sun Ra - Space Is The Place

Talk Talk - Spirit of Eden / Laughing Stock

The Turtles - Greatest Hits

23 Skidoo - The Culling Is Coming

Twink - Think Pink

Van Der Graaf Generator - The Least We Could Do Is Wave To Each Other / He To He Wh Am The Only One

The Watersons - Early Days

Jane Weaver - The Amber Light

Weird Owl - Nuclear Psychology

XTC - Skylarking / Fossil Fuel

V/A -

Amorphous Androgynous: A Monstrous Psychedelic Bubble Exploding In Your Mind - The Wizards of Oz

Epitath For A Legend

Mindexpanders Vol 4 - 5

Terra Serpentes
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8763 posts

Apr 26, 2015, 21:42
riverman wrote:
(Relatively) new stuff:

Gnod - Infinity Machines: Just gets better and better with more listens. Magnificent.
Gnod - Gestalt: Lovely, live recorded drone.
Aufklarung - Zeit der Aufklarung: Mainly guitar and piano lo-fi recording in a Yorkshire church. Popul Vuh-like. Gorgeous. By coincidence it features AP Macarte also on the Gnod Gestalt cd.
Watch Repair - The Tidal Path: Mainly ambient acoustic guitar ramblings. Lovely and beautifully DIY packaged CD-R.
Inutili - Music to Watch the Clouds on a Sunny Day. Two lo-fi psych jams, recording quality on a par with Les Ralizes Denudes. Result.
The Necks - Atheneaum: Just lovely - yes there are three other live disks in the box set but can't get beyond this at the moment.

From the archives:

Pylar - Poderoso Se Alza en My. Ritual metal perhaps, trying to think of how to describe it? One of my favourite releases from a couple of years ago. Absolutely love it, but lots of weird chanting in Spanish so not sure I'd recommend it to everybody. But for fans of ritual, drone weirdness and Orthodox (this is an offshoot) it's a must. Listened to in celebration of news of the follow up and Orthodox playing in London (not seen them live yet).
Bong - Mana Yood Sushai: Again another listen at news of a new album in late May.
Julian Cope - Revolutionary Suicide. Listened to in response to the generally negative thread about his recent work. As it happened, it was the anniversary of the Armenian Genocide too. I find it interesting that the best comments I've read about this track were from an Armenian film maker. I can totally understand why people may not like Cope's recent work (a 15 minute repetitive dirge about an atrocity is not likely to be everyone's cup of tea) but to suggest somehow his heart isn't in it is absurd.

Can't think of anything else...

I've been enjoying Revolutionary Suicide this week too. Much better than I remembered.
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8763 posts

Apr 26, 2015, 21:51
The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan
Porcupine Tree - Deadwing
Yes - Going For The One
Steve Hackett - Wolflight
The Enid - In The Region of Summer Stars

Jethro Tull - Broadsword and the Beast
Really enjoyed this, I wasn't that impressed with it when I heard it before.

White Hills - Walks For Motorists
This is SOOO good. Possibly their best album, and I love everything they've done. Bloody brilliant.

Vinyl:

11 Paranoias - Stealing Fire From Heaven
Cranium Pie - Mechanisms Part II
The Heads - Nobody Knows

Gnod - Infinity Machines
I agree with Riverman, this is a total cracker.

Electric Wizard - Time To Die
Heavy, riffin and a stormer.
Pages: 3 – [ 1 2 3 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index