43 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
billding68
billding68
1016 posts

Re: Are they better than the Beatles?
Apr 27, 2015, 03:01
Sin Agog wrote:
Honey Pie's a typical Paul grandma tune, but Wild Honey Pie is a great minute of music. I think The Beatles may be partially responsible for so many old rock albums having at least one flaky faux-country/blues song, but Wild Honey Pie, despite sounding nothing like most of them, seems pretty close to the spirit of "old, weird America", as documented on Folkways' Anthology of American Folk Music. Most of the backwards-looking stuff they put out was pretty low-tier Beatles. I still find the early simple stuff my favourite, though. Bit like with Woody Allen.

By the way, much as I dig 'em, there are a ton of releases I'd put above The Beatles- personal discoveries and the like. It seems a dangerous thing to put yourself in the Billboard/Rolling Stone/NME top albums ever mindset- factoring how much of a cultural phenomenon a band was into how much you like them. Play the jams you dig and don't sweat that shit.

Agreed I always preferred the earlier Beatles (much like Hermans hermits and dave clark 5) to the latter stuff Maybe because when I first heard it the message was already lost. Vietnam was over etc... while the older stuff wasn't held to a certain time period.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index