Pages: 5 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
billding68
billding68
1016 posts

Are they better than the Beatles?
Apr 24, 2015, 00:21
XTC better then the Beatles?

I'd say yes overall they were far more consistent. Nary a clunker in the XTC catalog though the Beatles latter releases (for me) kind of lost the plot.(let it be,abby road and the white album) sure there were some really great tunes buried in there but there was also Ob la Di, ob la da,dig a pony,and mean mr mustard. While XTC was absolutely inspired by the beatles my personal opinion is they did it better.
Sin Agog
Sin Agog
2253 posts

Re: Are they better than the Beatles?
Apr 24, 2015, 00:30
The Beatles were my first musical love- I mean literally knowing every single lyric, including such smash hits as Three Cool Cats and Baby's In Black, before I turned ten- but sometimes when I listen to them I do feel we (I) fill in the sonic gaps with a whole lotta other non-musical baggage. I like Andy Partridge's philosophy about "making even the most throwaway bridge sound like an anthemic chorus". I haven't listened to XTC in yonks, though. Would have to spend a few days replaying their discog to reliably answer. Might do that... I do feel the [rockist?] viewpoint that rock and/or roll music peaked with The Beatles a bit of a downer to contemplate.

course ain't nothin better than nothin cause it's all just notes n shit innit
Markoid
Markoid
1621 posts

Edited Apr 24, 2015, 01:46
Apr 24, 2015, 01:45
Nope! I would suggest Suggest Squeeze though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAY9Vyo0g0A
Markoid
Markoid
1621 posts

Apr 24, 2015, 01:48
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXIU29TSuPw
billding68
billding68
1016 posts

Apr 24, 2015, 01:51
Sin Agog wrote:
The Beatles were my first musical love- I mean literally knowing every single lyric, including such smash hits as Three Cool Cats and Baby's In Black, before I turned ten- but sometimes when I listen to them I do feel we (I) fill in the sonic gaps with a whole lotta other non-musical baggage. I like Andy Partridge's philosophy about "making even the most throwaway bridge sound like an anthemic chorus". I haven't listened to XTC in yonks, though. Would have to spend a few days replaying their discog to reliably answer. Might do that... I do feel the [rockist?] viewpoint that rock and/or roll music peaked with The Beatles a bit of a downer to contemplate.

course ain't nothin better than nothin cause it's all just notes n shit innit

I grew up playing the tennis racket to the beatles, I know what you mean by filling in the blanks though. Always regarded them as the best of the genre but after listening to a lot of xtc lately I gotta say HANDS DOWN better song writers.
Maldoror
Maldoror
720 posts

Apr 24, 2015, 03:27
I guess there's a LOT of bands better than the Beatles.
Markoid
Markoid
1621 posts

Apr 24, 2015, 03:30
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=squeeze+is+this+love+live
billding68
billding68
1016 posts

Edited Apr 24, 2015, 06:03
Apr 24, 2015, 05:35
Maldoror wrote:

I guess there's a LOT of bands better than the Beatles.

I agree but most of us are raised with the beatles music to the point its ingrained into our brains at an early age.
Markoid
Markoid
1621 posts

Apr 24, 2015, 08:38
I like The Beatles, but these are up there with anybodys songs.

Squeeze - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuJ1AefhWzE
Hunter T Wolfe
Hunter T Wolfe
1707 posts

Apr 24, 2015, 10:37
I guess the point is with the Beatles is that they were ground-breaking in their time and pretty much invented late twentieth century pop music. It's natural that other artists should refine, improve on, or completely break away from what they've done, and that better 'Beatles-style' records should be made (e.g. by XTC) or indeed that breaking away from 'Beatles-style' records and doing something different should be seen as desirable too- in that case, the Fall are better than the Beatles by not sounding anything like the Beatles. So yes, the Beatles may have been bettered, but that shouldn't take away from their huge achievements in their day which are impossible to match in their wider social, cultural, musicological impact.
Pages: 5 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index