43 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
garerama
garerama
1111 posts

Edited Apr 26, 2015, 21:24
Re: Are they better than the Beatles?
Apr 26, 2015, 21:23
Without a doubt i rate XTC up there with the Beatles - certainly both are in this musos top 5 with The Beatles being a constant for 25 years. But better I don't know - if it wasn't for the Beatles etc ...

XTC in my opinion were vastly underrated and ignored and have not had a bum album. Even Andy Partridge's Fuzzy Warbles series - lots of warts in there I could listen to without skipping a track. Whereas there is no Beatles album that I can listen to without wanting skip through a track or two(for me a lot of the Ringo songs and some of the really twee McCartneys). i would say that "Let It Be" is probably one of the worst albums of the late 60s and that Laibach did a better job (not to mention the original Glynn Jone's Get Back).

XTC are one of the few bands who matured and improved with age. Apple Venus being there zenith. That album is there with Skylarking in "every home should have them" And talking of Squeeze they are in the XTC story - I think it was Glenn Tilbrook who ran off with the tapes for Apple Venus (he produced the first version). Partridge is a triffle cheesed off to say the least.

Finally, XTC did make the two best psychedelic albums ever under the Dukes of Stratospear guise too.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index