1016 posts

Re: Are they better than the Beatles?
Apr 26, 2015, 20:51
carol27 wrote:
billding68 wrote:
Astralcat wrote:
billding68 wrote:
XTC better then the Beatles?

I'd say yes overall they were far more consistent. Nary a clunker in the XTC catalog though the Beatles latter releases (for me) kind of lost the plot.(let it be,abby road and the white album) sure there were some really great tunes buried in there but there was also Ob la Di, ob la da,dig a pony,and mean mr mustard. While XTC was absolutely inspired by the beatles my personal opinion is they did it better.

The White Album is a grimoire of Headness. A beautiful tapestry of spooky/pop/rock/folk/experimental weirdness that all makes sense and hangs together like spending some time in your favourite musty glorious Head attic. It HAS to be listened to in one sitting though. Set and setting. It weaves itself. Their finest achievemnent.

I don't agree I think the white album or at least 90percent of it is total shit. sorry

The White Album shit - what! I knew all the Beatles hits growing up ( mother was more of a Stones fan though); but discovering them in detail later in my life has been a wonderful revelation, particularly Lennon. They way transcend most music since, even my beloved punk. I also, however adore XTC, who are way underrated & unrecognized, something that may be to do with Mr Partridges obvious reticence to promote & play. And the Fall, well, - genius at work. But, really I still think the Fab Four trump it, if only for completely revolutionizing music as we know it Jim.

honestly I think you need remove nostalgia from the equation which is difficult to do(even for me) is Honey pie a great song? is glass onion or the previously mentioned ob la di a truly great song? Not in my world...Black bird and dear prudence are very very nice but for the most part the album is kinda..well..shit
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index