Near perfect Albums

Pages: 5 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
billding68
billding68
1016 posts

Near perfect Albums
Mar 21, 2015, 01:02
was just thinking about what albums are so near perfect that you just cant imagine how they could be better not thinking in terms of musicality per se but just the overall package and its impact on you.

Rush- a farewell to kings
This is just so damn good from the production to the musicianship. if your not that familiar with Rush but like longer prog type music this is the Rush album for you!
Nina hagen- nunsexmonkrock
The only thing that could make this better would be a total immersion version but I don't know if any additional tracks exist.by far her best album
Brian Eno/David Byrne-my life in the bush of ghosts
To call this ahead of its time is an understatement. they did things on this album that would still be hard to replicate.
Spk- Leichenschrei
You think the Swans are intense? this is the most painful,brutal slab of utter despair ive ever heard. it aint pretty but it does what it sets out to do perfectly.
Gary Numan-Pure
Sure its not "classic" numan. Its not Telekon its something far more interesting its an album about love,loss,God and satan and everything inbetween.
B52's- Whammy!
This was go to party music for the 80's. Beer never tasted as sweet again.
Daft Punk-Random access memories
This is a horrible daft punk album but its a great album nonetheless.
Ween-The Mollusk
They peaked with this album Mutilated Lips should be on every Ipod everywhere!
Markoid
Markoid
1621 posts

Edited Mar 21, 2015, 01:30
Re: Near perfect Albums
Mar 21, 2015, 01:29
The Jam -Setting Sons

Not near - perfect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1z6RLC2tekc
Deepinder Cheema
Deepinder Cheema
1972 posts

Mar 21, 2015, 01:37
Some of the compilation LPs of the early 1970's

Nice enough to eat

Dawn takeaway concert ( inc Comus, Trio, Demon Fuzz are partic faves)
Vybik Jon
Vybik Jon
7718 posts

Mar 21, 2015, 03:38
The Beat - I Just Can't Stop It
Sugar - Copper Blue
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2612 posts

Mar 21, 2015, 10:14
Dunno about near perfect, but there are a few albums which I wouldn't change a thing with. They are

Robert Wyatt 'Rock Bottom'
David Bowie 'Ziggy Stardust'
Kevin Ayers 'Joy Of A Toy'
Caravan 'In The Land Of Grey And Pink'
Cat Stevens 'Mona Bone Jakon'
The Zombies 'Oddessy And Oracle'
Deep Purple 'Made In Japan'
Richard Thompson 'Mock Tudor'

There are many more that might qualify as "near perfect" for me as I love everything bar maybe one track - 'Revolver' is an obvious example (and no prizes for guessing the one track I don't care for on THAT) - but the eight I've listed above deliver on every level without any compromise. The saddest thing for me is that only one of them is less than 40 years old.
spencer
spencer
3071 posts

Mar 21, 2015, 15:18
Talk Talk - Laughing Stock (Spirit of Eden IS perfect)
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Mar 21, 2015, 16:55
Mar 21, 2015, 16:52
Most of my favourite artists are/were habitual over-reachers so flaws are something of a given but if I had to pick out one pop/rock record as un-improvable it would be "For Your Pleasure".
caldervalium
caldervalium
516 posts

Mar 21, 2015, 18:31
As opposed to 'perfect' albums such as Trout Mask, Piper, Forever Changes, etc.? Interesting point... do you mean otherwise perfect albums ruined by a clunker or two?
billding68
billding68
1016 posts

Mar 21, 2015, 18:48
caldervalium wrote:
As opposed to 'perfect' albums such as Trout Mask, Piper, Forever Changes, etc.? Interesting point... do you mean otherwise perfect albums ruined by a clunker or two?

I don't think anything is 100% perfect in the universe..that said somethings come darn close. Trout mask is an example of near perfect in my mind as well.Maybe a bit difficult for most casual listeners but that's its only "fault" if you want to call it that. its all subjective of course as everyone's ears are tuned to their own frequency.
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Mar 21, 2015, 19:09
Mar 21, 2015, 19:07
caldervalium wrote:

Not necessarily a clunker and not ruined either. Plenty of albums could live with the extraction of a misstep of one kind or another - an arrangement, a piece of playing or singing, a bad piece of lyric writing or perhaps just some lazy plagiarism. For Your Pleasure was the only rock album I could think of that just doesn't have one of those moments, at least to my ear. The Pop Group's debut could be another one as could Fugazi's Seven Songs. But we are talking taste here not science so there are no definitive answers. Never got Love myself but I know that puts me in a minority around here!
Pages: 5 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index