32 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8761 posts

Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 28 February 2015 CE
Mar 02, 2015, 19:25
spencer wrote:
1) Frank Zappa - Black Page Symphony ... not a proper release, but a fan's labour of love comp of top quality rarities and live stuff. Meticulous and bloody wonderful, worthy of official release 'as is'. Briefly put up on youtube, snaffled by the estate in the past few days, not before nabbed by mate. Any fans here: hunt down if you can find it elsewhere on t'net. 10/10. Really.......... 2) Can - Peel Sessions ........ 3) Klaus Schulze - Mirage ... finally heard thirty years after I made a mental note to track down. Very nice indeed ....... 4) Gong - Post-Modern Wireless on Radio: The Peel Sessions ... had no idea this existed. Really, really good, and on youtube too ....... 5) Gong - Gong in the '70's ... little known, it seems, Voiceprint release of alt takes, rehearsal and live stuff. Also very good, has thirty mins of the classic lineup included. On youtube, just do a search without band name for 'Om Riff' and 'Blues for Finlay' ........ 6) Carlos Santana - Dance of the Rainbow Serpent ....... 7) Chrome - Half Machine From The Sun ....... 8) DJ Cheb i Sabbah - Krishna Lila ... Attn Squid: reckon this is up your street. Played with sadness though. Reminded I had this by the 'naturally psychedelic' subtopic, as has lovely sounds of India, monsoon rain, birds, wonderfully recorded, mixed with devotional music from N and S India, coupled with discrete beats and ultra rumbly bass from Bill Laswell. Googled Cheb an hour after hearing about Leonard, and found that he too had passed on and I hadn't known. RIP to a fine artist whose work should be better known : ( ....... 9) Spirit - Future Games ... for Spock ........ 10) Mahavishnu Orchestra - Complete Columbia Recordings ... the live disc ....... 11) Richard and Linda Thompson - I Want To See The Bright Lights Tonight ........ 12) Crosby Stills and Nash - CSN ... box of their individual and collective work and CSNY stuff too. Interesting rarities here.. another version of Guinevere anyone? ........ Youtube: Can - Saarbrueken '75/Free Concert/Berline Pop Festival/Agon Agat

Will check out Cheb i Sabbah, thanks!

Also - I regretted not buying Gong in the 70s when it was out on CD, I thought at the time it looked an interesting comp.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index