Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 21 December 2014 CE

14 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
spencer
spencer
3070 posts

Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 21 December 2014 CE
Dec 21, 2014, 22:19
Solsticey Greetings. Longun but furkit..... 1) Spirit - Fresh From The Time Coast - The Best Of 1968-77 ... very fine 2CD Aussie multi-label overview. Wot it sez on tin.. also includes Kaptain Kopter stuff. And it flows. Have thereby introduced my mate to the Farther Along stuff. Was grateful. Course, can't have everything, so had to play.....2) Randy California - Kaptain Kopter and TheFabulous Twirly Birds.. for Downer.... 3) The Necks - Hanging Gardens.. Robot Emperor said on t'Pump he'd bought his bro Bad Co to drive to. NO, I thought, THIS is what he needs, and I'm right. M1, heading north at night in the rain, lamps on the central reservation flick by.. M6 veers off left, then lamps stop..glide along in the dark with this record. Finest sustained hi hat work I've ever heard (KC take note)...... 4) Pixies - Complete B-Sides.... 5) Pixies - At The BBC..... 6) Charles Mingus - Moves..... 7) Miles Davis - In A Silent Way/On The Corner 2fer..... 7) Boards of Canada - In A Beautiful Place In The Country... vital....... 8) Fripp and Eno - Evening Star....... 9) V/A - A Breath Of Fresh Air... great Harvest comp...... 10) Roy Harper - Flat Baroque and Berserk... I want Song Of The Ages played at my funeral. Whatever...... 11) Le Mystere Des Voix Bulgares - s/t...... 12) Frank Zappa - Roxy and Elsewhere....... 12) Davis/Laswell - Panthalassa..... 13) Circulus - Clocks Are Like People...... 14) Yoko Ono - Plastic Ono Band ... the sound of Lennon, Voorman and Starr: phenomenal. My head wasn't ready for this at the time.. Now, though..... 15) Wolf People - Fain..... 16) Curtis Mayfield - The Very Best Of ... very fine Rhino comp...... 17) Caravan - s/t..... 18) Sun Araw/Gengras/Congos - Icon Give Thank.....19) Popol Vuh - Sei still - wisse ICH BIN........20/21) assorted tracks of Junior Kimbrough and Skip James... shamen both. Heard the latter's 1931 original version of Dust My Broom for the first time: HOW THE FUCK DID HE DO THAT?????....... Live: Norman Watt-Roy And Friends @ Boardwalk, Sheff. Was there for the soundcheck.. just them, playing for themselves, for the love of it, no audience obligations. Wild, inspired jazz by four virtuosi. A privilege...... Yewtube (sorry, can't do links, just goooooogle. Worth the effort, all fab. Really): 1) Can - Ta Hyidit Yanit ..a Beeb In Concert from the '74 Babaluma tour. Saw them then at Hammersmith Palais: a perfect match of band and venue. Seedy faded opulence, Hells Angels bopping at the front, Karoli in white..this brought it back. Great .... Y2) Can - Live At Pop 2... ditto.....Y3) Fairport Convention - Live at Pop 2.. Swarb 'n RT magic ...... Y4) Tony Williams Lifetime - Live at Pop 2.. Larry Young RIP...... Y5) Frank Zappa - Capitol Theater Passiac 1978.. OK, it's grainy semifocussed b+w, but what a concert vid nonetheless. Inspired.......and finally, a reward for anyone that's got this far: Y6) Can - Little Star Of Bethlehem (Full Length Version)..... Merry Xmas Muthafuckas xxxx mWah

Unsung Forum Index