Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 21 December 2014 CE

Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Maldoror
Maldoror
720 posts

Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 21 December 2014 CE
Dec 21, 2014, 02:32
Vi Sonus Veris Nigrae Malitiaes and In Umbra Malitiae Ambulabo, In Aeternum In Triumpho Tenebraum - Abrvptvm

Hymn Of The Seventh Galaxy - Return To Forever

The Inner Mounting Flame - Mahavishnu Orchestra

Opera - Zeus!

Lucifer Songs - Ufomammut
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Dec 21, 2014, 14:38
Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 21 December 2014 CE
Dec 21, 2014, 08:46
No Uggs to offer but another week of short days when pomp and prog and other exercises in hubris and well intentioned over-reaching sound pretty good in the gloom ....

Ebony Band - Polish Masterpieces
Pappano / Stemme / Tomlinson - ROH - Wagner: Tristan & Isolde
Rufus Wainwright - Release The Stars
Jascha Heifetz - Showpieces
Velvet Goldmine
Roxy - Siren
Queen - Rainbow '74
Whitesnake - Live...In the Heart of the City
Marillion - Clutching At Straws
Spiritualized - Ladies and Gentlemen We Are Floating In Space (Deluxe Version)
Nick Drake - Made To Love Magic
Deep Purple - Graz 75
Gentle Giant - Giant on the Box
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2611 posts

Edited Dec 21, 2014, 11:36
Dec 21, 2014, 10:09
The Damned 'Music For Pleasure'
Brian Eno 'Neroli'
Thin Lizzy 'Thin Lizzy'
Public Image Ltd 'Album'
National Health 'Of Queues and Cures'
The Beatles 'The Beatles'
Siouxsie and the Banshees 'At The BBC'
Aereogramme 'Sleep and Release' and 'Seclusion'
Dave Brubeck Quartet 'The Great Concerts'
Van der Graaf Generator 'A Grounding In Numbers'
Kate Bush '50 Words For Snow'
Beethoven: Symphonies 2, 3 & 8 (Budapest SO/Tamas Vasary)
Brahms: Symphony no.2 (San Francisco SO/Pierre Monteux)
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Dec 21, 2014, 11:03
Fitter Stoke wrote:
Brahms: Symphony no.2 (San Francisco SO/Pierre Monteux)

I only really know his recordings of French music. What's his Brahms like?
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2611 posts

Dec 21, 2014, 11:28
Terrific, though that's based upon at least four recordings of the Second Symphony (three of which appear in the new 'Complete RCA Recordings' box set) and a BBC broadcast of the Third. As far as I know Monteux never recorded the First or Fourth Symphonies: a great shame, as he manages to blend lyricism and fire precisely - no mean feat - in his readings of the Second. The Third is in mediocre sound alas, but there's a fine interpretation to be heard in the sonic mush.

His Beethoven is worth seeking out as well, if you can find it: there were recordings of Symphonies 1 - 8 on Decca shared between the VPO and the LSO, and a fine Ninth on Westminster, re-released by DG about ten years ago. There was so much more to Monteux than Debussy, Ravel and Stravinsky, marvellous as he was with those composers.
jb lamptoast-morsley
jb lamptoast-morsley
2447 posts

Dec 21, 2014, 13:40
Kikagaku Moyo - Forest of Lost Children. Still liking this. One of my albums of the year

Inspiral Carpets - Life

Aphex Twin - Syro

Jah Wobble - Anomic. Also Deep Space with standout track The Transcendent and Without Judgement - but Anomic was the keeper for me (with Marconi Union). From last year i think

Hapshash and the Coloured Coat - S/T

David Bowie - @ The Beeb, Hunky Dory. You know I still haven't properly listened to Aladdin Sane, Diamond Dogs or Scary Monsters. Following on from last week's thread, there was too much Ziggy on the Beeb sessions and not enough TMWSTW. Didn't mind the tracks from his 2nd eponymous album (latterly known as Space Oddity). Amsterdam is not a very strong track though is it?!!!

Kate Bush - 50 words for Snow, Hounds of Love and The Whole Story. The first two are her strongest albums i would say, and the compilation would be the best album ever if they were all put on the same record.

Some Marissa Nadler album which was pleasant enough, but I could't be bothered with.
Fatalist
Fatalist
1123 posts

Dec 21, 2014, 22:07
Sidsel Endresen & Stian Westerhus – Bonita. Blimey. I loved SW’s Pale Horses avant-jazz-meets-power-ballad album Maelstrom from earlier this year, but this is way too much for me. Random guitar noise plus the type of improvised vocalisation that suggests the lady in question is giving birth to a porcupine. Pass.

Zoltan – Sixty Minute Zoom. Alerted to this on the weekly Norman Records mail-out (which is a very good way of keeping up to date with the latest releases that aren’t Take That, Coldplay, One Direction etc). They gave it 6 out of 10, which for a shop trying to sell you music is the equivalent of calling it dog shit, but I was intrigued by their description of synth-driven prog action, so checked it out on Bandcamp. And it’s actually rather good, and notable for featuring the brothers Matt and Andy Thompson (ex-Guapo and Litmus respectively). Zombi are clearly a very big influence, and while this isn’t quite in their class, it’s definitely worth a listen if you’re into that John Carpenter/Tangerine Dream film score sound: http://zoltanatloz.bandcamp.com/album/sixty-minute-zoom

Gang of Four – Entertainment! Currently reading the 33 1/3 book on this, which is pretty heavy going. I almost hate to say it, but a wise-cracking American academic attempting to analyse a very British piece of musical art history doesn’t really do it for me. Still a cracking album, mind.

The Budos Band – Burnt Offering

Listen With Father:

On childcare duties this week, so plenty of music on during meal times…

King Tubby – Prophesy of Dub. “Is there going to be any singing?” “No, that’s why it’s called dub.” Cue long and futile explanation.

Ruts DC – Rhythm Collision Dub. One of my favourite albums, just brilliant. Has anybody seen the re-formed line-up live? Worth it?

Slowdive – Pygmalion. Interesting how Slowdive have gone from being the whipping boys (and girl) of the original shoegazing scene to being a respected influence on loads of bands that the NME really like now (probably). See also: Ride, who the press couldn’t wait to push out of the door when they originally split. Oh, see also: Pixies. Anyway, I digress. This wonderful album came out in 1995, just as Creation/Alan McGee had thrown their lot in with the lad-to-dad rock of Oasis et al, so got practically zero promotion and sank without trace. But, along with Bark Psychosis’ ‘Scum’, it’s the first real response to Talk Talk’s re-drawing of rock’s aesthetic and compositional boundaries that had occurred with Spirit of Eden/Laughing Stock. It’s dream-like and discursive, while remaining a riveting listen at the same time. Unfortunately, the kids were too busy making snowflakes after breakfast, otherwise I’m sure that would have Absolutely Agreed With Me. Beautiful opening track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PkCST-9iGGs

VA – Love, Peace & Poetry – Asian Psychedelic Music. This had more of an impact. The LP&P compilations are super introductions to all the crazy stuff that was happening globally in the late 60s/early 70s, and I think this one is my favourite. Serious outbreak of ‘Indian’ dancing to this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-FXqnoR2FQ

VA – Sitar Beat – Indian Style Heavy Funk. Which led to us listening to this, another terrific comp. How about this thumping Bollywood appropriation of Jeff Wayne’s ‘Eve of the War’? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WBorOBwRrs
spencer
spencer
3070 posts

Dec 21, 2014, 22:19
Solsticey Greetings. Longun but furkit..... 1) Spirit - Fresh From The Time Coast - The Best Of 1968-77 ... very fine 2CD Aussie multi-label overview. Wot it sez on tin.. also includes Kaptain Kopter stuff. And it flows. Have thereby introduced my mate to the Farther Along stuff. Was grateful. Course, can't have everything, so had to play.....2) Randy California - Kaptain Kopter and TheFabulous Twirly Birds.. for Downer.... 3) The Necks - Hanging Gardens.. Robot Emperor said on t'Pump he'd bought his bro Bad Co to drive to. NO, I thought, THIS is what he needs, and I'm right. M1, heading north at night in the rain, lamps on the central reservation flick by.. M6 veers off left, then lamps stop..glide along in the dark with this record. Finest sustained hi hat work I've ever heard (KC take note)...... 4) Pixies - Complete B-Sides.... 5) Pixies - At The BBC..... 6) Charles Mingus - Moves..... 7) Miles Davis - In A Silent Way/On The Corner 2fer..... 7) Boards of Canada - In A Beautiful Place In The Country... vital....... 8) Fripp and Eno - Evening Star....... 9) V/A - A Breath Of Fresh Air... great Harvest comp...... 10) Roy Harper - Flat Baroque and Berserk... I want Song Of The Ages played at my funeral. Whatever...... 11) Le Mystere Des Voix Bulgares - s/t...... 12) Frank Zappa - Roxy and Elsewhere....... 12) Davis/Laswell - Panthalassa..... 13) Circulus - Clocks Are Like People...... 14) Yoko Ono - Plastic Ono Band ... the sound of Lennon, Voorman and Starr: phenomenal. My head wasn't ready for this at the time.. Now, though..... 15) Wolf People - Fain..... 16) Curtis Mayfield - The Very Best Of ... very fine Rhino comp...... 17) Caravan - s/t..... 18) Sun Araw/Gengras/Congos - Icon Give Thank.....19) Popol Vuh - Sei still - wisse ICH BIN........20/21) assorted tracks of Junior Kimbrough and Skip James... shamen both. Heard the latter's 1931 original version of Dust My Broom for the first time: HOW THE FUCK DID HE DO THAT?????....... Live: Norman Watt-Roy And Friends @ Boardwalk, Sheff. Was there for the soundcheck.. just them, playing for themselves, for the love of it, no audience obligations. Wild, inspired jazz by four virtuosi. A privilege...... Yewtube (sorry, can't do links, just goooooogle. Worth the effort, all fab. Really): 1) Can - Ta Hyidit Yanit ..a Beeb In Concert from the '74 Babaluma tour. Saw them then at Hammersmith Palais: a perfect match of band and venue. Seedy faded opulence, Hells Angels bopping at the front, Karoli in white..this brought it back. Great .... Y2) Can - Live At Pop 2... ditto.....Y3) Fairport Convention - Live at Pop 2.. Swarb 'n RT magic ...... Y4) Tony Williams Lifetime - Live at Pop 2.. Larry Young RIP...... Y5) Frank Zappa - Capitol Theater Passiac 1978.. OK, it's grainy semifocussed b+w, but what a concert vid nonetheless. Inspired.......and finally, a reward for anyone that's got this far: Y6) Can - Little Star Of Bethlehem (Full Length Version)..... Merry Xmas Muthafuckas xxxx mWah
flashbackcaruso
1056 posts

Dec 21, 2014, 22:40
Bridget St John - Songs For The Gentle Man

Pentangle - Solomon's Seal

The Beach Boys - Add Some Music

Belle & Sebastian - If You're Feeling Sinister
Belle & Sebastian - John Peel Xmas Party

Pet Shop Boys - Relentless

Scott Walker + Sunn O))) - Soused

Frankie Goes To Hollywood - Welcome To The Pleasuredome
Frankie Goes To Hollywood - Liverpool
Frankie Goes To Hollywood - Frankie Said

The Rotary Connection - Peace

Windy & Carl - Drawing Of Sound

Propaganda - Noise And Girls Come Out To Play: A Compact Introduction

Bruce Janaway - Puritanical Odes

Bee Gees - Cucumber Castle
garerama
garerama
1111 posts

Dec 21, 2014, 23:43
Aerovons - Resurrection

Bauhaus - In The Flat Field / Mask

The Beatles - Please Please Me / Past Masters

Alice Coltrane - Ptah The El Daoud / Journey In Satchidananda

John Coltrane - Soultrane / Ole Coltrane / A Love Supreme

Gong - Gongmaison / Shapeshifter

Mike Heron - Smiling Man With Bad Reputation

Incredible String Band - Chelsea Sessions / The Hangman's Beautiful Daughter / Wee Tam / Big Huge / Changing Horses / I Looked Up

Malachi - Holy Music

The Mamas & Papas - Gold

Mandrake Memorial - S/t / Medium / Puzzle

Matching Mole - S/t (Expanded 2 cd)

Midwinter - The Waters of Sweet Sorrow

Misericordia - Robins M'aime: Medieval Music & Song

The Monks - Black Monk Time

The Owl Service - EPs

Pentangle - On Air

Pink Fairies - What A Bunch of Sweeties

Pink Floyd - Meddle

Red Krayola - The Parable of Arable / God Bless The Red Krayola & All Who Sail With It

Pharoah Sanders - Karma / Thembi

Georgia Seddon - S/t

Sex Pistols - The Great Rock'n'Roll Swindle

Sham 69 - The Punk Singles Collection 1977-80

Throbbing Gristle (X-TG) - Desertshore / The Final Report

Trembling Bells - The Constant Pageant / The Marble Down (with Bonnie "Prince" Billy)

23 Skidoo - Urban Gamelan

GIGS -

Went to see Mike Heron and the Trembling Bells in Edinburgh on Tuesday night. The set comprised mostly of Incredible String Band songs. The Trembling Bell's arangements are very worthy and honourable to the originals. A few Robin Williamson's songs were covered with Lavinia Blackwall on vocals (the opener, Maya and Waltz of the New Moon) whose voice really enhanced and give justice. The highlight of course was Very Cellular Song which remains one of my desert island favourites.

Waltz of the New Moon: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNNSXLTt7MU
A Very Cellular Song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VyRgAzpKWEA

A HAPPY WINTER SOLSTICE TO ALL YOU
Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index