No U2 album for me

Pages: 4 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
grufty jim
grufty jim
1978 posts

Re: No U2 album for me
Sep 15, 2014, 15:57
I quite like it. A long way from their best, but as it's essentially a free teaser for "Songs of Experience" (which is where all the best songs from the recent sessions will end up), even as a U2 fan I can hardly complain. It's basically the bonus disc of extra tracks that would have inevitably appeared alongside the "Deluxe" version of the new album; except it's being given away for free a couple of months in advance.
Sowiesoso
122 posts

removal tool
Sep 15, 2014, 19:25
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-29208540
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Sep 16, 2014, 09:53
Re: removal tool
Sep 16, 2014, 09:48
Do people really need a removal tool?

Yes, celebrity rockers dropping their album into someone's iTunes account unbidden is kind of creepy and just another form of muzak in a world where getting away from unwanted music has started to feel like a blessed relief.

On the other hand did so many people really need to complain to Apple about it that they actually had to make a widget to make them feel less annoyed?

Listening to the news reports it seems that the English are genuinely more upset by U2 giving them a record than they were about Snowden's revelations regarding metadata monitoring. Is the sorry spectacle of rich old men in leather trousers making terrible music and giving it away for free really that bit more heinous than the creeping erosion of civil liberties? Apparently so.
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Sep 16, 2014, 09:50
Presumably you need to log in to the store to get the album whereas you can get subscribed to podcasts without actually doing that. I haven't logged into the store since it started renaming tracks in my library and giving them new genres and such.
5-Track
5-Track
193 posts

Edited Sep 16, 2014, 22:15
Sep 16, 2014, 22:15
"it seems that the English are genuinely more upset by U2 giving them a record than they were about Snowden's revelations regarding metadata monitoring"

granted I'm in the USA, but if you offered me a PardonSnowden/FreeManning etc widget, I would click the shit outta that thing
Sowiesoso
122 posts

Sep 16, 2014, 22:45
just having a laugh with it - I am not taking the entire thing that seriously. I mean there is no scenario whereby U2 could release an album in 2014 - regardless of its merit -without attracting serious derision simply cos they are U2
Sin Agog
Sin Agog
2253 posts

Sep 17, 2014, 11:10
Like I said, I don't use Itunes as it's extremely pushy and unintuitive. Ifunbox! Still- does itunes automatically sync the bagovshite U2 album onto your device? 'cause having actual memory taken up by u2 is a legitimate grievance. If it's just sitting uglifying your library, that's bad but being mean to whistleblowers is worse.
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Sep 17, 2014, 15:43
No, because I never use the store it hasn't turned up in my iPod or PC iTunes. I don't have an iCloud thing either so I guess I am spared through not being joined up!
Sin Agog
Sin Agog
2253 posts

Sep 17, 2014, 16:05
Didn't mean that to sound so snarky. Of course consumers' priorities are all out of joint compared to actual important events. I guess it's the fact that it immediately affects people (well, plump Westerners), whereas one could ignore the news for months and probably be no more changed than if they'd followed it zealously every day.

What annoyed me the most about itunes, and their bloody library, was that everything gets completely jumbled. I don't do shuffle. I'm not going to sing the praises of sequencing, but if I want to play a folder I should be able to play that folder in that order, but itunes really dislikes the concept of albums and compilations. It makes the whole thing pretty much unusable for me, and gives a slightly disposable tincture to the whole music-listening process.
Sin Agog
Sin Agog
2253 posts

Edited Sep 17, 2014, 16:34
Sep 17, 2014, 16:07
And there is an aura of smugness in assuming that everyone everywhere automatically likes U2. Personally, I haven't liked a single song of theirs, even in their Post-Punk dayze. Just one power chordy dirge after another.

ETA: I just czeched, and it does actually automatically keep the album ticked in your library. Meaning, every time you sync it will automatically go onto your device... How could they not anticipate this might annoy a few people?
Pages: 4 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index