19 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2611 posts

Edited Aug 31, 2014, 20:29
Re: Soundtracks of our Lives 31/08/14
Aug 31, 2014, 20:23
Robert Wyatt '68 -these long-lost tapes capture a young, hungry and inspired creative force let loose in two of America's most legendary studios using time paid for by none other than Jimi Hendrix, who actually contributes a bass line to one track. But the shining muse here is definitely Wyatt, temporarily free between Softs line ups, putting together fascinating, nascent renditions of songs that would ultimately find glory on 'Volume Two', 'Third', 'Matching Mole' and 'Ruth Is Stranger Than Richard'. This is something of a holy grail for Canterbury heads;

Sleaford Mods 'Divide and Exit' - foul mouthed missives belched out with bile by Nottingham's answer to The Streets (or maybe Mark E. Smith, or is it JCC, or Muttley McLad?). I don't know whether to laugh or cry at some of this, but it is undoubtedly entertaining;

Clearlight 'Forever Blowing Bubbles' - hard to categorise this lost French gem from '75: sometimes it's psych, then prog, then avant, then ambient, then the spaciest of space rock. I dig;

July 'July' - many here have waxed lyrical about this magnificent psychedelic record, and I won't demur. It's a belter, worthy to stand alongside Pink Floyd's debut LP (with which it shares many characteristics) and available for less than a tenner at a Sainsbury's near you in a box with The Yardbirds' 'Little Games', Tomorrow's 'Tomorrow', The Idle Race's 'The Birthday Party' and The Gods' 'Genesis'. I am the voice of experience hereā€¦;

Primus 'Sailing the Seas of Cheese' - what happened in the Bizarro alternative world when Andy Partridge joined Rush. Yessir! Yessir! Right! Left!

Thin Lizzy 'Thin Lizzy' - standing alone in Phil Lynott's back catalogue is Lizzy's debut LP which sounds nothing like anything else that band ever went on to do - even its first line up. One day I might feel brave enough to pen a full review for this mesmerising and varied celtic gem. But if you're not in on the secret yet, go get this, pop pickers!

Jethro Tull 'Stand Up' - after hearing the sad news of Glenn Cornick's passing, I played Tull's second LP this morning, listening intently to the fabulously inventive bass lines that permeate every great song. He was a master of the four string craft: remember him this way.

As usual, I listened to a load of classical stuff too, including some newly issued radio tapes of the Amadeus Quartet performing Mozart and Schubert, and some of Frans Bruggen's underrated Haydn symphony recordings. Sturm und drang and all that.

Have a great week

Dave

Unsung Forum Index