24 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Robot Emperor
Robot Emperor
762 posts

Edited Jul 28, 2014, 01:21
Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 27 July 2014 CE
Jul 28, 2014, 00:53
Oh for pity's sake. I've only been mostly listening to Quo.

Status Quo - Dog Of Two Head, Piledriver, Hello, Quo. There was a thread on here recently about non-hackneyed musicians. I tried to sing the praises of the hackneyed that are accidently touched by genius. This is how I think of Quo. Chancers that, due to some bizarre cosmic accident, pulled off a run of arguably six albums that were brilliant... overall. But it was always a fragile genius. You get a feeling listening to them even in their pomp that a shit single with an emasculated Beach Boys was just waiting to happen. Or a (sigh) "party album" or two. But this just makes me love them more. Not only did this unlikely foursome have to harness genius, they also had to walk a razor edge of their own natures.

For fuck's sake. I listened to The Scorpions as well.

Scorpions - Animal Magnetism. There is nothing wrong with this album at all. It is very good. I would put a link to The Zoo in now but I'm using my phone to send this and am not mentally well organised enough to pull this off.

LCD Sound System - s/t. Losing My Edge. Can we adopt this as some kind of site anthem? Anyway, I was there.

Bong - Beyond Ancient Space, Mana-Yood-Sushai, s/t, Stoner Rock. Whoever their guitarist is I Love the way he does his thang. Distinctive.

The Move - Looking On, Message From The Country. Irritatingly brilliant in patches. However, does anyone truly love the kind of rock n' roll pastiches that litter these? Same thing that makes Mott The Hoople albums shit in their own beds. There are some great songs here and the innocent listener (me) is enjoying themselves. And then a throbbing anal fistula of a half arsed doo wop song violates my precious time. Bastard.

Loads of other stuff (90's Radiohead and Verve albums surprisingly stood the test of time this week) but their letting me go home now. Bye.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index