Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8761 posts

Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 27 July 2014 CE
Jul 29, 2014, 13:21
riverman wrote:
Not too much this week:

Urthona - Amid Devonia's Alps and The Elements Rage. Heavy rural (his words) an apt description. Inspired to dig these out after seeing a 3 piece Urthona set the previous weekend.

Holy Sons - A compilation on heavy rotation, tracks culled from Survivalist Tales, Decline of the West, Criminal's Return and Drifter's Sympathy. In other words the more multi-instrumental, less lo-fi stuff. These albums mature nicely with repeated listens.

Qa'a - Sang. This was Cope's last vinyl of the month. Was in touch with them a few years back when they played a gig in London and wanted to check this out but the triple vinyl postage was putting me off at the time. But Victor emailed me the other day with a link to the bandcamp page so listened and was hooked. It's a vast record but Victor explained each of the 6 sides were designed to stand alone or be played in any order. The obvious reference point is Tago Mago in that there are electronic noise pieces interspersed with repetitive, catchier guitar led tracks - and it all has a ritual feel to it. My favourite tracks so far are Retorn Etern, Ascencio, Vermell Profund and No t'aturis mai. Check out the bandcamp here:
http://qaamagiaroja.bandcamp.com/album/sang-2

I've long been tempted by the Qa'a thing, but like you was put off by the postage. Did you get the download then? The vinyl does look jolly nice...
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index