24 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
keith a
9573 posts

Edited Jul 27, 2014, 23:11
Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 27 July 2014 CE
Jul 27, 2014, 23:10
Mala – Devendra Banhart
DB’s 2013 album which has turned out to be a real grower.

The Future Of The Future (Stay Gold) (CD single) - Deep Dish With Everything But The Girl
Missing / Walking Wounded / Single (CD singles) – Everything But The Girl
I was never much of a fan of EBTG until these 90’s singles came out. I've dug them out again after reading Tracy Thorn’s excellent Bedsit Disco Queen autobiography and have been surprised how good they still sound. These being 90’s cd singles they last forever with loads of different mixes which was often a bit of a quality issue, but in these cases.

Close To The Glass – The Notwist
It starts off a bit too bleepy for my liking, but settles down. Not in the same class as neon Golden (what is!?!) but some good moments all the same.

Your Mind Is a Box (Let Us Fill It With Wonder) – Poltergeist
Last year’s Will Sergeant/Les Pattinson instrumental collaboration that I really do like a lot.

Psychic Karaoke – Transglobal Underground
S/T - Beach Bellydance Babylon
A Gathering Of Strangers - Unite
I went to see TGU on Friday night and thought I would warm up by playing Psychic Karaoke from way 1996. Although they were one of my favourite bands of the 90’s I’d not actually seen them before. Highly energised performance that had people dancing from the moment they came on. The other two albums above are TGU associated releases that had passed me by. Incidentally, Beach Bellydance Babylon features covers of Theme From The Avengers, Enjoy The Silence and Smells Like Teen Spirit!

From The Velvets To The Voidoids – V/A
Excellent 2cd compilation that opens with the Velvets and The Stooges. Now I like MC5, but when their number Borderline come on after the likes of Rock & Roll and TV Eye, they sound like some bar-room disciples trying to follow the gods. Apart from the VU and Stooges I also particularly enjoyed hearing the likes of Sonic Reducer and the two Richard Hell numbers but pride of place this week went to Roadrunner. Never mind your Keith Emerson’s and your Rick Wakeman’s, this has to have one of the best keyboard solo’s ever!!

Also...
Feels Like a New Morning – Blow Monkeys
I Feel Loved (CD single) - Depeche Mode
She Paints Words In Red – House Of Love
Granular Tales – The Woodentops
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index