1001realapes
1001realapes
2387 posts

Edited Jul 27, 2014, 15:12
Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 27 July 2014 CE
Jul 27, 2014, 12:03
V.A. - Pebbles Vol. 2

July - st

Frank Zappa - Apostrophe (') / Overnite Sensation (whilst record shopping)

The Rolling Stones - Sticky Fingers

Porcupine Tree - Staircase Infinities

Simon & Garfunkel - The Complete Singles Collection 1965 - 1970

Halfnelson - st

Sparks - A Woofer in Tweeters Clothing

Opeth - Pale Communion

Nilsson - Pandemonium Shadow Show

The Beach Boys - Lost & Found

Tori Amos - Unrepentant Geraldines

V.A. - The Birth of Surf

V.A. - Studio One Sound

Sound Dimension - Jamaica Soul Shake Vol. 1

Terje Rypdal - Odyssey

Bach - Ultimate Bach (discs 1 - 3)

Steve Roach - Ultra Immersion Concert

Keith Hudson - Pick a Dub

Wings - Venus & Mars

V.A. - Lost Legends of Surf Guitar Vol. 1

Bob Dylan - Tell Tale Signs (disc 1)
garerama
garerama
1111 posts

Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 27 July 2014 CE
Jul 27, 2014, 13:39
Chris Bell - I Am The Cosmos

The Big Brother & Holding Company - Live at the Carousel Ballroom 1968

Condello - Phase 1

The Dickies - Incredible Shrinking Dickies

Bob Dylan - Bringing It ALl Back Home / Highway 61 Revisited

The Electric Prunes - Too Much To Dream / Underground

Family - Music In A Doll's House / Family Entertainment

Generation X - Valley of the Dolls

The Glass Family - Electric Band

The Heads - Under Sided

The Incredible String Band - The Hangman's Beautiful Daughter

Iron Butterfly - In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida

Jefferson Airplane - Surrealistic Pillow / After Bathing At Baxters

Kaleidoscope - Dive Into Yesterday

The Kinks - Face To Face

Paul & Linda McCartney - Ram

Nova Mob - Admiral of the Sea E.P

The Owl Service - Garland of Song

Palace Music - Lost Blues & Other Songs

Peppermint Trolley Company - Beautiful Sun

Pink Floyd - The Man & The Journey: Live in Amsterdam 1969

Emily Portman - The Glamoury

Queen Elizabeth - S/t

The Rain Parade - Emergency Third Rail Power Trip / Explosions In The Glass Palace

The Red Crayola - The Parable of Arable Land

John Renbourn - Faro Annie
John Renbourn Band - A Maid In Bedlam / The Enchanted Garden

Spiritualised Electric Mainline - Pure Phase

Traffic - Dear Mr Fantasy

Voice of the Seven Woods - S/t

The Walker Brothers - Portrait / Images

XTC - Skylarking

Neil Young - On The Beach

V/A
The Electric Asylum Vol 2

Electric Soundshow Vol 2
jb lamptoast-morsley
jb lamptoast-morsley
2447 posts

Jul 27, 2014, 14:37
Siouxsie et al - Kaleidoscope

The Phantom Band - Strange Friend. Only had access to a few songs, but seemed up to their usual standard of quitegoodness

Yello - Stella. Now this was a very pleasant surprise. Had only really heard The Race, but this album really held together

Jeff Beck with the Jan Hammer group live - great jazz rock fusion, where Jeff just manages to avoid over doing it as he seems to do with most recordings.

The Reegs - Definitive Collection. A worthy listen for a Chameleons fan such as I. Jesus came to Manchester certainly took me unawares! As did other John Cooper Clarke like songs.

The Psychedelic Sounds of the 13th Floor Elevators

Clara Luzia - @ The New Inn, Tywardreath, 15.7.14. An obvious comparison is Nico, with her austrian accent. Great gig

Lisa Knapp @ The Western Hotel, St Ives. 12.9.12

Honey @ The New Inn, Tywardreath. About May 14 i think.
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2611 posts

Jul 27, 2014, 18:03
The Monochrome Set 'Volume, Brilliance, Contrast'
Traffic 'Last Exit' and 'Welcome To The Canteen'
Buzzcocks 'A Different Kind Of Tension'
Robert Wyatt 'Rock Bottom'
Richard Sinclair 'Caravan Of Dreams'
Cannonball Adderley 'Somethin' Else'
Franz Schmidt: Symphony no.4 (VSO/Moralt)
Carl Nielsen: Sinfonia Espansiva (Danish RSO/Frandsen)
Mahler: Symphony no.5 (BRSO/Kubelik)
Beethoven: Piano Sonata Op.7 (Denis Matthews)
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8761 posts

Jul 27, 2014, 21:04
Nils Lofgren - S/T
Nils sounds so great in the heat. I wish I had a decent CD copy of Cry Tough.

Rick Wakeman - King Arthur
Destruction Unit - Deep Trip
Streetwalkers - Red Card
Anthroprophh - SRR2
Nadja - Radiance of Shadows
Wishbone Ash - Argus
Yes - Yesshows
Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young - Deja Vu
Emerson Lake and Palmer - Welcome Back My Friends

Ty Segall - Sleeper
Got this from Record Corner yesterday. Interesting hearing Ty play with acoustics instead of the big fuzz of his other albums. Great stuff, great songs. Still, it made me want to hear

Ty Segall - Slaughterhouse
which really rocks and sounds great after not hearing it for a while. Oh yes.

My Cat Is An Alien - Alienology
Massive 10CD collection which I've had for a while but not fully explored. Stuck on CD 9 and sounded bloody wonderful on a hot sunny evening, quite meditative and glowing.

Gnod - Chaudelande Volume 2
Those guitars! Just love Genocider, what a track. Can't wait to see them at Supernormal.

Tonto's Expanding Head Band - Zero Time
A synth classic that I'm only just beginning to know and appreciate, even after having it a while.

Tito Puente - Super Allstar
Summer on a record.
flashbackcaruso
1056 posts

Edited Jul 27, 2014, 22:04
Jul 27, 2014, 21:55
The Fiery Furnaces - Gallowsbird's Bark
The Fiery Furnaces - Blueberry Boat

Traffic - Mr Fantasy

The Beach Boys - Surfin' Safari
The Beach Boys - Surfin' USA
The Beach Boys - Surfer Girl

The Monkees - Headquarters
The Monkees - Pisces, Aquarius, Capricorn & Jones Ltd.

Madness - Keep Moving
Madness - Mad Not Mad

Pink Floyd - A Momentary Lapse Of Reason
Pink Floyd - The Division Bell

The Millennium - Pieces
The Millennium - Voices Of The Millennium

Yes - Relayer
Yes - Going For The One

Pet Shop Boys - A Man From The Future (BBC Radio 3 - live at the Proms; wasn't too sure about the merits of this. Too much of it just seemed content to be background music to Juliet Stevenson's narration, which I don't think I could listen to more than once. They should have tried to tell Turing's story entirely in musical terms).
Pet Shop Boys - Yes

Flo & Eddie - The Phlorescent Leech & Eddie
Flo & Eddie - Flo & Eddie (This ended the week with a bit of closure. For months I've had the essence of a song going around my head, but without any exact words or bits of melody to actually help me identify it. I knew I'd only remember what it is should I happen to play the album it comes from. Turns out it was this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_Ly6HtEttE)
keith a
9573 posts

Edited Jul 27, 2014, 23:11
Jul 27, 2014, 23:10
Mala – Devendra Banhart
DB’s 2013 album which has turned out to be a real grower.

The Future Of The Future (Stay Gold) (CD single) - Deep Dish With Everything But The Girl
Missing / Walking Wounded / Single (CD singles) – Everything But The Girl
I was never much of a fan of EBTG until these 90’s singles came out. I've dug them out again after reading Tracy Thorn’s excellent Bedsit Disco Queen autobiography and have been surprised how good they still sound. These being 90’s cd singles they last forever with loads of different mixes which was often a bit of a quality issue, but in these cases.

Close To The Glass – The Notwist
It starts off a bit too bleepy for my liking, but settles down. Not in the same class as neon Golden (what is!?!) but some good moments all the same.

Your Mind Is a Box (Let Us Fill It With Wonder) – Poltergeist
Last year’s Will Sergeant/Les Pattinson instrumental collaboration that I really do like a lot.

Psychic Karaoke – Transglobal Underground
S/T - Beach Bellydance Babylon
A Gathering Of Strangers - Unite
I went to see TGU on Friday night and thought I would warm up by playing Psychic Karaoke from way 1996. Although they were one of my favourite bands of the 90’s I’d not actually seen them before. Highly energised performance that had people dancing from the moment they came on. The other two albums above are TGU associated releases that had passed me by. Incidentally, Beach Bellydance Babylon features covers of Theme From The Avengers, Enjoy The Silence and Smells Like Teen Spirit!

From The Velvets To The Voidoids – V/A
Excellent 2cd compilation that opens with the Velvets and The Stooges. Now I like MC5, but when their number Borderline come on after the likes of Rock & Roll and TV Eye, they sound like some bar-room disciples trying to follow the gods. Apart from the VU and Stooges I also particularly enjoyed hearing the likes of Sonic Reducer and the two Richard Hell numbers but pride of place this week went to Roadrunner. Never mind your Keith Emerson’s and your Rick Wakeman’s, this has to have one of the best keyboard solo’s ever!!

Also...
Feels Like a New Morning – Blow Monkeys
I Feel Loved (CD single) - Depeche Mode
She Paints Words In Red – House Of Love
Granular Tales – The Woodentops
Robot Emperor
Robot Emperor
762 posts

Edited Jul 28, 2014, 01:21
Jul 28, 2014, 00:53
Oh for pity's sake. I've only been mostly listening to Quo.

Status Quo - Dog Of Two Head, Piledriver, Hello, Quo. There was a thread on here recently about non-hackneyed musicians. I tried to sing the praises of the hackneyed that are accidently touched by genius. This is how I think of Quo. Chancers that, due to some bizarre cosmic accident, pulled off a run of arguably six albums that were brilliant... overall. But it was always a fragile genius. You get a feeling listening to them even in their pomp that a shit single with an emasculated Beach Boys was just waiting to happen. Or a (sigh) "party album" or two. But this just makes me love them more. Not only did this unlikely foursome have to harness genius, they also had to walk a razor edge of their own natures.

For fuck's sake. I listened to The Scorpions as well.

Scorpions - Animal Magnetism. There is nothing wrong with this album at all. It is very good. I would put a link to The Zoo in now but I'm using my phone to send this and am not mentally well organised enough to pull this off.

LCD Sound System - s/t. Losing My Edge. Can we adopt this as some kind of site anthem? Anyway, I was there.

Bong - Beyond Ancient Space, Mana-Yood-Sushai, s/t, Stoner Rock. Whoever their guitarist is I Love the way he does his thang. Distinctive.

The Move - Looking On, Message From The Country. Irritatingly brilliant in patches. However, does anyone truly love the kind of rock n' roll pastiches that litter these? Same thing that makes Mott The Hoople albums shit in their own beds. There are some great songs here and the innocent listener (me) is enjoying themselves. And then a throbbing anal fistula of a half arsed doo wop song violates my precious time. Bastard.

Loads of other stuff (90's Radiohead and Verve albums surprisingly stood the test of time this week) but their letting me go home now. Bye.
spencer
spencer
3070 posts

Jul 28, 2014, 02:30
I'm not going to knock Yello - good at what they do. I have their One Second album, which holds up well. Any fans of Billy Mackenzie should check out the version of The Rhythm Divine on Youtube with him on vocals - he wrote the lyrics - one of his finest performances. Dieter Meier's new album seems to have got some good writeups.
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Jul 28, 2014, 10:06
Jul 28, 2014, 05:06
Haven't been doing this of late as I haven't had a lot of time, energy or good health for new music (or much interest in wading through the tide of new releases) but I have a few things (two books and a couple of dvds) to pass on that are kind of linked ....

Kathleen Hanna's The Punk Singer is recently out on dvd and is well worth seeing even if you have only a fleeting interest in the riot grrrl scene, Bikini Kill or Le Tigre. I have no clue how "true" it is but it makes a really interesting bookend to the equally enjoyable but far more deliberately art-house Fugazi film. Especially given that for such a physically, emotionally and politically committed singer she is significantly less pop hook-adverse than many of her contemporaries.

Viv Albertine's autobiography is highly recommended whether you are a Slits fan or not. Half of the book straddles the Glam / Punk era and half is focused on the everyday struggles of being 40/50/60 in post-Punk (rather than Post Punk) England. The Joanna Hogg movie Exhibition, in which Albertine stars, is also just out and well worth seeing if you can handle a movie about the inner lives of middle class artistes that moves at an Eric Rohmer-esque pace. The book and film are inter connected though one is fiction. I read the book first and that may have been a mistake as I had to keep reminding myself that she is not playing herself.

For both Hanna and Albertine it is the personal, everyday struggles and the unexpected shifts in events on which real lives turn that make art move forward. That rather than music being born out of some inexorable / inevitable procession towards greatness, peopled largely by otherwise disposable partners, collaborators and civilians. These are not run-of-the-mill rock hagiographies and better for it.

With that in mind I have to thank Riverman for the Takemitsu prompt a few months back. Going through his work in some detail has been a lot of fun and his wife Asaka's book about their lives together also brings some very welcome everyday detail into the supposedly rarefied world of being a "proper" composer. They sounds like a family you could go to the pub or a game or a gig or a movie with and, like Henze, Takemitsu's music seems to know no bounds set by theorists, academics or obscurantists. His film scores in particular are unimprovable.
Pages: 3 – [ 1 2 3 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index