Pages: 3 – [ 1 2 3 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Sin Agog
Sin Agog
2253 posts

Edited Jul 22, 2014, 23:19
Demos you prefer to the full versions
Jul 22, 2014, 23:07
I'll start the ball rolling (anyone ever notice how many phrases Americans have coined involving balls?) with a couple Lennon demos: the piano demo of Real Love was absolutely perfect to begin with. That bloody E.L.O. Wilbury dude had no right adding his immediately dated paw prints on it. The other Lennon song is the original version of Jealous Guy from the group he was in before he went solo, here called Child Of Nature, and arguably the most straight-ahead hippie dippie track Lennon ever wrote. And you know what, it's much better for it. There's a box-set of Lennon demos that I'd definitely get if I could be sure they were anywhere near this quality (which I doubt).

Oh and I think George Harrison was a friend of John's. I do really enjoy the album of demos/auditions/run-downs he did for Phil Spector so he could get a grip on some of his new material, Beware Of Abkco. Georgey sounded so nervous and tender and 'umble, like he still wasn't quite sure if they were good songs because thus far they hadn't graced anyone else's ears. That's the kind of spirit I dig in a demo. Plus they sound way less like a slick '70s muso dirge in this singer/songwriter form.

Oh and the first ever Sparks album, before they became Sparks proper and were still called Halfnelson, is one of the best things they ever did. It has a few early versions of later songs like Roger which I much prefer. I'm sure I've written about it here before...

"That Sparks thread reminded me what a fabulous album they recorded in 1968 under the name Halfnelson, the original A Woofer in Tweeter's Clothing (which doesn't really have anything to do with the later album of the same name, save for a couple of the same tracks). It was recorded in a studio but they used it as a demo disc to send out to record companies to...spark up an interest. Completely unsuccessfully, of course, what with the bizarre nature of the recording, until Todd Rundgren signed them up three years later. I was just relistening to it and I forgot how much it sounds like an even more warped version of Piper at the Gates of Dawn. I find a lot of the touted Psyche-Pop albums of the day by bands like Tomorrow and the like rather...whelming, but this is a completely wicked release all throughout with the spirit of Barrett pulsing throughout. Well worth looking up to see if you can find it on one of the internets."
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6213 posts

Re: Demos you prefer to the full versions
Jul 23, 2014, 00:13
Orange Juice - the Postcard run-through of the songs that would become their (actually awesome, just not quite as much as these versions) first album, "You Can't Hide Your Love Forever".
Sin Agog
Sin Agog
2253 posts

Jul 23, 2014, 00:25
thesweetcheat wrote:
Orange Juice - the Postcard run-through of the songs that would become their (actually awesome, just not quite as much as these versions) first album, "You Can't Hide Your Love Forever".

Oh yeah, really loved hearing that on The Glasgow School. The final versions were so much wetter than those spiky demos. I remember Edwyn Collins referring to the band on The Old Grey Whistle Test as "four young blades", a description much more apposite on those demos. I was racking my brains trying to think up post-punk examples, but I could only come up with Peel Sessions, which shouldn't really count.
Sin Agog
Sin Agog
2253 posts

Jul 23, 2014, 00:34
'ang about, I think the early Teardrops singles should count, before they got Balfed-up with a tinny sub-Love production for Kilimanjaro. Sleeping Gas, the single, sounded like a total krautsynth The Units And The Mysterions minimalist classic. Can't be asked with the album version.
Markoid
Markoid
1621 posts

Jul 23, 2014, 00:38
The Fall. The Complete Peel Sessions. 1978-2004

Take a week off work!

Magnificent.
Markoid
Markoid
1621 posts

Edited Jul 23, 2014, 03:49
Jul 23, 2014, 00:54
The Lennon demos are on the Anthology box set thingy. Unfortunatley, mines got lost. I have a copy digitized. Sad, as it's one hell of a beast.
Lawrence
9547 posts

Jul 23, 2014, 03:40
Maybe the Siouxsie and the Banshees' demos for Kiss In The Dreamhouse... The only ones off the top of my head...
Markoid
Markoid
1621 posts

Edited Jul 23, 2014, 04:43
Jul 23, 2014, 04:42
Lawrence wrote:
Maybe the Siouxsie and the Banshees' demos for Kiss In The Dreamhouse... The only ones off the top of my head...

'Love In A Void' demos are seriously good. Really hard to find though.
garerama
garerama
1111 posts

Jul 23, 2014, 08:18
Andy Partridge's "That Wave" as featured on Fuzzy Warbles. In fact "Fuzzy Warbles" is the ultimate collection of home recordings / demo - warts 'n' all.

The Slit's "Shoplifting" Peel Session - awesome.

The Beatles "And Your Bird Can Sing" - the version on "Anthology" minus the laughter - commonly booted.

To name but a few ...
Andfurthermoreagain
Andfurthermoreagain
696 posts

Edited Jul 23, 2014, 13:37
Jul 23, 2014, 08:55
I actually prefer some of the early versions of WSYM album tracks featured on the Christ Vs Warhol boot - particularly Sunshine Playroom which is more urgent and not quite as over-produced as the released version.
Will we ever get to hear those Nation Underground demos though?
Pages: 3 – [ 1 2 3 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index