Unsung Forum »
Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 20 July 2014 CE

35 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Lawrence
9547 posts

Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 20 July 2014 CE
Jul 20, 2014, 21:46
A couple of things I got recently I've listened to...

Burial Hex: Initiations 2xlp -- noise/ambient from Clay Ruby from Wisconsin. This is much earlier work without the weird spoken word stuff that came later...

Feelies: The Good Earth -- I just got this, I know I'm a latecomer to this band. I kind of dismissed them when this record came out because of Peter Buck's involvement, more because hearing a key track (the High Road) just sounded too much like REM meets 10,000 Maniacs. But hearing the whole album now, like Galaxy 500 it's actually aged better than most college rock from the mid-late 80s. Feelies' Velvet-isms seem to come more naturally than it does for REM. I guess I should nab their other two classic albums soon...

Column of Heaven: Mission from God -- This just came out and Russ from Needledrop Records encouraged me to get this even though it's been a long time since I bought a metal album. I had a hard time figuring out what speed to play this on, I guess it's a 45-speed 12". Anyways, this Canadian group fits into the genre of "powerviolence" hardcore punk with some discordant electronics dispersed throughout. Let's just say it's a creepy mix of punk/metal/thrash/industrial/black/dark-ambient and it's amazingly well-done for that sort of thing. Just don't play it in a dark room... http://survivalistdeathcult.bandcamp.com/
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index