Unsung Forum »
Compilation Albums.

Pages: 5 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
tk421
121 posts

Re: Compilation Albums.
Jun 17, 2014, 14:58
Flying nun were mentioned above 'topless women talk about their lives' was a great compilation of their stuff

The tenth anniversary compilation issued by matador records was great

I loved the brassic beats albums from skint records when they came out but I haven't listened to them in a long time

The nuggets cd box set is great, I had another one called box of trash (which may be a pebbles compilation) but it's really poor sound quality. The related LA nuggets 'where the action is' is good and was quite a cheap download

Fabric and Back to Mine did some good DJ mixes as have others but it depends on who you like. I still listen to the Nick Warren back to mine mix
Hunter T Wolfe
Hunter T Wolfe
1710 posts

Jun 17, 2014, 15:39
I still think the K-Tel Rolling Stones double LP compilation 'The Story of the Stones' looks and sounds great. Cherry picking the early Decca years with Brian Jones, the tracks leap out of the groove with a raw energy. That album enlivened many a teenage party.

Also did anyone else have the Ronco post-punk collection 'Street Level' - "20 new wave hits, as seen on TV" !? Pistols, Buzzcocks, Stranglers etc., alongside PIL, Magazine, Gary Numan, John Foxx and curios like 'A Walk in the Park' by the Nick Straker Band and 'Butcher Baby' by the Plasmatics. Still fondly regarded.

The Beechwood 'Indie Top 20' collections still stand up well; I have volumes 5 and 7 which bolster the best of the 1988 and 1989 indie charts with tracks from the Strange Fruit Peel Session EPs by New Order and Joy Division (and the Swans 'Love Will Tear Us Apart' with Jarboe vocal).

And two tribute albums from the same time that stand up in their own right: 'The Bridge- A Tribute to Neil Young' for Loop doing 'Cinnamon Girl,' Nick Cave doing 'Helpless' and Pixies doing 'Winterlong' among others, and 'I'm Your Fan- A Tribute to Leonard Cohen' with great contributions again by Pixies and Nick Cave, plus the House of Love, Ian McCulloch, Fatima Mansions etc.

Finally for the moment a 1992 comp called Freedom of Choice on City Slang- for Sonic Youth doing 'Ca Plane Pour Moi,' Mudhoney 'Pump It up,' Red Kross covering the Go-Go's and more. Great fun.
anthonyqkiernan
anthonyqkiernan
7087 posts

Jun 17, 2014, 17:32
Hunter T Wolfe wrote:
'The Bridge- A Tribute to Neil Young' for Loop doing 'Cinnamon Girl,' Nick Cave doing 'Helpless' and Pixies doing 'Winterlong' among others

Others being Lotta Love by Dinosaur Jr. Which was my go-to track on that.
Robot Emperor
Robot Emperor
762 posts

Jun 17, 2014, 18:00
A weird one for me is the Creation sampler Doing It For The Kids. Loved the album, listened to it loads but not keen on any of the band's in isolation.

As a thing in itself it was perfect. To me.
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Edited Jun 17, 2014, 21:05
Jun 17, 2014, 19:37
tk421 wrote:
I had another one called box of trash (which may be a pebbles compilation) but it's really poor sound quality.

it covered something like the first 10 of the vinyl lps plus bunged in a couple of things I don't think were on it. THink it had the Bobby Liebling related Macabre on it among others. But it sounded like they recorded the sets then whacked up the treble, & maybe recorded is from a distance too. I bought the set thinking it was a cheap way of getting the Pebbles material on cd and then heard the sound. Yuck.

tk421 wrote:

The related LA nuggets 'where the action is' is good and was quite a cheap download

yeah that was the set I was talking about plus the San Francisco Love is The Song We Sing. Would have loved Detroit & Texas sets of the same quality.

Stevo
Monganaut
Monganaut
2382 posts

Edited Jun 17, 2014, 19:53
Jun 17, 2014, 19:51
Horses for courses. Like the early stuff, but prefer the better produced and more fuzzed later period. My fav EP by them is the fabulous 'This Heart Don't Run On Blood, This Heart Don't Run On Love' Faultless as far as I'm concerned.
http://www.discogs.com/Scientists-This-Heart-Doesnt-Run-On-Blood-This-Heart-Doesnt-Run-On-Love/release/840011

Don't even mind the rather obtuse 'Human Jukebox' album.

http://www.discogs.com/Scientists-The-Human-Jukebox/release/1503558

Remember seeing them supporting the Sisters Of Mercy, must have been 85' I guess, absolutely storming night, blew the main act away.
Boxnudger
Boxnudger
246 posts

Edited Jun 18, 2014, 12:07
Jun 17, 2014, 22:58
David Toop's Ocean of Sound compilations helped expand my musical mind. My favourite is volume 2.

Vol 1 (Ocean of Sound):http://www.discogs.com/Various-Ocean-Of-Sound/release/322126

Vol 2 (Crooning on Venus):http://www.discogs.com/Various-Crooning-On-Venus-Ocean-Of-Sound-2/release/325973

Vol 3 (Booming on Pluto):http://www.discogs.com/Various-Ocean-Of-Sound-3-Booming-On-Pluto-Electro-For-Droids/release/221944

Vol 4 (Guitars on Mars):http://www.discogs.com/Various-Ocean-Of-Sound-4-Guitars-On-Mars/release/325984
Fatalist
Fatalist
1123 posts

Jun 18, 2014, 14:28
Robot Emperor wrote:
A weird one for me is the Creation sampler Doing It For The Kids. Loved the album, listened to it loads but not keen on any of the band's in isolation.

As a thing in itself it was perfect. To me.

Agree. First sighting of MBV for many people too I expect.
woolybaque
woolybaque
109 posts

Jun 18, 2014, 20:29
I'm just listening to a compilation put together by Robert Crumb, that goes with his wonderful book 'R.Crumb's Heroes of Blues, Jazz & Country' that has, amongst others, Memphis Jug Band's 'On the Road Again', 'Dock' Boggs 'Sugar Baby' and 'King' Oliver's Creole Jazz Band's 'Sobbin' Blues' Great little thing it is.
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Edited Jun 19, 2014, 00:05
Jun 19, 2014, 00:05
I had a couple, possibly still do though I think i found at least one of the booklets stuck to my floor some years ago.
Also read a couple of the books he wrote on the subject.

Interesting to hear him as sideman to Simon Finn on Pass The Distance too.

Stevo
Pages: 5 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index