Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Andfurthermoreagain
Andfurthermoreagain
696 posts

Edited Apr 22, 2014, 12:15
Re: Cardinal lp RSD release
Apr 22, 2014, 12:06
espsummer wrote:
i had the self titled cardinal cd ages ago when i came out. For whatever reason i sold it at some point for something else. It was released for the first time ever on vinyl this past record store day. I ended up getting it and its quite good. A cd was also released with the vinyl and the vinyl was colored yellow. As everything seems to get classified this release is generally thought of as chamber pop. I don't think i really own anything else that is branded as such. Can anyone enlighten me on some good music from this genre? If you like the Cardinal release i would stress that it is worth getting.

I have an oldish re-issue of the Cardinal album on CD which has a mound of extra tracks (ep tracks, b-sides, demos etc including a really good version of Love's Willow Willow). It's a great album and totally at odds with the alternative scene of the time (early/mid 90s), hence its status as a somewhat lost classic.
In terms of contemporaneous releases, I guess you should probably track down Eric Matthews's post Cardinal solo releases (It's Heavy In Here and The Lateness Of The Hour are similarly baroque pop). Richard Davies pre-Cardinals stuff with The Moles is more garage-rock with psychedelic elements - I guess it was Eric that brought the chamber to the room.
Some Belle & Sebastian releases have a similar vibe (If You're Feeling Sinister & Fold Your Hands Child contain several tunes in this vein but they're not to everyone's taste and you'd have to pick your way through a bit of jangly/lightweight indie pop). Youtube Seeing Other People, The Model, & Jonathan David by B&S for examples but not 100% indicative of their overall style.

But if you like the Cardinal album, moving back in time you should definitely go for The Zombies' Odessey & Oracle (Eric's voice is a dead ringer for Colin Blunstone) and get the two Left Banke albums (Pretty Balerina/Walk Away Renee and Too). Absolute musts if you like that whole baroque/chamber pop thing!

Unsung Forum Index